Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel heater in Aux location
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

So I’ve been debating about this idea for a long time. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 3kw Vevor kit. I didn’t want to cut the van and I wanted to have a clean install. So I removed the factory heater since the PO disconnected it. I used a drawer I’ve collected and a few other parts to make a clean install in my opinion. I’m kinda excited to get out and try it. I had a small tank around so I used that before I invest in fabricating an under mount. I use the factory switch to power the system down. I wired it to the house batteries. Let me know any tips or opinions.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

Can you tell us what we are looking at in your pics please? Most importantly,....where did you plumb the heater output into the EV,...I have seen another plumb his up into the existing rear floor mounted heater vent behind the passenger seat.

Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins on Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

I think that I would have mounted the heater sideways (I think you can do that with those) and ran the intake and exhaust out the side of the drawer. Out the bottom just looks like it is ready to get ripped off. Maybe that is just me and I do a lot of dirt miles. But even keeping it out of road debris is a good thing.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

bcolins- look up "chinese diesel heater" or similar. There's an epic thread about them over in the vanagon forum. It's basically a small standalone furnace separate from the vehicle. I personally wouldn't use one driving down the road, but in a non-EVC eurovan that doesn't have the Suburban furnace? Freaking sweet for camping! I assume the hot air vents through the same vents the stock aux heater was using.

OP- this looks awesome, at first I thought you had the exhaust plumbed all the way out back, now I see that's the first muffler. Is there anyway to tuck that up a little tighter and, obvs, be careful leaving your side window cracked while sleeping if furnace running.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
bcolins- look up "chinese diesel heater" or similar. There's an epic thread about them over in the vanagon forum. It's basically a small standalone furnace separate from the vehicle.

Am familiar with them,...just wasnt clear where and how he mounted and plumbed it,....so was asking for details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

Originally I was going to mount it sideways. But the glow plug would of been on the bottom and read that was a no go. That is if I didn’t reroute the intake. The heat output goes through the floor. I had a shop vac attachment that screwed into place.

I just did a trip with it and did some dispersed camping and off road driving in Death Valley. Nothing got caught. Only install issue was the line melted where I routed it in the engine compartment. I had installed the ACU header and it makes some heat. Luckily I bring spares. Running it at night with a low of 32 it kept it well above the setting temp. I was running it in alpine mode at 8c and it was keeping it about 17c according to the controller. For 7 hours of run time I used only .5 gallons.

My reasoning behind all of this was I didn’t want to hack the van up and I had scrap laying around and time.
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

nice!

thanks for posting the project
almond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

I hosed mine by driving through too large a puddle.

These things are designed to be mounted inside, so you should take steps to waterproof it as much as possible while under the van.

Water can also come in the "cold side" air intake too and mess up the electronics.

They work great though
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel heater in Aux location Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Luckily it’s first putting was during a big rain storm. I tried to position it where it wouldn’t get splash up and sealed off the intake to the fresh air boot. If water does get in it can drain out as I’ve learned steam is worse than water sometimes.

And I have to say I wish I went for the 2k version but the 3k was too good of a deal
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: