Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

You just never know
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: You just never know Reply with quote

I’ve been driving past this for over 30 years and never gave it any thought and why would I ? It appears to be vacant land but back in the late 60s early 70s it was a trash dump. That’s ok but now that this area is building up and being developed someone dropped a dime to the EPA and reported radioactive waste had been dumped here with no regard. Sure enough the Govt came down took samples and confirmed it. They quietly cordoned off the area and went to work. This went on for weeks and nobody knew what was going on but as always word leaked to the press and now it’s an EPA superfund clean up site. The government solution here ? Remove some of the dirt and cover the whole area with clay to just seal it off. No doubt there are many more areas around the country just like this but with the passage of time they are forgotten. https://www.fox23.com/news/epa-works-cover-thousan...TNANCGBTM/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It occurred to me using an antiquated term “dropping a dime” might not be understood by anyone under 40. It pertains to using pay phones and making a 10 cent call 😀

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedRobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

I don't think it meant that to "dime bag" Darrel? but I got the riff!

Yeah those sites are all over, there was one around here called BRIO

They built an entire neighborhood on it... THEN....it was discovered Shocked

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=0602601
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Just so I understand, it a nuclear waste dump site and the gubment/ epa didn't know..
OK, sounds good 👍
Is/was there a nuclear power station in the area?
Maybe someone offered up the land for a buck or two..
Be interesting to find the back story.

I think I need intervention, I'm getting too suspicious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Before i bought my house i checked to see if there was anything there before.

On Long island there were many sites that supported World War II and wanted to make sure there wasn't a plant that dumped waste in the ground. Maps showed it was undeveloped land.

Grumman had a huge complex in Bethpage, NY... about 7 miles north of my house. In the 60s they downsized and in the 80s they closed and the land was sold off. Currently there's subsidized housing and some commercial buildings.

They spend decades dumping waste into the ground and contaminated the ground water. While my area is not effected i've i've installed a reverse osmosis filter system in my house.

https://www.wshu.org/long-island-news/2022-07-14/n...page-plume

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
Just so I understand, it a nuclear waste dump site and the gubment/ epa didn't know..
OK, sounds good 👍
Is/was there a nuclear power station in the area?
Maybe someone offered up the land for a buck or two..
Be interesting to find the back story.

I think I need intervention, I'm getting too suspicious.

This is a case of illegal dumping of radioactive waste material and it was serious enough to trigger the EPA to work on it for over two months. They showed up driving unmarked white trucks and they tried their best to keep it all quiet. It made local news only for a day or two. Nothing to see here folks. The nearest nuclear power plant in Russellville Arkansas 190 miles from here. Less than 20 miles is Air Force plant #3 built during WW2 and it too is a known toxic waste dump. They turned out thousands of bombers for the war. Later it belonged to Douglas and now it’s a school bus factory. Up until the late 1980s they injected waste into deep wells and poisoned the ground water.

Seems like when it’s the Govt or a favored defense contractor shit gets swept under the rug. I know from my time in the military we polluted the hell out of the water right off San Diego and Long Beach California. Nothing to see here folks.😀http://www.cpeo.org/lists/military/2019/pdfWNgAeyWNJH.pdf
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

They set up the incinerator about 3 miles upwind. Now known as route 66 state park. One of the contaminated horse ranches can be seen from my back windows.
Lets add the lead poisoned Big River due to lead mining south of st louis. And the old glass factory that was in Pevely, MO.
Now they want to set up some kind of lithium processing center in St. Louis. Can't wait to see what kind of problems that causes.
https://www.google.com/search?q=times+beach+disast...p;ie=UTF-8
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

i dont follow ,what is toxic about a glass factory? and doesnt lead come out of the planet on its own? isnt that where we get it? radiations discovery pushed the (alleged) age of the earth back by a few million years since it contributes to the planet staying warm and not cooling too fast internally.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

There is lead, or used to be, in glass.
https://www.google.com/search?q=big+river+lead+con...p;ie=UTF-8

https://www.kbia.org/science-and-technology/2012-0...-120-years
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

there is lead oxide in glass yes. but that would have been turned into glass and so its not lead that can get inside you. unless youre eating the dirt that whatever small particles are still in near where their batch house used to be? lead doesnt give off a ray or a beam. that smelter you linked to is not a glass house they truned ore into metal that will release all sorts of bad stuff! but then again a few volcanic eruptions, and some earhtquakes can also unleash the same minerals into the world. many geologic events can expose the same items.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Z, I was in the navy in 71' from Hawaii to Japan was a toxic dump, really opened my eyes.
Why I have the attitude of, the government doesn't give rats rear-end about pollution.
Always Always follow the money.
This thread is similar to the 'ev's are bad thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
Z, I was in the navy in 71' from Hawaii to Japan was a toxic dump, really opened my eyes.
Why I have the attitude of, the government doesn't give rats rear-end about pollution.
Always Always follow the money.
This thread is similar to the 'ev's are bad thread.

Yes it is and I agree but nobody connects all the dots until it effects them. Seeing the men in hazmat suits and unmarked vehicles pisses us off😀
The Navy yes I was a machinist mate working the engine room. We dumped vast amounts of shit directly into the water. Who’s gonna stop us ? We are the Govt.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

If itscacSuperfund site activity is public, but those reports aren’t written overnight. There will be a site admin posted at the epa website once the paperwork catches up

What’s the nature of the radioactivity ?

Cobalt…medical?

Thorium…aerospace?

Other ?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
there is lead oxide in glass yes. but that would have been turned into glass and so its not lead that can get inside you. unless youre eating the dirt that whatever small particles are still in near where their batch house used to be? lead doesnt give off a ray or a beam. that smelter you linked to is not a glass house they truned ore into metal that will release all sorts of bad stuff! but then again a few volcanic eruptions, and some earhtquakes can also unleash the same minerals into the world. many geologic events can expose the same items.

My bad. It's hard to keep track of all the contaminated land in the area. Weldon Spring, Bridgeton, sure there are more .
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Port Jeff has a huge TEC plume working it’s way down ftom the Old Lawrence Aviation plant up hill. There is a permanent water processing facility next to the school sucking TEC out of the ground water.

Corporations don’t pollute, people do. Gerald Cohen, cEO, was convicted and ordered to pay 48M cleanup costs and serve one year in jail.

He cleaned titanium For the F114 Tomcat with TEC for years, had tons of leaking barrels on their site, then claimed they aren’t the source of TEC in the ground water.
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

It is not always big companies. We had a neighbor dig a big hole in his yard and started dumping old paint in it. He was an immigrant paint contractor and that’s how they did in his home country. The proper authority was contacted and stopped him and made him clean it up. The official said if it made it into the water shed our whole neighborhood could have been condemned!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
It is not always big companies. We had a neighbor dig a big hole in his yard and started dumping old paint in it. He was an immigrant paint contractor and that’s how they did in his home country. The proper authority was contacted and stopped him and made him clean it up. The official said if it made it into the water shed our whole neighborhood could have been condemned!

If you have a in-ground oil tank, it's best to remove it before it leaks.

Otherwise you'll be paying $$$$ to get it cleaned up.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

I grew up in Toms River. Home of Little League champions and a high profile murder case https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/perfect-mar...-1.3482888

NJ has 115 Super Fund sites!!

and a book written about 1 of our super fund sites in town.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toms_River_(book)

I have lost several class mates to cancer because of this Dow/Ciba geigy mess. I swam in the same rivers/lake/bay and ocean it effected. Only difference was their houses were right behind the factory and property.

We also had this one https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=0200662
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:

I used to work road construction in the summers while I was in college, and every single day we would fill a 5-gallon bucket with diesel fuel and dip our shovels in it to keep the hot asphalt from sticking to them.

At the end of the day, whatever was still in the bucket got dumped into the nearest drainage ditch or storm drain; probably about 15 gallons of diesel went straight into the ground water every week.

That was 30 years ago and I still feel bad about it.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
typ914 wrote:

I used to work road construction in the summers while I was in college, and every single day we would fill a 5-gallon bucket with diesel fuel and dip our shovels in it to keep the hot asphalt from sticking to them.

At the end of the day, whatever was still in the bucket got dumped into the nearest drainage ditch or storm drain; probably about 15 gallons of diesel went straight into the ground water every week.

That was 30 years ago and I still feel bad about it.

I shoveled asphalt into pot holes when I was 15. I guess our crew was a bit more friendly to the environment, because we used a paint brush dipped in diesel on our shoes and shovels Laughing
OK, marginally better perhaps. We didn't dump anything in the gutters anyway.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: You just never know Reply with quote

My Dad worked for 25+ years at E.I. Dupont (now Savannah River Site), otherwise known as "The Bomb Plant." Died of cancer - he was a non-smoker but did carpool with a bunch of smokers.

I can't imagine what goes on out there.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: