Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much insurance?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
insurance should be based on the replacement cost of whatever you're insuring.

Hagarty sent me something last year saying that the collection had gone up another 2k (across 4 cars) and if i wanted the added coverage it was like another 5 bux

so they do kind of keep a pulse on the market

That's basically what I did.

When I bought the car in 2016 I insured it for $xxxx, which was in the range of what cars like mine were going for, and slightly less than I paid for it. The car was a survivor. It ran but needed a lot of little things to make it reliably 'right.'

Last year it ended up needing more than I could personally give it, so it went to a local shop. Then I had the original paint compounded and buffed out.

The same car is now insured for $xx,xxx, about three times the original amount because of the 'restoration,' combined with the rising value of these cars.

When I called Hagerty to up the coverage amount, they didn't bat an eye, and the premium increase was negligible.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Some of you guys just don't get the scam of auto insurance. Hagerty doesn't give a damn about your VW that you think is worth $20,000. They must pay for the $75,000 SUV that You fuck up in an accident and the $100,000 of medical bills for the occupants of that SUV.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

In some ways it IS a scam. But in other ways it's not.

Very few of us have the money lying around to compensate other folks who may be injured in an accident that we may have caused. Insurance is sort of a bank account for that purpose, if you will. The only downside is that you never get the money back if you don't need it for that purpose. Life is a gamble.

The other factor that helps me to not be concerned about my VW's insurance is that compared to what I pay for each of the modern daily drivers I am responsible for, what I pay for the VW is negligible, and I can very easily live with that.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

dennismcd707 wrote:

As I hear about (read) how much folks are paying for Hagerty Insurance, I've found myself questioning whether or not I should call before I renew to get a lower rate.

I got an online quote for my 71 Super Beetle, valued at 12 grand, for 532 dollars per year, and that's what I ended up paying them. I didn't ask any questions, I just paid it, thinking that was a fair price for full coverage..

If youre close to Detroit, thats probably why. My Hagerty rate dropped by 40% as soon as I moved across the state line and out of Philadelphia
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Hag said no, cuz I sleep in the Bus Rolling Eyes WTF it's a camper Shocked

I do believe that they just changed the limitations to include "collectible RV's"
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
madmike wrote:
Hag said no, cuz I sleep in the Bus :roll: WTF it's a camper :shock:

I do believe that they just changed the limitations to include "collectible RV's"

I'll have to look into that, as I know when I insured the bus they said no camping. If I had a pick up the policy included no hauling stuff in the bed.
But it does include spare parts on the policy, so the photos of "the insured in the secure garage" have all the fenders, hub caps, deck lids etc hanging in the photo background.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Paying $500 every year for a best payout of 12k is insane, and insanely good business for the insurer
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Hey! They are not there to make friends! Get that thought cleared up and out of the way!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Adding a second, or more, to your Hagerty policy is the best thing you can do for your premiums. For some reason, at one point, it cost less to insure two than it would for one. Whenever I call to add a new adoption I am stunned by the small change I'm the overall premium.

I had a deer hit a custom conversion van and Hargerty's adjuster knew all about paint stripes rather than vinyl stripes, vain efforts to match metallic on the same panel due to the way the flakes lay when sprayed, etc., etc., adjusted the claim accordingly and I was very pleased with their service.

A friend of mine had some kind of so-called "classic" coverage from one of the regular name brand companies. Someone damaged his car in an accident and he lost his mind fighting about the adjusting for many months because they first wanted him to chase the other guys insurance and then when he insisted, his own insurer shot out a quick collision adjustment estimate as if it was a solid-color commuter car without even seeing the car, sent him the check for that, and wanted to close the file. It was a fraction of what any competent shop was quoting him and nobody would touch the project for less than multiples of that amount.

As to agreed value, I have always described the vehicle, asked Hagerty what they thought, and they go do their research and come back in a minute with an amount that confirmed I just got a good deal on a car. Smile Great experiences with that company.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Adding a second, or more, to your Hagerty policy is the best thing you can do for your premiums. For some reason, at one point, it cost less to insure two than it would for one. Whenever I call to add a new adoption I am stunned by the small change I'm the overall premium

As to agreed value, I have always described the vehicle, asked Hagerty what they thought, and they go do their research and come back in a minute with an amount that confirmed I just got a good deal on a car. Smile Great experiences with that company.

I found that Hagerty will cover a non-antique car on the same policy as our '66 Beetle, even though the additional vehicle is not in their Valuation Guide. In our case the additional car is a 2008 VW EOS that they agreed is worth $12K
So---$30K on the Beetle and $12K on the EOS for $471/year. Of course the EOS is to be stored indoors and used on sunny days to get ice cream. Very Happy
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Adding a second, or more, to your Hagerty policy is the best thing you can do for your premiums. .

Agreed.
My 62 ragtop is insured at stated value of 12k, and the annual premium is $364. Adding my 56 convertible with a stated value of 25K only raised the premium by $164 per year.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Paying $500 every year for a best payout of 12k is insane, and insanely good business for the insurer

Ed Zackerly.

You can get $100,000 of term life insurance a lot cheaper than you can get insurance your VW that YOU think is worth $20,000. When you buy life insurance you do not have to send pictures of your body or have any limitations on where you can go. If you wreck your car you can get something else. If you die you are done.

In the state I live in I am required by law to have auto insurance on every vehicle I drive. I have 3 street legal vehicles. I must have insurance on each car, but I am only one person and can only drive one vehicle at a time. I would like to see a system where I have insurance for myself as a driver that would then cover any vehicle I drove.

If I had a collectable VW that was truly worth $20,000 I might insure it for maybe 1/2 and just eat the loss instead of trying to scam them out of more than it is realistically worth.

Auto insurance is to pay for what YOU fuck up. There are a hell of a lot more $40K -$75K vehicles on the road that YOU can destroy than your overpriced $20K VW. Hell you can spend $80K on a new F350 pick Up truck.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Dave, you seem to have a bone to pick with insurance in general.
And, for some points I would agree that insurance policies can be a scam and not cover many things we are led to believe are. Surely, if we are not "at fault" in an accident, the other drivers insurance is supposed to pay for the repairs (and vice versa)
The nice thing about Hagerty policies, from what I have witnessed personally
-A clients car was hit by a drone last year, when it crashed at a show. The owner of the drone dodged efforts to recoup damage costs. Hagerty covered the paint and body repair to the tune of 8k.
-Several cars flood damaged while in storage at a local warehouse. Water 2+ feet deep. The one car with a Hagerty policy was a total loss and I heard they paid the stated value. The other owners are still chasing the responsible utility for any claims.
-My cars are fully covered. Doesn't matter if its totaled on the road, scratched at a show, if mice eat the upholstery, or if a tornado launches it into the next county. Where else are you going to find a better deal?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

There are normal insurance policies that cover multiple cars, meaning you have more cars than drivers in the household. It's cheaper than fully insuring all 3 since Yes you can only drive 1 at a time.

You have to call to say which one you are driving for a while though.

I don't have one so I can't give you a reference but I know my brother had that when he had multiple daily driver VWs.

I agree insurance should follow the driver and not the car.
I've had an insurance issue because of this with someone who caused an accident - part of the issue was they were driving someone else's car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
esde wrote:
madmike wrote:
Hag said no, cuz I sleep in the Bus Rolling Eyes WTF it's a camper Shocked

I'll have to look into that, as I know when I insured the bus they said no camping. If I had a pick up the policy included no hauling stuff in the bed.
But it does include spare parts on the policy, so the photos of "the insured in the secure garage" have all the fenders, hub caps, deck lids etc hanging in the photo background.
I got a quote for my truck for LOLs and one of the options was if I used the truck for towing/hauling. If I marked it yes, they still offered insurance on it. This was last year, things may have changed.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
There are normal insurance policies that cover multiple cars, meaning you have more cars than drivers in the household. It's cheaper than fully insuring all 3 since Yes you can only drive 1 at a time.

Every state has different laws and regulations on auto insurance. In OK you must have insurance on each car. Other states do have blanket coverage for the household with multiple cars.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

vwracerdave wrote:
In the state I live in I am required by law to have auto insurance on every vehicle I drive. I have 3 street legal vehicles. I must have insurance on each car, but I am only one person and can only drive one vehicle at a time. I would like to see a system where I have insurance for myself as a driver that would then cover any vehicle I drove.

If I had a collectable VW that was truly worth $20,000 I might insure it for maybe 1/2 and just eat the loss instead of trying to scam them out of more than it is realistically worth.

Auto insurance is to pay for what YOU fuck up. There are a hell of a lot more $40K -$75K vehicles on the road that YOU can destroy than your overpriced $20K VW. Hell you can spend $80K on a new F350 pick Up truck.

Dave! We have common ground finally! A hate for the system that forces us to bend over to The Great Insurance Gods! Now I totally get that the innocent party in a wreck needs protection but... we are all being held ransom by these money hungry con artists! Last year my insurance company demanded that I pay $2000 a year for basic public liability my old '03 Dodge garbage truck! I used it 7 times the year before, twice to pull a trailer and 5 dump trips! The crazy part is that they gave me the same coverage on my '02 Jetta that I drive everywhere, all the time for $800 a year.

I put this in another thread:

oprn wrote:
As for the number of cars you own and insurance, you can only drive one at a time and yet you have to insure them all. It seems to me that is a rip off. I think it’s the driver that should be insured not the car. I have yet to have one of my cars take off on it’s own and cause a wreck! It’s the driver not the car just like gun control. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people! Cars don’t cause collisions, people cause collisions!

If you insured the driver then it would not matter what car or who’s car he is driving, there is insurance coverage! Make the basic public liability follow the driver’s licence. If some people want additional coverage (collision, fire, glass, etc) then tack that to the car.

Then someone came back and said "That would be unfair to those that don't own a car!" No it wouldn't! If you have a driver's licence then at some point you will use it to drive a car. A friend's car or a rental car, if you never drive a car then what do you need a licence for? Surrender it!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

Back to collector car insurance: Hagerty does indeed charge only one premium that covers liability for ALL of the cars on the policy They must figure that you only drive one at a time. Then you add individual collision/ comprehensive coverage for each collector car that is named on the policy. At least that's how I read my policy.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

esde wrote:

No I guess my real bone is somebody with a $9500 Super Beetle that thinks it's worth $17,000 because they watch some TV auction show, then they insist that the insurance company should give them $20,000 in a total loss claim.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: How much insurance? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
esde wrote:

No I guess my real bone is somebody with a $9500 Super Beetle that thinks it's worth $17,000 because they watch some TV auction show, then they insist that the insurance company should give them $20,000 in a total loss claim.

Hence the reason for having "AGREED/GUARANTEED VALUE" insurance. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: