Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what single barrel carb for blow through?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

I'm looking to make the most I can with something small, and being as VW guys know that struggle I decided to come back here and ask for some pointers.

What is a good single barrel downdraft carb for a 1300cc engine for forced induction? I've got a suzuki samurai that needs some help in the power department. I know, its not a vw. But if you ask around on the offroad forums, i get told to either stick a chevy 350 in it or to go with a 1.6 16v engine. all of the 1.6 16v engines in the area are going to cost several grand, and the 350 is not even a consideration due to weight.

The carb flange doesn't matter, I'll mod a manifold for science. For timing control I'm thinking a CB black box so that it can keep a decent amount of timing off boost but still have enough retard when its under power.

The turbo is going to be a k03 off of a TDI, and the goal is 100ish HP. Shooting for the moon, i know... The cam is going to be the stock cam (no idea on the specs), the head is an 8 valve head, unported, stock valves, redline no more than 6000.

The one catch is that this is an offroad 4x4. Its going to see some odd angles, and this is what stumps me on the carb. Is there anything out there that will be able to maintain a decent AFR when it gets to a steep incline when it will actually be helpful to have the added power?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

You might want to rethink that turbo. It is sized for a 1.9L engine. Putting it on a 1.3L engine is not going to be a very good match. You won’t likely see any boost below 4000 rpm.

Got find a Suzuki 1.3L at the wreckers and grab that turbo.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

The turbo is ok for a 1300 gasoline engine. Wrt carburetion. Think Renault 5 GT turbo
Another good option was to harvest the fuel injection and turbo from a Fiat Uno turbo or Fiat Mille in the south American market.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

My brother has one of those things, he's blowing through the OE TBI, with a bigger injector and an OLD megasquirt.

Is that a good setup?.....not really. funky at low speeds, It does work tho, especially at wot
IMO the stock carb ran better than the stock TBI.
I don't know what carb to use.... something from a motorcycle?
Or put a 1.6 head on it with a port injection manifold.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Wrt carburetion. Think Renault 5 GT turbo

hmm... That looks like a decent choice, but they seem to be exceptionally rare in the US. Rebuild kits look to be available though.

Know of any two barrels with a tight bore spacing? The intake is for a 2 barrel. Think Toyota corolla 3k carburetor sized. They are nearly a bolt on.

EFI is not off the table, but that would probably be a microsquirt setup with a Rochester TBI from a 80's chevy. Cheap parts available everywhere. I'm trying to avoid EFI to prevent having a hodgepodge of parts again. Though being as the samurai carb is expensive and complicated, it was going to be replaced with a Toyota 3k carb anyway.

modok wrote:
something from a motorcycle?

There is a turbo kit that uses a harley CV carb, but tuning on it is pretty limited. With the turbo setup they're having to remove the main jet entirely and then drill out the emulsion tube to get enough fuel on just 5psi. It works, but seems like a bad fit.

I've heard rumors of people running Mikuni VM carbs on an ITB setup with great success, but with no accelerator I question how well that would work.

modok wrote:
Or put a 1.6 head on it with a port injection manifold.

Also an option, but at that point the bottom end would go in too. I'm kicking myself for letting go of a chevy metro that had a g13bb engine in it. 16 valve SOHC with distributorless ignition and mpfi. right around 100 hp from factory. The engine bolts right to the transmission, motor mounts work too.

What about a PICT-3 carb?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

I’m blowing into a 40 drla on a 1600. So far so good.

I always wanted to try a Harley carb. Bike guys do blow into them.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

How about an AMR500 supercharger?
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

rayjay wrote:
How about an AMR500 supercharger?

I've considered it.
https://pulleyboys.com/cart/suzuki-samurai-4-camden-supercharger-kit.html

If that was the chosen route, I'd design a custom intake, 3d print the patterns and sand cast the bugger. I decided against it though because I want power steering and the packaging becomes a bit problematic.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

I love carbs. But if you have to ask if the grass is greener on the other side then your maybe not a carb guy. Solex is a complete turd. If a carb has too many features then don't use the extra features,. Easier than adding circuits to a carb.
Put injectors in the manifold. When in 2022...the easy route is not carbs.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

My dad bought his 3k carb from certified machine and loves it. Don’t have any idea about turboing one though.
https://www.certifiedmachine.com/parts-for-samurais#
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

People put the keihin/Harley carb on 1300 Samurai’s for a performance mod and some have turbo’d them.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

Last thing you want is a carb sloshing around the bumps and spilling over when you climb steeper hills.
Just cry once and go FI.
It might take a bit to set up a crank trigger ignition and mount injectors but in the end it will be a driver instead of a garage or trailer queen.
A Microsquirt or even a used MS-1 or MS-2 would be plenty for a simple EFI.

You could also go Holley Sniper if you want a different challenge. They do have a single barrel unit that wouldn't take too much to adapt.
Eric Allred has been setting them up for A/C VW engines and might be able to make it work for a 1.3L Water cooled engine.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
...then your maybe not a carb guy.

Naw, I prefer carbs. EFI is great for a daily driver when its a stock, OEM system. but I've had too many misadventures with cobbled together systems and rather avoid the pitfalls. If it gets EFI it will be from a suzuki sidekick and it will get the 16v motor along with it that meets the power goals already in NA form. As is the samurai is getting a new carb either with an Asian atmosphere amplifier, or NA. I know a good NA carb (~1978 toyota corolla 3k carb, nearly a bolt on swap), but as soon as a shanghai screamer is added in to the mix then I have no clue what likes pressurized air rammed down its throat.

clonebug wrote:
You could also go Holley Sniper

Thought about that just for the self tuning. the CJ BBD kit would be fairly easy to adapt to the manifold. The cost is a bit too high though. Goes back to the 1.6L 16v swap. Makes the same power goals but then isn't a DIY modded mess for about the same cost.

Eh, maybe the thing to do is chuck a wideband in the O2 bung, slap a 3k carb on the manifold, stir in a RRFPR and weld on a go-snail. when a piston reaches orbit, then a bigger motor is in order.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

Sorry I can't think of a great idea.
A really nice one barrel carb would be nice thing to use on a VW for sure too, that can handle more g-force and with more tunable circuits, but there just isn't enough motivation to really make it happen.
One shortcut idea is just use half of a DRLA or IDF or DCOE
But most times within a while you realize that if you used both barrels it will work even better so.....it's a transitional idea that usually gets scrapped before it ever gets completed.
Sorry to say that's really how it is. the little 1300cc japanese yard tractor is probably the same too.
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

I knew a guy that used a motorcycle carb on a turboed 1600 rabbit motor. It worked better than a weber, or holley-weber (which are both prone to getting sand in the secondary linkage, and then sticking). It was a mid-engine rail, and he go tired of the thrill of the rail not wanting to slow down, due to the above.

Suck through the carb, it is simpler, and has some advantages (but then, so does blow through).

Those carbs get by w/o an accelerator pump.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

I used a Weber 40 DCOE on my Rabbit engine to start with but then switched to an Impco propane carb for the octane advantage under boost that propane offers. The Impco carb throttle body is a separate part with no connecting linkage or drillings so I separated the two and put the carb body without the throttle plate on the suction side of the turbo and used a Rabbit EFI throttle body downstream of the turbo. I suppose I had both a draw through and blow through at the same time!

One advantage of propane is there is no float bowl so off road side hills and steep climb and descend angles have no effect.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The Impco carb throttle body is a separate part with no connecting linkage or drillings so I separated the two and put the carb body without the throttle plate on the suction side of the turbo and used a Rabbit EFI throttle body downstream of the turbo. I suppose I had both a draw through and blow through at the same time!

I totally forgot that the mixer was separate from the throttle! That might be a future endeavor though, turbo propane would be sweet on a crawler. The half draw through and half blow through is pretty ingenious. Not sure how I'd feel about intercooling it, but then again it might not need it as the k03 would be in its happy place for efficiency, and keeping the boost to 10ish PSI it might not need intercooling. It'd for sure benefit from it, but a backfire on a properly mixed air fuel charge in a confined space...... Shocked Laughing
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

Maybe a single Kadron would work?
They come from a Brazilian Jeep.
Plus you can put a slosh tube on the bowl vent..

What’s That Noise?!?
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

Well I made a decision, not sure if its a good one yet but we'll see.

I'm going to try forced induction with the toyota 3k carb. They're cheap enough that if I have to destroy a few to figure out how to make them like pressure then its not a harrowing endeavor to buy them. They do work well at odd angles, and they came off of a similar sized engine. with low boost (5psi) they might work fine out of the box. There is a weird bimetal reed valve temp.... thingy on them that I'll have to block off but no big deal to do that. I'm reasonably certain that was for a heat riser on the toyota. I ordered the first victim and it should be on the way! Twisted Evil
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: what single barrel carb for blow through? Reply with quote

How about the 1 Barrel Holley efi setup...
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_...ts/550-552

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: