Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importance of pan vin number
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Fishing for outside opinions on a situation that I have.
I have a ragtop that I purchased maybe 6 years ago. It was a future project, so I immediately mothballed it. All of the parts were boxed and jammed into the car, so I only even checked the body tag vin against the title. Now I have the car pulled out and emptied I find that there been some considerable rust and subsequent grinding on pan. The vin is 90% destroyed, and completely illegible.
My guess is that the roof was left open, and the back seat soaked up water causing he tunnel to rot. The package shelf has similar rust.
So, I have an oval rag with no pan vin. Has anyone been successful running their car with just the body tag and vin?
I realize that any cop wishing to ruin my day could do so. I realize that it would probably be best to contact my local state police regarding this, to see how I could officially fix this.
But, I'm curious what others have experienced, or if there are loopholes/ liabilities that I am not considering.
SD
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I think ur worried over nothing, our fatass cops won't bother to check Rolling Eyes
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

^^^^ Smile LOL

esde, is it possible to use that acid etching reveal method that they used on Forensic Files to see the tunnel VIN beyond the corrosion? Then somehow have it witnessed/photographed/notarized/etc etc? Probably thinking way out of the box here.

Here's one approach, jump to 3:25 where he starts applying the cocktail...

Link

Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

You said you have a title with a VIN that matches the tag in the car...If I were you, I'd stop worrying. You get plates with the title, then carry the registration for the plates. Most cops (fat assed or not) probably don't know(or care) that there is a number on the tunnel. If they're tearing apart your car that much, you have other problems...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

If it were my car I would take a set of number and letter stamps and stamp the serial number back on. Done!

I have a similar issue. When I bought my Manx copy I just registered it under the same serial number the previous owner did. Last year I checked to see if it was the same number on the pan. It is not! Completely different! What the heck?

So... is the pan from a stolen car? Has the number on the pan been registered as "written off" by an insurance company? I have no idea but the Buggy has been registered to this bogus serial number since 1976! I brought this issue up at the registry office last spring and the agent just shrugged and asked if I wanted to pay cash or credit card... Whatever happened back then is probably lost to anyone living today so I am just going to stamp the bogus number somewhere on the car and run with it.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I've had the coppers out on two separate occasions to verify the VIN on my car - once when I had to register the vehicle in a different state, and once when I let the registration expire for ten years while I was in South America.

Both times they just took a brief look at the tag in window, compared it to the VIN on the title and went on their way. I don't think there are too many people in the world who even know (or care) about the VIN plate in the trunk and stamped VIN on the tunnel.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

When did they start putting tags in the window? I think it was 69 or 70 here? At any rate I have never had anyone check the registration serial number against the car.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
If it were my car I would take a set of number and letter stamps and stamp the serial number back on.

This crossed my mind last night. But I was just thinking, the top of the tunnel is soft and there are limited options to "back it up" at this point, so the force required from stamps to impress a good number back into it would probably deform the top of the backbone and form a valley there.

I'm also of the mind to just roll it as is.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

How about stamping it on a strip of metal then pop rivet it in place? That is what I plan to do un my Manx copy because it's fiberglass and I want to put it on the dash up near the windshield where you would expect to find it on a modern car. I am going to use copper or aluminum so it doesn't rust.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

My understanding is that modifying or altering the vin in any way is illegal, and opens up another can of worms. As it is now I've done nothing wrong, besides having an affection for rusty old cars.
Yeah, I suppose leaving it as is, and just relying on the body tag is the way to go..
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Fishing for outside opinions on a situation that I have.
I have a ragtop that I purchased maybe 6 years ago. It was a future project, so I immediately mothballed it. All of the parts were boxed and jammed into the car, so I only even checked the body tag vin against the title. Now I have the car pulled out and emptied I find that there been some considerable rust and subsequent grinding on pan. The vin is 90% destroyed, and completely illegible.

So, I have an oval rag with no pan vin.

I realize that it would probably be best to contact my local state police regarding this, to see how I could officially fix this.
But, I'm curious what others have experienced, or if there are loopholes/ liabilities that I am not considering.
SD

Does the VIN on the body tag match the year you think you have?

Check here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Did you register the car with the DMV after you bought it? If so and the description in their system matches what you think you have you should be okay. If not, it's possible the VIN tag is attached to a panel that came off a totaled car that was parted out. That's why the only VIN that matters to the California DMV (and I imagine in most other states) is the one stamped on the frame. I imagine this may be the case with insurance companies too.

So potential future headaches could be if you go to sell the car someday and the lack of a frame-stamped VIN is a deal killer (a real possibility), or if the DMV/police want to crawl under the back seat to confirm the VIN for some reason (unlikely) or you need to file a claim with your insurance company and the adjuster decides to check for the VIN stamped on the frame (more likely). If there isn't one there, they may deny the claim and/or void the policy ... it depends on what their requirements are. I guess you could call the DMV (or state police if that is the applicable entity in your state) and your insurance company with a "what if" question. You know, just asking for a friend. Wink

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Do not assume the DMV is stupid or lazy. Years ago I applied for a bonded title on a VW I needed a title to. When the rep. from the DMV came up from Des Moines to verify the numbers {I had already sent them a rubbing of those numbers} he went directly to the chassis location to look. He then looked over the car and gave a value for what the thing was worth. That was what the bond covered. He knew his job! Stamping new numbers will show intent. Then you have to prove you intended to show the real numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I get the legal risks in altering a serial number. In the OP's case he is not changing (altering) anything, just clarifying what is already there especially if the same number is somewhere else on the body.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:

Does the VIN on the body tag match the year you think you have?

Check here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Did you register the car with the DMV after you bought it? If so and the description in their system matches what you think you have you should be okay. If not, it's possible the VIN tag is attached to a panel that came off a totaled car that was parted out. That's why the only VIN that matters to the California DMV (and I imagine in most other states) is the one stamped on the frame. I imagine this may be the case with insurance companies too.

So potential future headaches could be if you go to sell the car someday and the lack of a frame-stamped VIN is a deal killer (a real possibility), or if the DMV/police want to crawl under the back seat to confirm the VIN for some reason (unlikely) or you need to file a claim with your insurance company and the adjuster decides to check for the VIN stamped on the frame (more likely). If there isn't one there, they may deny the claim and/or void the policy ... it depends on what their requirements are. I guess you could call the DMV (or state police if that is the applicable entity in your state) and your insurance company with a "what if" question. You know, just asking for a friend. Wink

Good questions, and good advice.
The car has not been registered, but I did transfer the title to my name. And, the body tag is original to the car body. So, at least I have those bases covered. I like the idea of posing a "what if" question to the state police, and will probably start there. I'll update this with their response afterwards.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I had this issue once...

The MVA told me to take the car to the state police and they would inspect the vin's legibility.
If not legible, they would then issue a "new vin" with a special tag to be affixed to the vehicle.

I've also had a '47 plymouth coupe that had a "special" vin number issued from florida.
That sticker/tag was placed right next to the original vin tag...
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Iowa Mark wrote:
Do not assume the DMV is stupid or lazy. Years ago I applied for a bonded title on a VW I needed a title to. When the rep. from the DMV came up from Des Moines to verify the numbers {I had already sent them a rubbing of those numbers} he went directly to the chassis location to look. He then looked over the car and gave a value for what the thing was worth. That was what the bond covered. He knew his job! Stamping new numbers will show intent. Then you have to prove you intended to show the real numbers.

In Virginia, the DMV is either stupid or lazy. I, and others cannot even get the bare necessities out of them. It is a government office run by government employees who think you work for them and not the other way around. As for this particular situation, as long as you have numbers anywhere on the car that correspond to the title that you have, come on down. No need to restamp, just shut up, hand the old title to them and thats that.......done. They really only care about whats for lunch.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Just try to register it. If it’s a problem most if not all states have ways to deal with it to include issuing a new VIN I know that’s not what you would want but it would be legal. And yes it would still be treated as the year it was manufactured for DOT and emissions standards.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
I had this issue once...

The MVA told me to take the car to the state police and they would inspect the vin's legibility.
If not legible, they would then issue a "new vin" with a special tag to be affixed to the vehicle.

I've also had a '47 plymouth coupe that had a "special" vin number issued from florida.
That sticker/tag was placed right next to the original vin tag...

Best answer right there. Applause
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I had to do that in NJ for a boat that predated hull numbers. Had to tow it to local marine police (part of state police). They checked to make sure it wasn;t reported as stolen and then issued their own hull number.

I recently moved from PA to NC. Car came from CT while I lived in PA, only needed pics of the VIN on the body (69, so easily visible through the windsheild). Here in NC, I had to have it inspected by a DMV officer (who I found out is part of the vehicle theft division). He looked at the one inside the windsheild, then asked me to remove the rear seat bottom so he could check that number as well. I said it seems he knows a little bit about these cars, he said yeah, he does about a 100 a year.

Bottom line...check with your state's DMV for how to handle it. Best way to keep yourelf out of trouble. As others have said don't redo the numbers yourself.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

My Massachusetts inspection station didn't even know there was a number there. He looked at me like I had three heads when i asked if he needed the rear seat lifted up for the VIN check
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: