Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 Tan Wagon Project 2023
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

The issue of course is rust. If you can reach the backside of each screw with penetrating oil....I first use a small propane torch to heat each screw head to about 400 F. Then soak the backside with penetrating oil. That will shock and cool it down and pull oil into the threads. Let it sit for a couple hours. I use a hand impact driver where I can to crack them loose.

When you put them back in, use anti-seize. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

Hee hee..Oh yeah, I remember those headaches..
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

Torch is the only way I got some out in the past. Good for all fasteners where you won't do unwanted damage to something.
CAVEHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

Well , finally got all the tin off - I searched the internet and found a tool idea and it worked. Took an old pair of medium vise grips and did some grinding using a Drumel tool to cut some groves in the teeth faces l

IT helped a lot , once every thing was removed and plugged , it was all washed up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

L8R
Cave
CAVEHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
It’s been a while since my last post to the progress is slow. After a cleaning of the 1.8 engine and a compression test, this engine is not well with all cylinders between 60-70psi. It’s just worn out, wrapped that engine in plastic and putting in a shelf for another day.

A buddy of mine, a 914 racer and life long guru, sold me 4 engines for 600 bucks (2) 1.7, (1) 1.8 and a 2.0. he had on his shelf. 😉 . A clean and test of the 2.0 resulted in a happy finding that it was in great shape (120+ psi all around). So, I’m moving forward on this one, order a few parts for a run bench startup, which should be here before the weekend.

Cleaning and painting the tin is the next order of business, it seems the orig. 1.8 tin that came with the engine has a few rust through (go figure) on the cylinder tins. As you guys know the 2.0 liter plugs are in a difference position than the 1.8., so some fabrication to the 2.0 tin will be required to seal the compartment properly.

My shop doesn’t have running water or drains , so I had to build a parts wash sink that can be moved and emptied when needed, an old fiberglass sink and a 50 gallon barrel cut in half does the trick.

I just moved into this new shop over the fall/winder and digging out all my larger tools has been a chore. Can’t believe the sandblasting cabinet was rotted and still works.

Well, that’s about it – any comments and or tips are always welcome
Best Regards
Cave
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

Have Ray Greenwood rebuild your brake master cylinder if the bore is still good. He rebuilt mine and it works so nicely! He knows what seals and kits to get.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CAVEHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for an early 411 air cleaner for a dual carbureted engine. Anyone have one on a shield they want to selll ???

Cavehead
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

Post a WTB in the classifides. I have done this with really good results in the past.

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

Post a WTB in the classifides. I have done this with really good results in the past.

Bill
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 412 Tan Wagon Project 2023 Reply with quote

CAVEHEAD wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for an early 411 air cleaner for a dual carbureted Engine. Anyone have one on a shield they want to selll ???

Cavehead

I don´t have one to sell. Be aware that the early air cleaners are different for wagons and coupes. It has to be flatter in a wagon.

1971 411 Variant with a Z Engine. It has dual 34 PDSIT carburators.

1800 with dual 40 PDSIT with the later plastic air cleaner. This particular Engine is an industrial. It´s equal to the 75 hp DIN that came in European 412 1974
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: