Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint color under the dash 62 B Cab
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Paint color under the dash 62 B Cab Reply with quote

Need to paint the panel under the dash above the pedals on my 62 B Cab. Looks to be black satin. Will sand, prime and rattle can it. Will take the seats and radio out.
Does black satin sound right?
Slip
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color under the dash 62 B Cab Reply with quote

Yes
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Paint color under the dash 62 B Cab Reply with quote

Thanks, will start this project in a few days, that and converting my 6v cigarette lighter with a dedicated 12 V inverter to charge my cell phone & my garmin when traveling.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Paint color under the dash 62 B Cab Reply with quote

Finished priming & painting the metal under the dash, satin black, took seats out and steering wheel off, pulled ashtray & radio out. Used my sons old dog bed to get my fat ass under there and be somewhat comfortable. I’m 81 so went pretty slowly. Masked everything I could.
Pretty happy with the result with a few small runs but I’m the only person who knows they're there.
Glad to have that job done as I’ve been thinking about it for five years.
Slip
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Paint color under the dash 62 B Cab Reply with quote

At the same time installed a 6 to 12 volt inverter, wired to the cig lighter to charge cell phone & run my Garmin when traveling. So far so good!
Slip
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color under the dash 62 B Cab Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
At the same time installed a 6 to 12 volt inverter, wired to the cig lighter to charge cell phone & run my Garmin when traveling. So far so good!
Slip

No need for converters since your phone and GPS "chargers" are voltage reducers which reduce down to typically 5.5 volts. Your cigarette lighter, if sorted properly will easily charge these items. I have actually installed a pretty slick setup in all 4 of my 6v cars as seen in this fellow 356 Registry member's video and it works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJHYvoDKJpA

i made one small adjustment to this installation, the fellow who made the video sent me this link to an even more compact USB unit:

https://amzn.to/3vExV6B

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color under the dash 62 B Cab Reply with quote

Sebastion,
Interesting point. I thought the same thing until I tried my Garmin & phone on a trip from No WI to Ohio.
First I found the German cig lighter socket is slightly larger than the US one so the plug kept falling out. Read about slipping a US cig barrel into the socket and that worked.
Then I found my phone and Garmin would only charge occasionally and of course my Garmin battery went flat near my destination in heavy traffic not knowing exactly where i was. Very frustrating.
Possibly my 6 volt socket was not getting a full six volts.
Now with the 6-12 volt inverter I’m sure of a full charge and working Garmin.
I like the magnetic phone holder but I use a desk charger where I put my phone on it. Also have a flat charger in my new PU truck. These won’t work with the metal plate under the phone case.
Slip
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: