Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Sedan - Hardly any brakes - master cylinder?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjrdomer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: 1957 Sedan - Hardly any brakes - master cylinder? Reply with quote

Seeking some advice…I have a 1957 Beetle Sedan (US spec). A few months ago, I replaced the pedal cluster with a newly rebuilt one. Everything was seemingly fine until last week - the brakes seem to be almost gone. Push pedal to floor, don’t feel resistance until very close to the firewall and there isn’t much stopping power.

I see no apparent fluid leaks - drums/hoses/connections all dry. So I adjusted the brake shoes, only one seemed to need it. Still having same issue. Press pedal, car barely stops.

I don’t think it’s anything with the pedal assembly - it worked fine for a few months - 100 miles or so. So I’m assuming it’s the master cylinder.

Any thoughts? Is changing the master cylinder a difficult job? Do the pedals have to come back out? I hope not as that was a very tedious job.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Sedan - Hardly any brakes - master cylinder? Reply with quote

First thing that came to mind was the free play at the brake pedal. The pushrod needs to be away from the cylinder by 1mm at rest. If the pushrod is touching and most likely applying any pressure to the cylinder, it will not allow the operation of the brakes to act normally.

If you have the correct free play. Sounds like a leak, either internally or externally. If you do not see fluid anywhere (check the bottom of the nap hat) then my guess would be the master.

You can test the Master Cylinder by pumping up the brakes a few pumps worth and on the last pump hold the brake pedal down, like you are hitting them hard. If there is a small leak, or faulty seals within the system, the pedal will slowly drop.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Sedan - Hardly any brakes - master cylinder? Reply with quote

The only problem I've ever seen from no brake pedal free play is the shoes or pads remain slightly applied. The friction of the linings causes the brakes to over heat and expand which exacerbates the problem.
Have you removed the driver's side floor pan mat or carpet and inspected the front to rear brake line? If that line leaks it's usually up by the pedal cluster, the fluid will leak under the mat and won't be evident without pulling up the mat. How is the level in the reservoir?
rjrdomer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Sedan - Hardly any brakes - master cylinder? Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
The only problem I've ever seen from no brake pedal free play is the shoes or pads remain slightly applied. The friction of the linings causes the brakes to over heat and expand which exacerbates the problem.
Have you removed the driver's side floor pan mat or carpet and inspected the front to rear brake line? If that line leaks it's usually up by the pedal cluster, the fluid will leak under the mat and won't be evident without pulling up the mat. How is the level in the reservoir?

No leaks. Reservoir is full to the top.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Sedan - Hardly any brakes - master cylinder? Reply with quote

Sounds like the MC is faulty. Time to replace it. No, you do not need to remove the pedal assembly to change out the MC.

Here is the Bentley troubleshooting chart.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: