Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Think you've seen it all...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

No you haven't.

When you have time to kill, check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/@JustRolledIn

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Yeah, I subscribed to that channel a while back.

There's a lot to be said for annual, mandatory safety/roadworthiness tests like we have in Europe.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing ...

These videos are entertaining.

Some people are SO CLUELESS and most aren't aware they're in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Take care ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Here's one that came in at work a couple years ago for a flat tire. If I remember correctly, a caliper bolt fell out and the caliper shifted and ground through the rim. They probably had to drive it for a while grinding though to get it all the way through. Just turn up the radio more I guess. Some people.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

There's a lot to be said for annual, mandatory safety/roadworthiness tests like we have in Europe.

You are right on! In most states here, emission testing is required in urban areas with no regard for whether or not a vehicle can stop or hit a bump without the front end coming apart.
In Illinois, safety inspection for light trucks used to be required but that was done away with a long time ago. Don't pollute the air but everything else is just fine. Idiots!
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

You are right on! In most states here, emission testing is required in urban areas with no regard for whether or not a vehicle can stop or hit a bump without the front end coming apart.
In Illinois, safety inspection for light trucks used to be required but that was done away with a long time ago. Don't pollute the air but everything else is just fine. Idiots!

I'm rather surprised that we don't have annual vehicle "inspections" here in CA. Another reason to fleece us drivers/vehicle owners with more "fees." Mad
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
I'm rather surprised that we don't have annual vehicle "inspections" here in CA. Another reason to fleece us drivers/vehicle owners with more "fees." Mad

We used to have random (yeah, right) roadside inspections for smog and safety in California. Stopped in the mid-'70s, I think. They weren't comprehensive, but covered lights, tires, brakes.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Ya, Ohio had them too. Stopped around the same time. They'd set up by the side of the road and pull over drivers at will. Usually young with a "hot rod." They were dreaded. If you did happen to pass they wanted to put an ugly sticker in your drivers side lower windshield...uhhh no thanks...can I just put it in the glove box? If you didn't pass it was a warning, ticket, or tow...up to them.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Customer states…

It used to mak a grinding noise but then it stopped about three months ago…

But it started making that same noise on the other side last week.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

That means you have to rely on the inspectors. At 1:57 in this episode, we see what they missed.

Link

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

My Dad's Transmission shop, a young gal in a Pinto said she had a noise , I drove it in on the hoist and it locked up,lifted it up ,pulled inspection cove off the Differential, and "Metal Dust" hit me in the face, pin that holds the spiders fell out and locked it up Shocked we had a good laugh, then replace the whole dam thing, from the wreckers Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
then replace the whole dam thing, from the wreckers Wink

The whole car... I hope... with something else that didn't explode on impact! Shocked Just about anything else you would find at a wreckers would be better than driving a Pinto! Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

We used to have mandatory yearly inspections here too. The inspectors were a bunch of diehard anal jerks that would fail nearly every car that went through. That started in 1969 and Dad knew that the old '57 Plymouth Suburban Wagon would never pass so he bought a new '69 Bay Window Bus.

Well the new Bus failed! Headlights were adjusted too high! Dad told them it was because no one was sitting in the front seats, let me in there. Nope! Against the rules! No one is allowed in the cars when in the inspection bay.

Back at the dealership they confirmed that all VWs were failing due to headlight adjustment. They screwed the headlight adjusters down and put them back up after the car passed.

In 1971 government abandoned the mandatory inspections.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

When I was a kid in NJ back in the 60s, I usually went with my dad for his safety inspection. The only time he failed was in headlight aiming and it was with a new Rambler station wagon. They gave him a temporary sticker(30 days). He took it home, aimed the headlights himself, went back, and passed. You may not think that headlight aiming is a big deal until you're older and glare bothers you during night driving. There's also that super bright lighting that they allow now that discourages me from driving at all when its dark.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

We used to have random (yeah, right) roadside inspections for smog and safety in California. Stopped in the mid-'70s, I think. They weren't comprehensive, but covered lights, tires, brakes.

I know we had the recent roadside smog monitors to allegedly measure traffic as it drove by. I was always waiting for some clown to pop me when I went by in my 356. Razz
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
When I was a kid in NJ back in the 60s, I usually went with my dad for his safety inspection. The only time he failed was in headlight aiming and it was with a new Rambler station wagon. They gave him a temporary sticker(30 days). He took it home, aimed the headlights himself, went back, and passed. You may not think that headlight aiming is a big deal until you're older and glare bothers you during night driving. There's also that super bright lighting that they allow now that discourages me from driving at all when its dark.

Yes I get it that headlight aiming is a safety thing but what the inspection morons failed to understand was that in a rear engine vehicle the load on the front axle and therefore the ride height AND headlight height was totally dependent on people sitting in the car!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

BITD,When Ford recalled the pintos for the gas tank thing,,all they did was pull one of the gas tank straps and slip a molded piece of Plastic under it, so the Diff don't rupture the tanks so easy,yea tank is right behind the Diff housing Rolling Eyes Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
No you haven't.

I like stuff like that. Used to be most people knew a trusted mechanic that would look over the car while doing routine maintenance, self service stations took care of that. But rather than see it as a negative I see it as guaranteed work for a mechanic. I remember a fellow at work telling us his wife ruined the engine in their car because she put bubble gum over the oil pressure light because??? Because the light bothered her…
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
madmike wrote:
then replace the whole dam thing, from the wreckers Wink

The whole car... I hope... with something else that didn't explode on impact! Shocked Just about anything else you would find at a wreckers would be better than driving a Pinto! Wink

Remember the exploding square body chevy truck? Where the slo mo cam showed the Estes rocket engine smoking under the fuel door moments before impact.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
No you haven't.

I like stuff like that. Used to be most people knew a trusted mechanic that would look over the car while doing routine maintenance, self service stations took care of that. But rather than see it as a negative I see it as guaranteed work for a mechanic. I remember a fellow at work telling us his wife ruined the engine in their car because she put bubble gum over the oil pressure light because??? Because the light bothered her…

A friend of mine had an early 90's Honda Civic with massive miles on it, back in the late 90's. His wife had some sort of contract job with the US Forest Service over at Mt Rainier National Park one summer, and drove the Civic to and from here every two weeks (300 miles one way?).

One day she got home and he went to check out the car, and there was NO OIL! He asked her about it, and she said she saw the oil light come on, but" had a good feeling about it" so she kept driving. She drove about 100 miles with the oil light glaring. He added oil and kept driving the car for several more years, but the oil pressure had dropped significantly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: