Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Seat Back
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Rear Seat Back Reply with quote

I know that the rear seat area changed in August 1955 (1956 year model) but I haven't found any clear info on what it would take to make a later seat back work in an earlier car. I have an earlier (April/May) 1955 standard and I'm wondering if anyone has had success fitting a later oval seatback into an earlier car. Can the swivel tabs be added to a later oval back to make it work/fit? I know that Mika has these tabs but I can't tell from photos whether these would work on a later oval seat back to make the fit.
Obviously finding an early seat back is a challenge but cost is another thing all together so I'm trying to find some experienced info on what my options might be. I have the seat bottom spring/frame but the seat back was missing when I got the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Back Reply with quote

I believe I have a 56/57 seat back in my pile, if so I can take a pic of it side by side with a 55 and earlier seat back.
Mika makes the seat back pivots for very early cars ( pre 48 ) but they look pretty similar to a 55 style. The main difference I see is that one of the mounting holes is a slot on the later pivot
https://restorationpanels.com/product/brackets-for-rear-backrest-pre-48/
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Back Reply with quote

Thanks for the input SD. Pics of the differences would be great. I figured someone out there had some answers in a treasure trove...
Is there a difference in the actual seat back frame? It seems that maybe the ends (where the seat pivot is) are shorter on the earlier frames in order to accommodate the brackets where the later seat back does away with the bracket, lengthening the ends a bit for direct fastening to the body...
Mika has these brackets for the later (52-55) seats:
https://restorationpanels.com/product/brackets-for-rear-backrest-1952-55/
but I don't know if these could be added to a later (56-57) seat back to make it fit properly in an early 55...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Back Reply with quote

Here are a few pics to start. I was out in the barn collecting bits to be sandblasted tomorrow, so the seat frames were coming out anyway
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

51-5/8" (outside to outside) between the tabs that the pivots mount to
Stand the seat on the "legs", and 4-3/4" underneath

I'll try to remember to dig out the later seat frame tomorrow
SD
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Back Reply with quote

Thanks SD. That seat back looks like it has a different bottom bar shape than the pics I've seen on the later oval seat backs and the pivot point where the tabs fasten looks different than the pivot point on later seats as well. It'll be interesting to see the difference in comparison.
Happy New Year.
Jim
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Back Reply with quote

More for you.

close enough that you could make the frame fit, somehow. But then what cover would you use? I don't think a later cover would look correct, and an early cover wouldn't fit quite right.

Laying one over the other shows it better.
Might be wise to sell the later seat back, and watch for an early frame. I see far more backs than bases for sale, can't be that hard to find.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Back Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to take these pics SD. This certainly shows what you're saying...probably make a later seat back fit but...
The early seat backs come up now and then but folks are way proud of them. I missed one a few years back for $200. Everything I've seen in the last couple of years are upwards of $700. There's one listed right now (been out there for over a year) for $700 that is a later back listed as an early back.
I'll just be patient and probably make a nice platform set up until I can find a correct seat back. Maybe I'll get lucky and one will turn up in a garage sale.
Again, thanks for the help!
Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: