Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Terrible news DustBuggy builder dies
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Terrible news DustBuggy builder dies Reply with quote

Not sure if there is a thread on this topic already but really hit hard. Young SoCal baja couple killed/injured by racing BMW in Santa Clarita.

Dust Buggy had given me hope in the younger generation still interested in this dying hobby.

Hope the community can help her as I know it can.

Link

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible news DustBuggy builder dies Reply with quote

I've discussed this with someone on another thread about Super Beetle Baja here in the HBBOffroad forum. Spencer and Ashlynn have a Super Beetle Baja that has worked surprisingly well.

Ashlynn raced in a Baja Bug taking my son's place in the right seat earlier this year. She weighs nearly 100lbs less than my son Warren. So advantage to her in the race car. Although Warren has many years of experience at the job of co-driver in an offroad race car. But that was at Primm, which is a sprint race on nearly a "short course" and no odds of getting lost or having car trouble that the co-driver could manage and with pits nearby at all times, no need for co-driver to change tires on the course. Warren had nothing but good things to say about Ashlynn and Spencer. In fact, Warren buckled Ashlynn into his seat in the race car and hooked up her helmet communications and fresh air supply and gave her a quick heads up about what needs to be done in the car during the race. PS...Our team won the class and took most of the top finishing positions with our several cars in that race.

While the video linked above will tell all this, in case you don't want to follow the link, I'll give a quick synopsis. In the head-on crash, Ashlynn was critically injured; broken bones, amputated toes, severe burns on much of her body. Still getting more surgeries. Spencer didn't survive. While her personal physical injuries are horrific, I'm sure that one of her most painful injuries is the loss of Spencer. In their videos they showed that they were very much in love.

I haven't met them myself, but got to "know them" pretty well through the You Tube channel. I recommend following that link above and going through the list of videos. I felt as if I personally know them very well. They were a VERY NICE young couple. I've been torn up as if they were both very close friends. I still hope to go offroading with Ashlynn in our Baja Bugs.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible news DustBuggy builder dies Reply with quote

I have not been able get my head around this. I had been following the YouTube videos researching the Super Beetle baja bug situation, but kept watching them because of their awesome attitude and approach to the hobby. Pure joy and having healthy fun building and driving the car in the most classic of VW ways. Then I saw the post in the other thread and went on to read about Spencer's passing. The cruel irony of it is that both vehicles were into the automobile hobby but Spencer did his racing where it was safe, off the road. Harvest every day. That girl's attitude towards her recovery in her recent video is something to behold. That is true strength.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
8urrito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible news DustBuggy builder dies Reply with quote

So sad, I picked up my half-complete Baja Bug a few weeks after the accident, and the youtube algorithm quickly turned me onto their channel, which I put on to keep me company while working late nights in the shop. I had no idea about the accident until I checked out their Instagram page after working through their videos over the course of a few months, where she had been posting updates about the accident. Truly heartbraking.
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible news DustBuggy builder dies Reply with quote

So sad. I remember finding their youtube page when I was in the middle of my build. Watched all their videos. Rest in Peace to those killed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: