Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Think you've seen it all...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
BITD,When Ford recalled the pintos for the gas tank thing,,all they did was pull one of the gas tank straps and slip a molded piece of Plastic under it, so the Diff don't rupture the tanks so easy,yea tank is right behind the Diff housing Rolling Eyes Laughing

That Pinto thing was the reason that Al Piemonte was offering them for free if you bought a new 4WD Ford pickup in the late 70s. On top of that, the Ford 302 V8 was burning oil so fast that Ford claimed "normal" oil consumption was 1 quart every 800 miles. It took them another 15 years and countless lawsuits to correct the problem.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
BITD,When Ford recalled the pintos for the gas tank thing,,all they did was pull one of the gas tank straps and slip a molded piece of Plastic under it, so the Diff don't rupture the tanks so easy,yea tank is right behind the Diff housing Rolling Eyes Laughing

They also added a filler neck that extended further into the fuel tank. This was only on the coupe and hatch models. The wagon was not an isue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

A young lady whom I had a particular interest in at the time wanted me to help here find a good used car to buy. "I want one like your sister has that has a light on the dash that tells you when you need to add oil."

"What the *#$@!!??" I said - but sure enough, my sister was driving her '71 Squareback until the oil light flashed on the corners before checking and adding oil!
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

I got the Mouse in the House.

After 3 1/2 yrs, why is it coughing and gasping. Than it started, and I drove it around. Well, figured hasent started in awhile. Next day, gasp, choke sputter.....HMMMMM

Lets check....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Oh,Nuts Laughing lil shits get in everything Rolling Eyes
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
A young lady whom I had a particular interest in at the time wanted me to help here find a good used car to buy. "I want one like your sister has that has a light on the dash that tells you when you need to add oil."

"What the *#$@!!??" I said - but sure enough, my sister was driving her '71 Squareback until the oil light flashed on the corners before checking and adding oil!

That's not the "check oil" light.

It's the "get out your wallet for a new engine" light.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

My 2002 Tahoe has both. It surprised me one day with the check oil level light.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

My late model Audi has no oil light, and no dipstick. The display will tell me when its low. So we are back to the too-late "idiot light" stage instead of gauges. You would think a modern sporty car/SUV driver would want to know...

You can go through the service menus and get a check, though you have to start it, run it for a certain length of time, then park it a length of time, then power it up again. How about a goddam dipstick please?!

Old story... the only time my Fastback has ever stranded us was back in the mid-'70s driving the 101 through Nipomo, CA. Points rubbing block broke, and we didn't know much, and waited for the tow.

While waiting, a 1960s Dodge Dart (with the slant six) pulls over where we were stopped, a nice old lady driving her fellow hens from church.

The car was BLAZING hot! As she rolled to a stop, the engine let out a brief shriek, then stopped dead.

A few minutes later the tow arrived, and we told him to take care of the ladies first, then come back for us.

He was amazed at how hot it was, and asked the driver if any lights lit up on the dash. She said, "Sure, the oil light has been on for the last 15 minutes." He tried to be polite, and asked why she kept driving with the oil light on! She answered. "Well, it wasn't blinking, so I didn't think it was serious."

After thinking about it, the tow driver had the answer. He asked what her last car was, and she answered, a 1950s DeSoto.

Turns out the oil light on those cars was steady for low level, but blinked for low pressure.

So she wasn't nuts after all, just a couple of decades out of date!

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

Very Happy I have a friend who (back in college days) was sitting listening to us gabbing at the bar after a sailboat race (we were talking about checking oil and oil changes since most of us were driving air cooled VW's at the time) get this confused look on his face and asked what we were talking about.

We all looked at him and asked if he checked the oil in the little beater Datsun 510 he was driving... nope, had never checked it in the almost 4 years he'd had the car. Just put gas in it to drive around when the gauge was on E.

That little car was a testament to Datsun engineering, as what little oil was left was so sludgy by that point (according to the mechanic we made him take the car to), it was a miracle anything turned at all. Rolling Eyes

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Think you've seen it all... Reply with quote

I dated a girl just after high school (class of '86) that drove an orange BMW 525. Nice little car, used to get her from Corpus to Dallas many times.
I get a call at about 11:30pm & she's at the gas station crying cuz her car won't start. I get there, calm her down, open the hood & act like I knew what I was doing. I was about 18 or so. I pull the dipstick but couldn't find the oil level. I reach between the radiator and engine to grab the crank pulley. Nope ... will not turn.
I ask if she's ever added oil. She gets real defensive telling me not to go there cuz her dad, uncle, & brothers all told her to check the oil everytime she gets gas & she always did.

I said I understand but did she EVER ADD ANY OIL. She says no but always checked it.
She checked the oil till the engine seized.

Good thing she had other talents ... lol

Take care ... be safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: