Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormin189
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure if this is going to work, but it's happening
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

I have a couple of Keihin 40mm CV carbs off of Sportsters that I want to try on a NA VW, I thought about doing a single and duals. For a single it would not be hard to just make a elbow adapter to bolt one on a stock manifold.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

I don't know how I posted twice
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]

Last edited by earthquake on Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
I have a couple of Keihin 40mm CV carbs off of Sportsters that I want to try on a NA VW, I thought about doing a single and duals. For a single it would not be hard to just make a elbow adapter to bolt one on a stock manifold.

eQ

Tried this with a 40mm YZ 450 carb made a elbow adaptor to the stock DP intake fuel bowls in bike carbs are pretty small, you don't have a real choke plate just fuel/air bypass that you have to get out and turn on and off, they don't like fuel pressure meant for gravity feed. The one I have is worth 400 bucks so its expensive and the acl pump has a small capacity you can increase that with Boysen products that's 125 bucks it just gets stupid. Big bucks were spent to make it work on a single cyl high rev motor and thats all it works on. Your putting a race carb on a tractor. Now a Harley carb thats different both VWs and Harleys dont rev for crap so much better match if your VW can rev your not using a harley carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

My favorite carb to drive off road is the SU HIF series of carbs. Amazingly stable off road at weird angles and rough ground. Doesn’t seem to care what angle it is tipped at as long as it isn’t completely on its side. My buddy had a rang rover with a 3.9 v8, originally fuel injected but converted to a Holley carb. I can’t remember if it was a two or four barrel, I think four. It didn’t like rock climbing and would flood out easy. Same with large jolts, like a sudden drops. He swapped it out for a factory 3.5 manifold and dual SU HIF6 carbs, and the difference was night and day. On the road the Holley was definitely more punchy when you have it a foot full, but dang those SU HIF carbs are nice driving carbs. Especially off road.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

My friends 1275 Mini had dual SU carbs made 143hp to the wheels with a aluminum head ported to the max actually cracked the head and had oil down the intake runners from the valve cover area welded it up made 123 still damn fast car. I believe the cheapest and most proven old school draw-thru turbo method is with a SU carby. They are getting very rare. $ going up and up for the real deal. 40MM SU carbs in the hundreds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

Don’t look at the price of a new SU HIF44 (modern metric equivalent of the 1-3/4” HIF6).

Stormin189
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

https://youtube.com/shorts/9Sjnrb2x5IM?feature=share
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:

eQ

The Keihin's are a different type of carb than "normal" carbs. When you open the throttle, you're not really opening the throttle. You're just opening the flapper valve so that the carb itself can open the throttle. The throttle barrel...the round part that goes up and down..actually controls the throttle and it's controlled by the vacuum of the motor. You open the throttle flapper valve and that causes the carb to raise the throttle barrel.

They're actually very responsive on motorcycles if they're turned right. They don't need massive amounts of fuel injected by the accelerator pump because the throttle barrel..if tuned right will not raise faster than the engine can take it. You can slam that gas pedal down as hard as you want but the carb will not open up until it's ready to. The diaphragm in the top controls that.

I have no idea how well they work on offroad vehicles but on big street bikes, they're very nice.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

The throttle is just that, a throttle butterfly. Being a constant depression carb, the pistons function is to open/close in response to vacuum between the piston and throttle, and also raise and lower the tapered needle to meter fuel. The fuel metering is controlled by a tapered needle fitted to the piston. As the piston rises, the effective let orifice increases to allow more fuel to enter the air stream.

Constant depression carb: vacuum at jet constant, jet size variable

Traditional carb: vacuum at jet changes with air speed, jet size fixed

Genius design, CD carbs.

Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

All true! I ran a big set of Mikuni CV carbs on my Kawasaki street bike and loved them. They are harder to tune for modified engines than the old style because there are more variables...in addition to the main fuel jet, needle diameter and taper, you have to tune the main diagram spring and air jets too.

Keep notes on what changes you made so you can go back to "stock". They are very smooth and responsive and can make some serious horse power if tuned right. Truthfully though; I don't know how they work on larger vehicles and engines. On a five hundred pound bike with 180 horses, little changes make big differences.
Stormin189
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

Link
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

My friend has this in his yard.
Stormin189
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

Those are pretty cool, do you know what kind of sidedraft they are, are they on single port heads?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

Those are SU H or HS series carbs. You could probably get soMe good money for those from the vintage speed crowed! Although cool, those are not the SU carbs you want for off road. The ones you want for hard off road driving are the HIF series, specifically with the newer “stay up” float.

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
My friend has this in his yard.

Looks like there is a roller crank in that tub too.

eQ
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

Wow. I didn't notice the crank. The carbs caught my eye, as I spent many a weekend, just out of high school, trying to figure out if my '68 MGB was running crappy due to the carbs, or the dual points.
Definitely old school stuff.
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

your putting Harley parts on a VW? that thing will never have oil in it. lol to habitual leakers put together =major oil leaker. cool idea though. should be neat if it you get it to work.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Harley SS carb, draw thru Turbo 1641 Reply with quote

Yes it's been done before. A fellow who used to be here did it on his Baha Bug, I don't recall his name. Give me a few minutes...

Here you go.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: