Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

I had just finished sorting my Notch, my 66 Bug was done, I'm thinking, "It's time to finally finish the Ghia I started 7 years ago. Ha! Not so fast!

I get a call offering me a 1955 Bug project that had stalled. Previous owner had started a pan off resto, had floor pans replaced, powder coated pan and had a high-end paint job done. Unfortunately, that's where the project stopped.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, we make a deal and I bring home a shell, loosely installed on a pan, and a few boxes of parts, no engine, no trans, no wheels.

First thing, send off the interior bits for powdercoat and assemble the seats using SewFine covers. FYI, new seat spikes are sharp! I had to get stitches that day also, but that's neither here nor there. Laughing

The pan already had a 6" beam installed, I was not a fan, Installed a 4" beam with needle bearings and shocks, Limebug extended Ultrarm and steering stop. Rear had 3" drop plates, I was also not a fan, installed 2" adjustable drop plates to go along with the previously installed later torsion bars & JayCee Billet Spring Plate Retainers. Here are some random pics of the assembly.

Once I had the body & interior done, I shifted my focus on engine, I had a shuffle-pinned Mexican AS41 case that I figured would be a good match.

Went down to the local Brothers VW machine shop and bought some shiny bits; Mahle 94mm pistons, 78mm crank, Brothers hand-ported 44x37.5 heads with VW650 Springs & Ti retainers and matching welded Big Beef manifolds, Pauter 1.5 rockers, tool steel lifters, FK8 cam, H-beam rods, flywheel and misc stuff.

I love heat in a aircooled VW, so heater was a must. Modded, cleaned up and painted stock tins. Also installed Andrig's composite fan and fixed cooling flaps.

Almost ready to fire up..

Unfortunately, being my first oval, I didn't realize that Big Beef manifolds and air filters dont fit under an oval decklid, So, no filters it is.

To go with the new engine, I got a Dave Folts built Pro Street starting with an IRS case converted to swing with 3.78/2.06/1.32/0.89 & 4.12 final with a modded Super diff and billet end plates to provide additional oiling to the fulcrum plates. Also installed a Stiffy Kafer Bar and Mid Mount to tie up the rear.

My vision for the car was something that looked "stock" at a glance, something that still kept a little of the early bug look and feel but with a little more. I figured a set of stock smoothies up front and a pair of Deep Vees 6" widened smoothies wrapped in BF Goodrich Silvertown Radials (145r15 front and 205/65/15 rear) completed the look, no fake whitewalls here.

Then end result ...

I wish I would have taken more pics of the process but I was too focused on the build. Now, the million dollar question, which bug do I keep?!?!

Thanks for reading. If anyone is interested, here are links to my 66 bug and notch "build"

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=761525&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762225&highlight=
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Wow a one-post build! Looks awesome. What color paint is it?
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Absolutely magnificent.

Great job.
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
Wow a one-post build! Looks awesome. What color paint is it?

Thanks guys. The color is actually Toyota Army Green.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

nice! is that iceland green?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

My goodness, that's beautiful.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Wow. Clearly a professional build. Very nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Keep the oldest one! It will have the most value and WOW appeal!
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

sweet
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

GMendoza wrote:

Now, the million dollar question, which bug do I keep?!?!

My vote is the '55 but I may be a bit biased.

I am fascinated in your car's history. Someone has gone to great lenghths to restore it beautifully and walked away. Could be many reasons I guess.
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Thanks guys

markendee wrote:
GMendoza wrote:

I am fascinated in your car's history. Someone has gone to great lenghths to restore it beautifully and walked away. Could be many reasons I guess.

Unfortunately I think he fell into the same trap that many fall into, had a vision but under-estimated the resources that it takes to finish a project like this and it became overwhelmed
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Amazing build, exactly my taste! What a piece of luck to get ahold of a project as well done as this!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

GMendoza wrote:
Thanks guys

markendee wrote:
GMendoza wrote:

Unfortunately I think he fell into the same trap that many fall into, had a vision but under-estimated the resources that it takes to finish a project like this and it became overwhelmed

I am not sure folks are aware of how much it costs to take on a project of this caliber. That’s where the overwhelm comes into it… cost. Depending on how much you pay for the car, it’s anywhere from 60-80k all in if you do the assembly yourself. If you pay someone else, forget about it. It better be a labor of love.

I am currently restoring two cars. One, the ragtop, came up midway through the hard top build. Much like the original owner of the car in this thread, I will likely part ways with the hard top before it’s finished. The ragtop is my holy grail and I will see it to completion. Cost too much to build two cars.

PS. I would reverse the color of the rims. It would be more correct to original with a bonus of not making the white walls look 10 inches wide. Other than that, nice build!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Quote:
PS. I would reverse the color of the rims. It would be more correct to original with a bonus of not making the white walls look 10 inches wide. Other than that, nice build!

I did not want to nitpick, but I would have skipped the whitewalls altogether, to the same effect. Otherwise it is incredibly tasty.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Quote:

I did not want to nitpick, but I would have skipped the whitewalls altogether, to the same effect. Otherwise it is incredibly tasty.

I love the wheels.

Here is another great example.

Last edited by markendee on Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Nice wipers Wink
Really sweet build. That green with the oatmeal interior is just perfect.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

I love the interior. Very nicely done. Great paint.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Nice wipers Wink

Totally missed that. Looks good though.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Well that didn't take long!

Darned nice finished product.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

markendee wrote:
GMendoza wrote:

Before deciding, we should see his '66. I have to admit I'm partial to both.

Frankly, I would part with the Notchback, because I'm a bug guy.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: