Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Peter D. wrote:
Oh, boy... I didn't mean to starts a fight!

I'm personally sitting on a bunch of Type 1 Ghia parts that I would gladly sell so they can be put to good use. I sometimes go the extra mile to restore them so they can be bolted on right away. As to whether or not someone wants to pay me $200 for a vent control is another story, but if I go through the trouble of buying and disassembling a parts car and restoring the part, that's my bottom line.

Looking through the classified at for Type 34 parts they seem to be about as expensive as early Ghia stuff.

No fights here, we all know and respect each other. All I am saying is that you, on your own with enough $ can locate everything you need. Ask anyone in the type 34 community what have I ever bought from them? Most of my finds have come from non type 34 people.

Yes no fight Peter. You just have the rare opportunity to see several old school Type 3 weirdos chime in on your project T34.

And as I was leaning twards - yes you can and will find the stuff to make the car. But now a days you will end up with a car that's worth 50k after spending 70k to get it there. Wink Laughing

If you want a T34 to enjoy, best sell what you have for whatever you can get and find a Ghia more complete and ready to drive. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Cool, yes I see the Type 34 Ghia community is pretty tight. I actually haven't bought the car yet. Heart says "Go for it!" and and the brain says "what are you, stupid?" LOL

There's a really nice one for sale in Holland. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2584150

Yes, it's disassembled but it needs minimal body work comparatively and it has an original interior. But the cost to import is insane.

I think if I did buy it I would just restore the chassis and get wiring working and just drive it as a rat rod. Collect parts for a few years until my son graduates from college... at which point I'd be in a better spot to do the body. Little by little at which point I'll be too old to enjoy it from my room at the nursing home Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Cool, yes I see the Type 34 Ghia community is pretty tight. I actually haven't bought the car yet. Heart says "Go for it!" and and the brain says "what are you, stupid?" LOL

There's a really nice one for sale in Holland. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2584150

Yes, it's disassembled but it needs minimal body work comparatively and it has an original interior. But the cost to import is insane.

I think if I did buy it I would just restore the chassis and get wiring working and just drive it as a rat rod. Collect parts for a few years until my son graduates from college... at which point I'd be in a better spot to do the body. Little by little at which point I'll be too old to enjoy it from my room at the nursing home Laughing

Yes, that's an excellent car to restore. If you got it in the 18-20k range even at 5k to ship and import would still bode well overall on your investment.`

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

yep, you'll be way way way ahead with that car, even getting it over on a slow boat. I had considered it at one point but would rather have other cars...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Yes, the cost to get it to my door is over $7000! Looking for a cheaper quote.

I like that it has a sunroof but I wish it was an earlier car with a manual transmission and five lug wheels.

I still haven't made up my mind.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

I did a Type 34 search and couldn't find an answer to my question so here goes:

Is there any huge difference in the fit and finish of body panels from Wagner Blechteile and The Bug Box/Walter Jelenik? Wagner parts are less expensive but something tells me that the Bug Box parts are closer to original and are going to fit better.

If anyone has experience with both or either supplier please weigh in.

thanks!
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:

I like that it has a sunroof but I wish it was an earlier car with a manual transmission and five lug wheels.

As an owner of a four lug, disk brake, automatic,12 volt, sunroof 68 T34 its quite luxurious to drive.

I also have a 64 T34 as my daily to compare it to.
Each has its own qualities that make it special
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
Peter D. wrote:

As an owner of a four lug, disk brake, automatic,12 volt, sunroof 68 T34 its quite luxurious to drive.

I'm sure it's great! I'm just a snob when it comes to driving manual. I traded in perfectly good daily driver with 28k miles for a new car with a manual. I was just so bored by the automatic. I live in a hilly area and it never down shifted when I needed it to.

Anyway, call me crazy but I'm buying it! Comes with the headlights, an extra 1600 type 3 motor with 60k miles, seats in terrible condition, new tail lights, and a non-functioning beat-up looking gas heater. Currently cranks but does not start.

Short term goal will be to get it running and registered. Then after my Type 14 Ghia is done, I will do a full pan restoration with the body popped off, and drive it around as a rat rod for the time being. Stay tuned for a new thread about my Type 34 (and hopefully not an impending divorce Laughing )
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
ibjack wrote:
Peter D. wrote:

I'm sure it's great! I'm just a snob when it comes to driving manual. I traded in perfectly good daily driver with 28k miles for a new car with a manual. I was just so bored by the automatic. I live in a hilly area and it never down shifted when I needed it to.

Anyway, call me crazy but I'm buying it! Comes with the headlights, an extra 1600 type 3 motor with 60k miles, seats in terrible condition, new tail lights, and a non-functioning beat-up looking gas heater. Currently cranks but does not start.

Short term goal will be to get it running and registered. Then after my Type 14 Ghia is done, I will do a full pan restoration with the body popped off, and drive it around as a rat rod for the time being. Stay tuned for a new thread about my Type 34 (and hopefully not an impending divorce Laughing )

The one overseas?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

I think the one in the pics you posted would be a real challenge, but a very cool car to restore. Looking at a beat down car that needs a full restoration like this, it is hard to factor in a return on your investment. From an investment point of view, there are MANY far better places to put your money, both automotive and otherwise. If you did get all of the parts etc for $15-20K and did all of the work yourself, your time is worth something, and often a car that needs this much work will have you working for about 10 cents an hour. If you farm it out, a high quality, professional shop will charge more than this car will be worth.

However, I totally think that this car is worth doing a full restoration on in more important ways!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Peter D. wrote:
ibjack wrote:
Peter D. wrote:

The one overseas?

That was my question too.

If it's the "parts" car, then expect to dump a lot of time and money into it. I just say that from previous experience, and not just from a T-34 experience. My 71 Notch needed a ton of fabrication work, and Neil supplied me with a pick up truck full of parts to fix it (it needed them all). Fortunately I already had a running engine for it, although I rebuilt one for it that I put the FI on.
In hindsight, I should have just cut the roof off it, and converted my topless Square to a notch with a lift off roof like I originally planned. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm back... money has not actually exchanged hands yet but it's the rough looking one that needs a full restoration. However, my goal is to just get it running, restore the chassis (most of which I can do myself) and enjoy as a rat rod for now. My Type 14 is going to be the nice show car. This is just something to enjoy on a sunny day and not care if it gets scratched when parked at the grocery store.

But you guys are starting to scare me a little bit! It would be a shame to part this car out. They're so rare that I think they all deserve to be restored or at least made to run again.

It's an early car so I've noticed right away that brake parts are hard or impossible to find. However, the guy working on my 65 Ghia has a stash of early NOS Type 3 brake parts. The rest of the missing parts actually come with the car including the front seats. They're just in a box.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that a majority of project cars here on thesamba are upside down investments. There's actually a shop not far from me that charges $80k restore Ovals but the same price for a Super Beetle, and he has a waiting list.
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Sorry, I'm back... money has not actually exchanged hands yet but it's the rough looking one that needs a full restoration. However, my goal is to just get it running, restore the chassis (most of which I can do myself) and enjoy as a rat rod for now. My Type 14 is going to be the nice show car. This is just something to enjoy on a sunny day and not care if it gets scratched when parked at the grocery store.

But you guys are starting to scare me a little bit! It would be a shame to part this car out. They're so rare that I think they all deserve to be restored or at least made to run again.

It's an early car so I've noticed right away that brake parts are hard or impossible to find. However, the guy working on my 65 Ghia has a stash of early NOS Type 3 brake parts. The rest of the missing parts actually come with the car including the front seats. They're just in a box.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that a majority of project cars here on thesamba are upside down investments. There's actually a shop not far from me that charges $80k restore Ovals but the same price for a Super Beetle, and he has a waiting list.

Don't let the rumor that brake parts are impossible to find. Plenty of wheel cylinders out there. Rebuild parts are same as super beetle. Stuff like headlights, dash pads and taillights are the hard to find parts. Check out t34world.com for lots of great information
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
Don't let the rumor that brake parts are impossible to find. Plenty of wheel cylinders out there. Rebuild parts are same as super beetle. Stuff like headlights, dash pads and taillights are the hard to find parts. Check out t34world.com for lots of great information

That's a great tip on the brakes, thank you. I see that this community is small but very helpful.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
Peter D. wrote:

There's always the option to convert to 5 lug disc brakes as well. I did that on my 64 T-34, but when I sold it, I included ALL of the 5 lug drum brake parts I had for it. The wide 5 disc conversion worked great though, even in the mountains of Colorado.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

I did end up buying the car. I have not given it a cute name yet but I'm leaning towards "The Money Pit" or "The Rust Queen". LOL

I will post a new thread with updates soon.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
I did end up buying the car. I have not given it a cute name yet but I'm leaning towards "The Money Pit" or "The Rust Queen". LOL

Good luck with it. Expect a huge learning curve to go along with it. You might want to "bookmark" my 64 T-34 restoration of Wolfie, as it covers quite a bit about T-34 items that I ran into. Just a heads up, it's a long thread with a lot of pictures.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Peter D. wrote:

Good luck with it. Expect a huge learning curve to go along with it. You might want to "bookmark" my 64 T-34 restoration of Wolfie, as it covers quite a bit about T-34 items that I ran into. Just a heads up, it's a long thread with a lot of pictures.

Just don't call it the "Albatross". Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Peter D. wrote:

Just don't call it the "Albatross". Wink

How about "Divorce Court Exhibit A"?
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Ghia I found for Sale Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Peter D. wrote:

78 pages... I have a lot late night reading ahead of me, thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: