Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
markendee wrote:
GMendoza wrote:

Now, the million dollar question, which bug do I keep?!?!

My vote is the '55 but I may be a bit biased.

Before deciding, we should see his '66. I have to admit I'm partial to both.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Frankly, I would part with the Notchback, because I'm a bug guy.

I have changed my vote - keep both!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

I vote for both. 2 Bugs are better than 1! Keep it Simple! I have a 70 and a 54. I had a 77, too. But that was 1 Bug to many. I finally have figured out 2 Bugs is perfect!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Southpaw69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Very nice work. Everything looks great and the stance is perfect. Keep em both if possible.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Do you have adaptors for those smoothies, or how did you adapt the wide 5 look to the front disks?
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It's a tough choice. The 66 is a great drive. I've put about 8k mi on it in the last two years. This 55 is almost too nice to drive it that much.

I did the first oil change after break-in, hooked up a wideband and re-jetted the carbs. Here's a couple of pics while it was on the lift,

Thanks
esde wrote:
Nice wipers Wink
Really sweet build. That green with the oatmeal interior is just perfect.

I was a little disappointed the previous owner shaved the wipers before painting the car. I considered re-drilling the holes for the wiper but decided not to risk it and run no wiper. It is a "nice weather" car anyways.

Dan22 wrote:
Do you have adaptors for those smoothies, or how did you adapt the wide 5 look to the front disks?

Yes, brakes are 5x130 so i run adapters to fit the smoothies.

Speaking of wheels, they were a tough choice. I played with the idea of reversing the colors, no whitewalls, I even tried Gas Burners but in the end I felt like this combo complimented and highlighted the ivory & light colored bits in the interior. If the interior bits were black, i would have definitely gone a different route with the wheels.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:

PS. I would reverse the color of the rims. It would be more correct to original with a bonus of not making the white walls look 10 inches wide. Other than that, nice build!

I 100% disagree. I love the way the rims blend into the white walls.

Looks fantastic.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

GMendoza wrote:
esde wrote:
Nice wipers Wink
Really sweet build.

I was a little disappointed the previous owner shaved the wipers before painting the car. I considered re-drilling the holes for the wiper but decided not to risk it and run no wiper. It is a "nice weather" car anyways.

It's funny how we often don't notice what isn't there!
Rainex time!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't think I'd be building a '55, but here I am. Reply with quote

markendee wrote:
lardawge wrote:

PS. I would reverse the color of the rims. It would be more correct to original with a bonus of not making the white walls look 10 inches wide. Other than that, nice build!

I 100% disagree. I love the way the rims blend into the white walls.

Looks fantastic.

The car was sold last year. The new owner installed a set 3-piece 17" smoothies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: