Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronss96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

Just got a 52 crotch cooler split deluxe. Has the original trans but a 36hp engine. Runs great but is it normal for the front suspension to be really stiff? Has new brand shocks, all new wheel bearings and brakes. I’ve owned a few ovals but this is my first split ( drivable anyways lol) this car has 15” wheels until I can pop for some 16’s. It’s stock heighth not lowered. My ovals I had didn’t ride like this. Any ideas? I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I dial this thing in. Appreciate any help from experienced split owners.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Ron
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

Front suspension design is basically the same as any other link pin beam, so if it's excessively stiff something is likely bound up. What shocks are they? If you unbolt them is it still stiff? On cars that haven't been well maintained I've seen link pins seized into the bushings, and arms seized into the beam ends, there's a whole bunch of things that could be the cause. But first look at the easy things.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

I recall the same problem many years ago, when I bought a 51/52 Beetle, crashing in and out of pot holes on Bristol roads. I think I swapped out the front end for another to solve the problem. Your ride will be choppier than in an oval, but should still be OK.

You say that you have new shockers, and I suspect this might be a major part of the problem. People, including suppliers, and even manufacturers oddly, don't seem to realise that it is a basic principle, that front shock absorbers need to compress with a minimum of resistance, when the front wheel has been forced upwards quickly, and offer resistance in the opposite direction, when the leaf springs are trying to return things to normal.

In short, if you grab hold of your shock absorber, when you are trying to pull the two end apart, there should be considerable resistance, but a lot less when you compress them - Single acting. If not, then they are not correct. As a rule. rear shockers have considerable resistance both ways - Double acting.

If you have rears fitted on the front, and often the dimensions are similar, and will physically fit, then your suspension will be badly compromised. In the early days, VW front shockers were painted black, and the rears red, so that they couldn't be confused.

I've bought new front shockers within the last couple of years, for a 58 Beetle, and found them to be double acting, whereas, the originals are single acting. Having been in contact with ZF in Germany by written letter a couple of times (e-mails go astray!), as they have the Boge and F&S trade marks these days, and in addition to a high degree of arrogance, there seems to be a degree of ignorance.

They eventually agreed that they have the original drawings, and that front shockers should be single acting, which they were not (Made in Mexico), and tried to evade the issue by saying that I should return them to the on line retailer I bought them from (not themselves), which I did, and were promptly lost in their system, and then Covid got in the way! So, still no resolution on the subject, and incorrect items still no doubt being sold.

Oddly, GSF here in the UK were selling a cheaper brand of shocker for the car, Amtex, and the characteristics are correct. Looking today, they are selling these shockers for an incredible £12 each. https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/steering-suspension/shocks-components/shock-absorber

In short, trust nobody on the subject, as even the OE manufacturers don't seem to be savvy on the subject any longer, and so do the compression/expansion test yourself to confirm what you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ronss96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info. I’ll pull off the fronts and check them. Appreciate the good info!!
2016 ATS-V COUPE
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

First thing to check is to see if the link pins have been adjusted too tight. Many people do not realize this will cause a very stiff ride. To properly adjust them you must back off slightly after pulling them in. I have found this several times over the years of working on link pin front suspensions.
'63 OG 117
klubbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
I recall the same problem many years ago, when I bought a 51/52 Beetle, crashing in and out of pot holes on Bristol roads. I think I swapped out the front end for another to solve the problem. Your ride will be choppier than in an oval, but should still be OK.

You say that you have new shockers, and I suspect this might be a major part of the problem. People, including suppliers, and even manufacturers oddly, don't seem to realise that it is a basic principle, that front shock absorbers need to compress with a minimum of resistance, when the front wheel has been forced upwards quickly, and offer resistance in the opposite direction, when the leaf springs are trying to return things to normal.

In short, if you grab hold of your shock absorber, when you are trying to pull the two end apart, there should be considerable resistance, but a lot less when you compress them - Single acting. If not, then they are not correct. As a rule. rear shockers have considerable resistance both ways - Double acting.

If you have rears fitted on the front, and often the dimensions are similar, and will physically fit, then your suspension will be badly compromised. In the early days, VW front shockers were painted black, and the rears red, so that they couldn't be confused.

I've bought new front shockers within the last couple of years, for a 58 Beetle, and found them to be double acting, whereas, the originals are single acting. Having been in contact with ZF in Germany by written letter a couple of times (e-mails go astray!), as they have the Boge and F&S trade marks these days, and in addition to a high degree of arrogance, there seems to be a degree of ignorance.

They eventually agreed that they have the original drawings, and that front shockers should be single acting, which they were not (Made in Mexico), and tried to evade the issue by saying that I should return them to the on line retailer I bought them from (not themselves), which I did, and were promptly lost in their system, and then Covid got in the way! So, still no resolution on the subject, and incorrect items still no doubt being sold.

Oddly, GSF here in the UK were selling a cheaper brand of shocker for the car, Amtex, and the characteristics are correct. Looking today, they are selling these shockers for an incredible £12 each. https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/steering-suspension/shocks-components/shock-absorber

In short, trust nobody on the subject, as even the OE manufacturers don't seem to be savvy on the subject any longer, and so do the compression/expansion test yourself to confirm what you have.

Hi Martin,

are you sure about the shocks? I've been looking into it also and found this in the progressive refinements.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

Interesting. As an example, I was referring to shocks for a 58 Beetle, and I have an original here in my office, which is definitely single acting (Confirmed by ZF), and believe this was true for the majority of cars. Not heard of double acting on the front before. Goes to show that you can expected the unexpected with VW! Have you checked what you have on your car?

As a youngster, I started to build a go-cart, and for simplicity, I thought I would leave out suspension. However, my father who had been a development/stress and chief hydraulics engineer for a number of engineering companies (He was involved with aircraft design during WW2, and tried to join the navy, but was told he couldn't, as he was in a 'Reserved Occupation', https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_occupation It seems the engineering sector had the most reserved occupations according to Wikipedia)

Anyway, he explained to me that if I wanted something controlable, then I should at the very least have some suspension on the front, and went on to explain about single and double acting shock absorbers. Not that I took all that in at the age of 10!

As he pointed out, if you are driving along, and hit something in the road, then in order to maintain stability, the front wheel needs to be able to rapidly move upwards, and allow the spring to absorb the energy, and then return downwards in a slower manner, with the spring releasing its energy, and resistance from the shock absorber controlling the wheels rate of descent.

I have no idea why cars from August '49 should want double acting shock absorbers on the front, because this will result in a choppier ride. Says they had to reinforce them, no doubt as the transmitted shock, wasn't absorbed in the usual manner. So much for being a 'progressive refinement'. The idea was obviously later abandoned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

A few things that come to mind after reading about the shock absorbers. Double acting shock absorbers are generally valved differently for compression and extension, usually lighter valving on compression than extension. The valving should take into account the weight of the car, but generic replacements just use the length to determine fit. VW specific front shocks are lightly valved as there is so little weight. If someone fitted generic shocks that are intended for a front engine American boat, it will definitely ride stiff. It would be my first check, as unbolting them is easy enough.
Ronss96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 52 Hoffman cc split question Reply with quote

Ended up being the wrong shocks on the car. They were later model shocks and were compressed as far as they would go. I got the 4 correct shocks and all good! Getting the quirks out one by one.
Thanks for the input!!
2016 ATS-V COUPE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: