Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm seriously thinking about buying this Ghia. Owner is asking $12k. Body matches the pan and he has the title.

I'm more of a Type 1 Ghia and Bug guy so I don't know much about it, only that they're rare. Needs a total restoration; holes in floor, rockers, lots of rust on the body and inches of bondo. Is $12k a good price considering it's rare?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

As for what it's worth, that's whatever someone will pay for it. That car will need at least 12K just to get it right again (you doing ALL of the labor). The stuff that's missing will be a small fortune. I think Pedro paid 200 for a set of 62 front seats, that still needed seat covers as an example. Check with ISP west for the cost of seals (trunks, doors front and rear glass, and the rear pop out seals) That'll be over a grand by themselves. How do I know this? I rebuilt a rusty 64 T-34 back in 2010-2012, and spent more money than I wanted to on it. Personally, I'd pass on this one, unless you want to drive it as a "rat rod".
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

I see you are restoring a Ghia coupe in your Sig line. Spend the 12K on it and be happier you walked away. I can only assume this one is a roller.

I started with my 64 Notch in similar condition and paid 4 for it. I am doing the majority of restoration and have about 8 into it now. (And still not done)

The difference for me was everything in regards to parts and trim (Seats, trim lights, etc) were there already. I can see lots missing and more body work that needs lots of help. The Typ 34 bits will break you in ways you had not considered.

I WANT a Typ 34. But, I would not pay more than 4 for this as it is knowing I would likely need to put 14-20 to get it where I would be happy. And I am an easily happy person
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Yeah, that makes total sense He actually has the seats in storage but I didn't see them.

I looked on Bring a Trailer and the highest selling one went for $49K. So a $12k purchase price plus the cost of restoration doesn't work make sense.

I guess I was caught up in the moment having never seen one in person. It's a very cool car.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Yeah, that makes total sense He actually has the seats in storage but I didn't see them.

I looked on Bring a Trailer and the highest selling one went for $49K. So a $12k purchase price plus the cost of restoration doesn't work make sense.

I guess I was caught up in the moment having never seen one in person. It's a very cool car.

12 k for whats there even ith seats is not worth it. That's a mmm 5 to 7 k car.

Pedro got 62 seats for 200 cuz hes Pedro Wink Laughing Most seats when the come up are 500 to 1100 asking. Front headlights complete and ready to install - $2200. Fog in same good condition - $1500. Push button - $600. Dash pads Upper & Lower - $2000 for non cracked pair - maybe more - if you are lucky to spot an ad. The turn signal assembly and steering column with a nos or even working ignition with key - $800 to $1800.

It goes on and on. If you want a Type 34 Ghia. Save 25 to 35 k and be ready to buy one ready to drive. These are more like restoring Porsche 356's with out the luxury of finding the parts like a Porsche. Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

I actually reached out the guy who is painting my Ghia. He said he helped someone restore a Type 34 Ghia ten years ago. The owner sold it for $90k at auction. But I think that might be an outlier price. I don't see even a mint condition Type 34 Ghia going for that price.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
I actually reached out the guy who is painting my Ghia. He said he helped someone restore a Type 34 Ghia ten years ago. The owner sold it for $90k at auction. But I think that might be an outlier price. I don't see even a mint condition Type 34 Ghia going for that price.

The nice ones this year have sold in the 60k range.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

I’ve been building Ghia, Beetles and split buses for decades and did my first type 3 this year and it was an expensive learning experience. My hats are off to you type 3 guys, I doubt there is a more difficult and expensive vintage VW to restore and then top it off in this case it’s a type 3 Ghia, I’d stick with type 1 Ghias my man.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:

Yes, if true, this sounds like 2 people went crazy against each other at auction.

It happens... same with the original $200K 23-Window Bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, if true, this sounds like 2 people went crazy against each other at auction.

It happens... same with the original $200K 23-Window Bus.

Haha, yes... pray for a bidding war!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I’ve been building Ghia, Beetles and split buses for decades and did my first type 3 this year and it was an expensive learning experience. My hats are off to you type 3 guys, I doubt there is a more difficult and expensive vintage VW to restore and then top it off in this case it’s a type 3 Ghia, I’d stick with type 1 Ghias my man.

Yes, as if a regular Ghia wasn't trouble enough... I told the owner no but he won't take no for an answer, lol.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Maybe you can get it for way cheaper. The Europeans work with worse cars than that one. Type 34 parts are NOT scarce. There just isn't a good market for them. Ask around and you will find everything. Now, with most rubber being reproduced, it should be easier to restore than a few years ago, when we relied on NOS or good used parts. Ask everyone you come across if they have any type 34 parts. If you have experience restoring a regular Ghia, You shouldn't have a problem restoring a type 34. I have owned a few suckers, restored one that became a 1st place winner reusing all the old rubber and cleaning up the stock chrome. Bought a restored one and drove it to Mexico. Bough another complete car and practically gave it away as I walked away from the VW scene for a while.

Now I own a '63 type 34, I had no problems sourcing the missing parts as it came almost complete (except the freakin radio plate, now I have 3) But can't find a reasonable body and paint guy close to me to et this project done as my go to body and paint guy doesn't want to do restoration work, only insurance work. I am no VW expert but I can offer help if needed as I have been into these cars since the 90's with no help. Sourced every single part myself and actually had a loooong parts for sale list a while back. Buy everything you find!!

Want trouble? try restoring a '65 sunroof Squareback using only NOS parts! That took over 25 yrs of collecting.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Maybe you can get it for way cheaper. The Europeans work with worse cars than that one. Type 34 parts are NOT scarce. There just isn't a good market for them. Ask around and you will find everything. Now, with most rubber being reproduced, it should be easier to restore than a few years ago, when we relied on NOS or good used parts. Ask everyone you come across if they have any type 34 parts. If you have experience restoring a regular Ghia, You shouldn't have a problem restoring a type 34. I have owned a few suckers, restored one that became a 1st place winner reusing all the old rubber and cleaning up the stock chrome. Bought a restored one and drove it to Mexico. Bough another complete car and practically gave it away as I walked away from the VW scene for a while.

Now I own a '63 type 34, I had no problems sourcing the missing parts as it came almost complete (except the freakin radio plate, now I have 3) But can't find a reasonable body and paint guy close to me to et this project done as my go to body and paint guy doesn't want to do restoration work, only insurance work. I am no VW expert but I can offer help if needed as I have been into these cars since the 90's with no help. Sourced every single part myself and actually had a loooong parts for sale list a while back. Buy everything you find!!

Want trouble? try restoring a '65 sunroof Squareback using only NOS parts! That took over 25 yrs of collecting.

Martin
allwagons

I'm afraid those days are gone brother. When is the last time you sourced an upper or lower dash? Steering column? Door caps? Arm Rests? And had more than one part to choose from if you even were lucky to find one? Or not be scared off by the high asking price. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Dash pads sets, have 3. Steering columns have two and an NOS turn signal lever. NOs rubber galore. Headlight bezels both NOS AND USED. Really, all you have to do is ask. And none of this came from San Diego. It has come from all over the world and a lot from the LA area.

Hoarding is NOT a CRIME!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Sourcing arts... had not considered that.

This Ghia comes with an extra Type 3 motor, extra speedometer, door striker, new tail lenses and new front turn signal lenses, and a turn signal switch.

I noticed the door caps are present but cracked. They make them for regular 73/74 Ghias but I guess not type 34.

All the other parts are on the body but yes the body is a mess. LOL I still like it though. I may buy it and stick in storage for a couple of years until I'm ready to work on it.

ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Dash pads sets, have 3. Steering columns have two and an NOS turn signal lever. NOs rubber galore. Headlight bezels both NOS AND USED. Really, all you have to do is ask. And none of this came from San Diego. Very Happy It has come from all over the world and a lot from the LA area.

Hoarding is NOT a CRIME!

Martin, you've been doing this a long time and have great connections and know where to look. No parts from the south of you because we have over 20 T34s in San Diego. Does your t34 just need body and paint or do you need metal work?
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
Dash pads sets, have 3. Steering columns have two and an NOS turn signal lever. NOs rubber galore. Headlight bezels both NOS AND USED. Really, all you have to do is ask. And none of this came from San Diego. Very Happy It has come from all over the world and a lot from the LA area.

Hoarding is NOT a CRIME!

Martin, you've been doing this a long time and have great connections and know where to look. No parts from the south of you because we have over 20 T34s in San Diego. Does your t34 just need body and paint or do you need metal work?

Im speaking in realistic terms as well for the person right now tying to get the parts. I do agree that just asking will for sure lend itself to yielding a lot of parts otherwise not listed.

So how much you want to sell this guy a headlight package, upper & lower dash and a nos rubber package to get him started? Laughing Huh?

Or are you going to keep you hand clutched tight to it because its irreplaceable like the rest of us hoarders? 😎🤙🌺

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Oh, boy... I didn't mean to starts a fight!

I'm personally sitting on a bunch of Type 1 Ghia parts that I would gladly sell so they can be put to good use. I sometimes go the extra mile to restore them so they can be bolted on right away. As to whether or not someone wants to pay me $200 for a vent control is another story, but if I go through the trouble of buying and disassembling a parts car and restoring the part, that's my bottom line.

Looking through the classified at for Type 34 parts they seem to be about as expensive as early Ghia stuff.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Quote:
Or are you going to keep you hand clutched tight to it because its irreplaceable like the rest of us hoarders? 😎🤙🌺

SI!

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Oh, boy... I didn't mean to starts a fight!

I'm personally sitting on a bunch of Type 1 Ghia parts that I would gladly sell so they can be put to good use. I sometimes go the extra mile to restore them so they can be bolted on right away. As to whether or not someone wants to pay me $200 for a vent control is another story, but if I go through the trouble of buying and disassembling a parts car and restoring the part, that's my bottom line.

Looking through the classified at for Type 34 parts they seem to be about as expensive as early Ghia stuff.

No fights here, we all know and respect each other. All I am saying is that you, on your own with enough $ can locate everything you need. Ask anyone in the type 34 community what have I ever bought from them? Most of my finds have come from non type 34 people.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: