Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cb dist coil
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

For the guys who have it,da ting tell a 30,000 volt coil, so how is it with 7500 rpm and 40 to 45 plug gap with 2500cc and 10 to 1 Comp. Spark seams low to me.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

You need to check out jpaull post on page 3
China distributor & tips Wink
Great tread about spark!!!!!!!!!!
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

Maui,
Why are you running such a large sparkplug gap?

Unless you have a CDI system in the car.
You should be running a sparkplug gap near .028". That's what I run with the CB MagnaSpark II and the dry pack coil.

And yes, JPaull's "Chinese MSD clone" thread is a wealth of information on ignition systems for VW's.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

The CB Magnaspark coil original OEM application is Mitsubishi PN: MD146982, OEM for 1990-1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, Dodge Ram 50 with 2.4L 4G64 engine, recommended spark plug gap was .028-.030”

Specs from CB-
Turns Ratio: 72:1
Inductance: 8 mh
Primary Resistance: 1.1 OHMs
Secondary Resistance: 13.5K OHMs
Maximum Voltage: 30,000 Volts
Peak Current: 45 mA
Spark Duration: 2.5 mS

I wouldn’t think it makes sense to go bigger on the gap, it’s not a terribly powerful coil.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

Hey Maui,

The cb magnaspark coil and distributor are like one level above stock. It has a longer duration spark, but the spark is not very intense. It will work for what you have. Its simple and very low cost.

That being said, getting a setup that has a separate CDI as its power supply with a appropriate coil for that spark will be better then running off a coil by itself. Crane, MSD, FAST, etc. You have been working on that 2.5l for awhile, it deserves a healthy ignition. Is worth the time and research.

Mike and Rusty, appreciate the props Wink The thread is a hoot, I think anyone that takes some time to go through it, can come up with a educated decision on what they want, and do it for super low cost and be reliable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Hey Maui,

The cb magnaspark coil and distributor are like one level above stock. It has a longer duration spark, but the spark is not very intense. It will work for what you have. Its simple and very low cost.

That being said, getting a setup that has a separate CDI as its power supply with a appropriate coil for that spark will be better then running off a coil by itself. Crane, MSD, FAST, etc. You have been working on that 2.5l for awhile, it deserves a healthy ignition. Is worth the time and research.

Mike and Rusty, appreciate the props Wink The thread is a hoot, I think anyone that takes some time to go through it, can come up with a educated decision on what they want, and do it for super low cost and be reliable.

Yes....agree. Voltage wise, 30kv is mid-level.

30kv is better than the 18-20kv you get with stock coils. But its not enough voltage to be moving to larger plug gaps at a longer duration. It would be better at shorter duration.

Yes a CDI would be better....but you do not even need that on more basic systems. You can run something like a hall effect module for sharper more uniform on/off signal and go with something like the Pertronix 42Kv coil.

That supports higher compression at higher rpms and bigger plug gaps.

As jpaul notes....30kv is not especially powerful if part of your plan is larer plug gaps.

That being said....0.043" ...in modern ignition systems is pretty much right in the middle of normal. Either get a more powerful coil or keep your gaps in the normal acvw range.

Ray
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
The CB Magnaspark coil original OEM application is Mitsubishi PN: MD146982, OEM for 1990-1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, Dodge Ram 50 with 2.4L 4G64 engine, recommended spark plug gap was .028-.030”

Specs from CB-
Turns Ratio: 72:1
Inductance: 8 mh
Primary Resistance: 1.1 OHMs
Secondary Resistance: 13.5K OHMs
Maximum Voltage: 30,000 Volts
Peak Current: 45 mA
Spark Duration: 2.5 mS

I wouldn’t think it makes sense to go bigger on the gap, it’s not a terribly powerful coil.

WoaaahDeWOAAH WHAT? I tried to find this info. I think CB uses a cheap "okey dokey" version of that coil, which I am on my third one of in 5,000 miles. Turns out, there is an NGK version!!

https://www.ngk.com/ngk-49044-u1180-ignition-coil

Am I about to have the most reliable modern ignition system out there? A reliable version of the chronically unreliable CB single post dry pack coil was my missing puzzle piece. The centrifugal Magnaspark with mag trigger is brick solid IMO. Coil? An affordable afterthought.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

Yea I running a DUI and hei with 45 plug gap and run good but now the timing is getting iratic so I’m looking around cuz mine one stay 11 years old. Or I could rebuild it.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

I've had some issues with the DUI modules breaking down on VW applications (still love them for our circle track V8 engines). Not sure why since the heat and vibration in that distributor shouldn't be any different than in a V8 dirt track car, but that could be what you are fighting.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

Mine run super good but da ting is big so I like a small one so when I checked it out it was running a iratic timing on my light 29 to 36 degrees instead of 32 so I figure it’s time for another or rebuild it to new.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

Try a ford tfi with an HEI off a late 80s ford V8.

Plug gaps at 0.045 and better idle and response all around. Coil runs cool too compared to all else. I too had a cb coil before at 0.028 plug gaps and it fried. Not impressed.

-Frank
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cb dist coil Reply with quote

got another DUI/HEI and timing is solid so I'm happy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: