Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphores don't always lift
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Semaphores don't always lift Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm having a little trouble with my semaphores lifting consistently. Sometimes they'll pop right up, other times they look lile a kid trying to bench 225 for the first time, kinda a struggle. Lol. Revving the engine to give full voltage foesn't seem to help. They're free and not hitting anything on the way up. Running 12v and they're wired correctly. Once they're up they're locked in nicely. Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks, NAES.
SBS #00
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores don't always lift Reply with quote

check all the connections, including the grounds.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores don't always lift Reply with quote

Well cleaning all the contacts didn't do much. I did spray electrical cleaner in the solenoid and piston assembly and that helped a bit. I also adjusted the semaphores so they 100% clear the body opening. If I rev the engine and get full 12V power to them they work almost every time. Once they're locked out they stay up just fine.

I guess its just one of those little quirks I'm going to have with my rig. No big deal, I have much bigger things to work on!

NAES
SBS #00
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores don't always lift Reply with quote

Voltage dropping..

You could always ad individual relays to each side.
Basically use the signal to as control and have full battery circuits to the load.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores don't always lift Reply with quote

This is why the original trafficators were not actually mechanical.

Here is an early version signalling to take the third reich.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well now that kind of ruined the joke.

Oh well. haha

Last edited by scottyrocks on Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores don't always lift Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
Hey all. I'm having a little trouble with my semaphores lifting consistently.

Is that called erectile dysfunction?
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores don't always lift Reply with quote

For the best erection use a relay with 10 AWG wire and a fuse from the battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: