Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much insurance?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: How much insurance? Reply with quote

I have a 63 ragtop, that I have had since 2018. I have had insurance on it since day one. When wanting to obtain insurance I was told the amount they'd offer was $ dollars. Not sure how they appraise the vehicles cost to replace when there is nothing to go by. (as far as i know). When I first obtained the insurance, I requested 15k, which they agreed to. After seeing the bug prices increase, I requested another jump up to 20k. They did agree to that but would not go any higher. So $20k (full) coverage is where I currently reside.

I have considered looking into hagerty insurance to get a quote. But I am not really sure how much I should be covered for. I have been looking in the classifieds for 63 ragtops, and I see them in the $20k range. But they all differ from appearance and there is nothing I can see that is close. Mine is not all original paint, and has been customized, like many others.

When you look for insurance, how do you determine how much you need since the bug prices fluctuate? With my insurance coming up for renewal in March, I'd like to determine if I should stay or go elsewhere. but value is my question right now. I guess once I determine that, that'll tell me if I need to shop around.

it looks like hagerty does not limit you. you pay for what you want. not what they THINK you should get
Tom snowden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Should run about $10.00 per thousand, that’s what I pay with Hagerty on my bus. $430.00 for $45,000 guaranteed per year. No driving restrictions.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

The online quote I got from Hagerty for 30k was about $275 a year
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

My toy cars are just that, toy cars. I only put the minimum public liability insurance on them, no collision coverage at all. The way I see it is if the loss of one of my toy cars puts me in financial ruin then I was way over my head owning it in the first place!

So... I only buy toy cars that I can afford to lose. And I save big time on insurance costs. Very Happy

Last edited by oprn on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Car insurance is mostly a scam. You're betting your gonna crash it and they are betting you won't.

My '69 I've had for 30 years. I've paid more for insurance premiums than the car is worth today, yet I still have to pay every year, because the law say I have to have it. After I have paid the value of my car I feel I shouldn't have to pay any more.

Buit that is not what insurance is for.

When you buy auto insurance it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what your car is worth. You are buying insurance to fix or replace the other persons car when the accident is your fault. If you wipe out a Vette that could be $150,000 YOUR insurance must pay. If 4 people in the other car are injured that could very quickly be $250,000 or more in medical expenses. When there are passengers in my car I'm responsible for their medical care if I'm at fault.

If you're that stuck on the value of your car then you can't afford to own it anyhow. None of my cars would effect me financially if I lost them without any compensation to replace them. If there wasn't any legal liability to compensate the persons or car that I fucked up, then I wouldn't have insurance at all.
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

My fun bug is at $5k because if it goes I can rebuild another easy enough. My other classic is for considerably more because of it's value to me. I would want to rebuild that car regardless of cost because its a family heirloom. The same will go for my current 62 Beetle build. Once it is complete I will insure it for more than normal so I can rebuild it since it was my Great grandmothers car. All are through Hagerty.
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Has Hagerty changed since going public? I was told we put too many miles on our Westy (we actually travel in it) per year, thus Hagerty would not cover it. Perhaps I should look into Hagerty again . . .
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

insurance should be based on the replacement cost of whatever you're insuring.

Hagarty sent me something last year saying that the collection had gone up another 2k (across 4 cars) and if i wanted the added coverage it was like another 5 bux

so they do kind of keep a pulse on the market

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Haggerty said that due to the fact that I have had 2 traffic tickets in the last 3 years I was a high risk and they would not insure my cars.
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

VeeDubn wrote:
Has Hagerty changed since going public? I was told we put too many miles on our Westy (we actually travel in it) per year, thus Hagerty would not cover it. Perhaps I should look into Hagerty again . . .

There has been a mileage limit for as long as I used them. If I remember right its 5k a year but don't hold me to that. The one big difference I've seen is they now allow the car to be parked at a different location like a storage building. Before the car had to be parked in my garage at my house but now they allow different locations as long as I declare the address and its indoor.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
VeeDubn wrote:

There has been a mileage limit for as long as I used them. If I remember right its 5k a year but don't hold me to that.

Are they asking you? They've never asked me for a mileage reading when I renew so they have no idea how much I'm driving my insured cars.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
VeeDubn wrote:

There has been a mileage limit for as long as I used them. If I remember right its 5k a year but don't hold me to that.

Are they asking you? They've never asked me for a mileage reading when I renew so they have no idea how much I'm driving my insured cars.

Interesting - good to know. My step-son originally told me about Hagerty when he was looking into it for his Westy. He indicated he did not think we would qualify because of the mileage we drive each year (we average 8,000 miles per year for vacation alone), so I nixed the idea.

However, awhile back my insurance provider (Allstate) also suggested Hagerty and she looked into it. In the end she stated that Hagerty would not insure our Westy due to the annual mileage.

I supposed I could look at a Hagerty application myself, but if it asks how many miles I drive per year, I have to be honest.

I appreciate your input. This may add to my "things to do" list for 2023!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Hag said no, cuz I sleep in the Bus Rolling Eyes WTF it's a camper Shocked
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
VeeDubn wrote:

When I signed up they asked about mileage but never since. Also when I signed up years ago they asked for a photo of the car in the garage. When I added a second about a year ago they required a picture of both cars in the same garage together.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

I have been with Hagerty for over 20 years and they have never asked me for photos or proof of storage location.
A few years ago I inquired about allowable mileage and the agent said something like "we expect you to drive your collector car for pleasure like going for ice cream." (not as a daily driver)
So now I feel that having ice cream is mandatory to meet the policy requirements. Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Insurance companies never confirm you are following the terms of the contract, until you have a claim.

They love it when you don’t, because you become a marginally profitable “hold your money “ customer to a highly profitable customer.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
VeeDubn wrote:

When I signed up they asked about mileage but never since. Also when I signed up years ago they asked for a photo of the car in the garage. When I added a second about a year ago they required a picture of both cars in the same garage together.

Yes, they asked me for a photo of my cars in the garage when I tried to do 3 cars in the past.
I think they want to make sure you are really parking them inside.
I also wondered if they looked up that I have a 2-car garage house on Zillow or something but I doubt they get that deep into it. Smile
Plus 3 cars fit in my 2 car garage
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

In digging around on Hagerty's website I see they have an interesting option---
"Cherished Salvage". For a modest increase in premium you get to keep the car (or what's left of it) and they will still pay out the Agreed Value in the event of a total loss.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I have been with Hagerty for over 20 years and they have never asked me for photos or proof of storage location.
A few years ago I inquired about allowable mileage and the agent said something like "we expect you to drive your collector car for pleasure like going for ice cream." (not as a daily driver)
So now I feel that having ice cream is mandatory to meet the policy requirements. Very Happy

Me too, other than collect the money they’ve been nice, a very well run company in my dealings. Another good one? USAA 😀
dennismcd707 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
The online quote I got from Hagerty for 30k was about $275 a year

Tom snowden wrote:
Should run about $10.00 per thousand, that’s what I pay with Hagerty on my bus. $430.00 for $45,000 guaranteed per year. No driving restrictions.

As I hear about (read) how much folks are paying for Hagerty Insurance, I've found myself questioning whether or not I should call before I renew to get a lower rate.

I got an online quote for my 71 Super Beetle, valued at 12 grand, for 532 dollars per year, and that's what I ended up paying them. I didn't ask any questions, I just paid it, thinking that was a fair price for full coverage.

They didn't ask for pictures, and I don't recall what the mileage requirements are. It's a sunny day driver only, and stored in the garage all but 5 months of the year. I'm the only driver and I have a perfect driving record, and I live in a low crime area. I'm wondering, why am I paying more than everybody else?

I guess it just shows me that without any due diligence, I'm at the mercy of the insurance company. I don't know if I have good or bad coverage, and that's my fault. Embarassed One thing that does really interest me is that CHERISHED SALVAGE option. I'm gonna call to see how much.
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: