Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint Dilemma
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

Back in the day I painted my Ghia with Sherwinn Williams Ultra 7000 series auto paint. A few years ago I touched up the engine compartment and painted some other things that I hadn’t painted before. The paint was still available in my color so all was good.
Now however, one of the pigments is no longer available, so I’m seeking advice from the community.
I hope to paint some other things on the car but wonder what is a good paint to use. I have PPG stuck in my brain for some reason but I’ve also seen House of Color mentioned. Trying to stay with a base and a clear and I get a little overwhelmed when trying to shop online. I know I won’t get an exact match but what I want to paint isn’t directly next to anything previously painted so I’m thinking close will be good enough.
It was easier when there was a store I could go to and pick the brains of the counter people to get whatever additives required and the ratios to mix them but now all the internet can find is a store 2+ hours away and most website returns are either advertisements or Amazon.
So to make this short, what is a good paint and clear and what is a good outfit a non production painter can call to get what I need?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

The only base coat clear coat I’ve used is the PPG ShopLine. It’s considered a decent production product. You mentioned you can’t get the Sherwinn Williams due to one pigment is no longer available. This seems to be a problem nowadays. I don’t want to discourage you, just be aware.

I believe the smallest amount is probably a pint, maybe half a pint? Obviously you’ll need more clear. Also, don’t mix brands. It can creat issues.

Call a PPG or any other supplier you like and ask if they can match your SW paint code. Hopefully you have that. Like you said, it sure helps when you can walk in and get counter help.

Just curious what you spray with. That makes a big difference too.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

I have a Debilvis HVLP set. Don’t recall the model. Work well but I’m having trouble finding a place to buy paint. All the PPG stores around here are residential. The only automotive store that comes up in a search is Sherwin Williams.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timscc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

Try searching for Automotive parts stores that carry Axalta or BASF. The body shops in your area buy their paint from somewhere local. Most of these shops will be able to match your Sherwin Williams color.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I have a Debilvis HVLP set. Don’t recall the model. Work well but I’m having trouble finding a place to buy paint. All the PPG stores around here are residential. The only automotive store that comes up in a search is Sherwin Williams.

Buy locally from Sherwin Williams colors and paint the whole car.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

around here I can get Nason at carquest, PPG at the jobber, and probably sikkens at the local body shop. call around. One of the lines will still be able to mix the color. Then you can put whatever clear you want over it.
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

I think your best bet is to find the closest basf/glasurit dealer. They will be most likely be able to mix the color you need. I used to use ppg til I started having my printed getting or VW codes mixed. Now I use glasurit. They were even all it to mix the proper color for my 56 oval fuel tank!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

The shop that painted my Ghia had our local National Coatings and Supplies location here in Raleigh mix up the L390 Gulf Blue paint code.

Not sure where you are in Georgia, but they have several locations in the state.

https://www.ncsssi.com/

https://www.ncsssi.com/portfolio-items/automotive-coatings/

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Dilemma Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.
I'll look into them.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: