Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importance of pan vin number
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I have had to show the inspectors both VIN locations. They had no idea where to look.
Personally I wouldn't sweat it.
That being said I wouldn't recommend trying to restore or alter the pan VIN under any circumstances.
In the off chance of someone even knowing or deciding to look at the VIN, if it looks like it was tampered it would definitely set off more alarm bells than simply having an illegible VIN due to weathering.
That would be much more easy to explain.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

The only time I had to do a VIN check an older gentleman inspector came out with a young female that was in training. They make you leave the car, but I was still in earshot of the inspectors. He explained that the VW's were a bit different than the "normal" cars. He told her not even to check the VIN tags in the front. He was telling her the only one that matters is under the rear seat.

Then he had her go into the car, lift the seat, and read off the VIN.

This was in SoCal, so it's plausible they get more VW's than rust belt states.

Some inspectors still know what they are doing.

I would not buy, or put money into a VW with illegible pan VIN unless it had a sate assigned VIN attached to the door jamb, and proper paperwork.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Just to update my VIN issue, the original problem was that the VIN number that is on my bill of sale and that the car was originally registered and insured under does not appear anywhere on the car that I can find. This is an 8 digit number staring with "B...". It is a Manx copy so there is a VIN number on the pan in the usual place starting with 1122... which identifies the donor car as a September 1971 Standard Beetle.

My concern was that sometime in the future I may get stopped by an officer of the law and the mismatching VIN numbers would be called into question and complications would arise.

Option 1 was to got to the registry office and do a title search on the 1122... number to see what the status is on the original car. Written off? Stolen? The lady in there was filling in for the normal registry person and had no clue what I was trying to accomplish or how to go about it. She could not find either of the VIN numbers because the were both less than 17 digits! She suggested going on line to Carfax, pay the $65 because there is more info there than she could give me. Carfax also does not accept VIN numbers less than 17 digits as well it turns out! Even putting zeros in for the missing numbers did not work.

Option 2 then was to go to the local police and ask them. I was a bit concerned that red flags would be raised, fingers pointed, hard question asked and the car towed and impounded until resolved. No officer was available to answer my questions so off home to stew over it and await a call. Will I need to quickly strip this car and give them a bare pan with the original VIN and look for a new pan? No time for that now!

My fears were totally unfounded! An officer called, I explained the situation of the two VIN numbers, he totally understood where I was coming from and what I wanted to accomplish. A few minutes on his end revealed that the car had been registered at different times under both VIN numbers. Where the "B... " number came from we have no idea. Perhaps it was a Special Construction VIN number assigned to it? He confirmed that neither VIN number showed up as salvage or stolen. He ran a check on the fellow I bought the car from - nothing of note there.

I then told him I wanted to stamp the VIN on a plate and pop rivet it to the dash in the normal place they are found today. He had no issue with that at all. I asked him which VIN number I should use and he told me it did not matter as both were valid as far as he was concerned. He gave me a police file number to give to anyone who had concerns in the future. He has photos from me in it of the original bill of sale, the pan VIN number, the car and a copy of our conversation on the issue.

All this was resolved over the phone at no charge! Sweet!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I guess Canada and the US do it a bit different. Here the police will affix a new VIN.

The DMV here also get a weird with the short VINs. Usually an older person will know how to handle it. Or, I've needed to tell them they need to look it up in their PHYSICAL book, not the computer.

The books are there somewhere, usually under a thick layer of dust!

As long as the VINs don't come back stolen, the DMV/police/registration office don't care. I've fixed a title with a simple "VIN Correction" form, and a VIN check.
HarrysRatBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I'd do it legal as possible before spending any more money on it. Pete the CEO of Airkewld posted a story on their Facebook page about buying a bus and then got it confiscated. He'd done all due diligence, checked all numbers against title etc. Even bought it from a retired cop. Turned out it was stolen decades ago and had legally changed hands at least a couple times but Arizona don't play. He said he'd update his story as it happens!
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
This is an 8 digit number staring with "B...". It is a Manx copy so there is a VIN number on the pan in the usual place starting with 1122... which identifies the donor car as a September 1971 Standard Beetle.

8-digits VINs starting with B were used on brazilian-made VWs. Your car probably started its life with a brazilian pan.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
oprn wrote:
This is an 8 digit number staring with "B...". It is a Manx copy so there is a VIN number on the pan in the usual place starting with 1122... which identifies the donor car as a September 1971 Standard Beetle.

8-digits VINs starting with B were used on brazilian-made VWs. Your car probably started its life with a brazilian pan.

The B... number does not appear anywhere on this vehicle. Not on the pan, not on the body, not on the engine, not on the transaxle... It only exists on the PAPERWORK!
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Yes, got that. What I was proposing is that the number may have physically existed at some point in the past. Brazil in the '70s and '80s had many small to medium scale companies manufacturing (and exporting) fiberglass bodied cars, including manx "clones" such as the Bugre or the Glaspac, on locally sourced VW pans. It is thus IMHO reasonable to theorize that the "B" number existed when the papers were first issued and the car was then at some point re-panned with the "112" one.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Every state/province has different rules and culture on VINS. French is still the best.

In NY, a user made VIN plate would start a real hassle. Mere possession of a loose VIN plate is a crime.

One big factor in all this decision tree is if you just want to run it or are thinking resale. I’m at a life stage where I won’t resell anything for need anymore so I don’t care about salvage or rebuilt titles on anything
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Yes, got that. What I was proposing is that the number may have physically existed at some point in the past. Brazil in the '70s and '80s had many small to medium scale companies manufacturing (and exporting) fiberglass bodied cars, including manx "clones" such as the Bugre or the Glaspac, on locally sourced VW pans. It is thus IMHO reasonable to theorize that the "B" number existed when the papers were first issued and the car was then at some point re-panned with the "112" one.

Ok, I get it now. Yes anything is possible. The pan and engine serial numbers indicate a '72 Beetle but the swing axle transaxle is '67 vintage. Another puzzling thing is that the pan is swing axle at that year. I don't recall ever seeing a swing axle Beetle newer than '68 in Canada, the exception being a '73 that I owned briefly that was clearly marked as a Mexican produced car on the door post sticker. I have been told I am wrong though...
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Pretty much all world bugs except US and Canada spec cars remained swing axle all along. E.g. in Europe IRS was available on super beetles only.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

Our '69 buggy sits on a '56 pan and has three VINs. In the 70's my dad was pulled over for his headlights shaking too much, was told he had to get a SPCN VIN from the DMV in California. So he did, it's an aluminum plate pop riveted to the tunnel where your foot rests next to the accelerator wheel, it's mostly rubbed off but I restamped the numbers years ago and it's now covered with carpet. So that's two, the original one for the '56 and the CADMV for SPCN.

When I shipped it to Okinawa, even with the CADMV title and registration the vehicle inspection officer insisted on stamping a new number for Japanese registration on the pan, below the original '56 pan VIN. It took him over an hour and a 2 Kg hammer to bang the number in and I think it also flattened his stamp set-that tunnel is hard metal!

Now that I'm in Germany, had both CADMV and Japanese registrations, the German office used the CADMV number as the VIN for current registration.

It's been and still is a fun ride with inspections and registrations!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Pretty much all world bugs except US and Canada spec cars remained swing axle all along. E.g. in Europe IRS was available on super beetles only.

Our British Columbia brothers tell me that swing axle Beetles continued to be sold in Canada too right up to the end of production. The fact that I didn't see that here in our prairie province may be weather related. We get serious winter here and every VW sold here came with a gas heater after about '66 or '67. Every Beetle I owned from '68 on had a gas heater, IRS and was labelled a Deluxe Beetle. The exception was that '73 Mexican production one. It was a Standard, no gas heater, no chrome strips around the windows and Swing axle. Maybe The IRS was part of the Deluxe package and was all that the dealers here brought in.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Our '69 buggy sits on a '56 pan and has three VINs. In the 70's my dad was pulled over for his headlights shaking too much, was told he had to get a SPCN VIN from the DMV in California. So he did, it's an aluminum plate pop riveted to the tunnel where your foot rests next to the accelerator wheel, it's mostly rubbed off but I restamped the numbers years ago and it's now covered with carpet. So that's two, the original one for the '56 and the CADMV for SPCN.

When I shipped it to Okinawa, even with the CADMV title and registration the vehicle inspection officer insisted on stamping a new number for Japanese registration on the pan, below the original '56 pan VIN. It took him over an hour and a 2 Kg hammer to bang the number in and I think it also flattened his stamp set-that tunnel is hard metal!

Now that I'm in Germany, had both CADMV and Japanese registrations, the German office used the CADMV number as the VIN for current registration.

It's been and still is a fun ride with inspections and registrations!

Interesting! I highly suspect that some of the variance in the responses of the inspectors has more to do with the personal pinions of said inspector than actual legislation. The one registrar lady just would not accept any serial number less that 17 digits but the police had no issue with my 8 digit one. Are they not both working from the same legislation? I suspect she was just too lazy to or inexperienced to make it happen.

In light of YDBD's experiance I am going to stamp a tag with the 8 digit number on it and mount it to the body with pop rivets. I considered getting the insurance and registration changed to reflect the pan serial number but I can see that turning into a lengthy battle on both fronts for no real gain. If our law enforcement people don't feel there is a need to do it then who else matters?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I believe in most areas registration varies from state to state, and country to country. Both in Germany and Japan vehicles undergo a safety inspection (JCI or Tüv) and the VIN is physically looked at to match the registration. Most people despise the inspections, probably because they think their car should be safe just because it drives. I know of two cars that were failed and probably prevented an accident-one had faulty rear A arm bushings and the other a leaking brake line. Japan's inspections were more difficult and frivolous (you got out of the car to measure headlight height) and Germany is a lot of common sense and you frequently drive very fast-though not in the buggy-it's very uncomfortable over 120kph.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I have seen cars with official looking vin plates riveted on.
It may vary by state, but they must have some way to handle it if somebody grinds off the number.

My buddy had a bug with four different vin numbers.

has anybody achieved five?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Importance of pan vin number Reply with quote

I was talking to a neighbor yesterday who has 3 on his Dodge truck. The police suggested he should get rid of two of them to save confusion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: