Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

Here is my three step process for dash and vinyl preservation. I have done this as both preservation and then in maintenance phase. I am doing this on my notch's door panels, dash and head liner. Have not really changed this on vinyl in 25 years.
Physical materials. Old cotton flannel, Aged out Ultrasonic toothbrush unit and toothbrush, plastic spray bottle and paper towels
Liquid materials: Witches Brew #1 and Witches Brew #2, Distilled Water
Witches Brew #1 recipe (Increase as needed) Use in spray bottle
+ 1 cup or 250 ml of Distilled water
+ 1-3 drops of a mild liquid soap (Ivory or similar
+ 1 oz or 25 ml of 3-5% Hydrogen Peroxide
+ 1 oz or 25 ml of 90% isopropyl alcohol

Witches Brew #2 recipe (Increase as needed) Use in Spray Bottle
+ 1 cup or 250 ml of Distilled water
+ 3 oz or 80 mL of 3M 09023 Marine Vinyl Cleaner, Conditioner, & Protector
+ 1 oz or 25 mL of 303 protectorant

1. Pre-clean all the surface with Witches Brew #1
-Use toothbrush and flannel to work in the liquid, Let stand wet for a few minutes and repeat.
-After step 1 rinse well with Distilled water and wipe dry with paper towels.
2. Spray on Witches Brew #2
- Let sit for five-ten minutes
- Work into surface with Flannel
- Wipe Excess off with Paper towel
3. Polish lightly with clean flannel making sure there is no residue visible.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

If you could find a large enough sheet of pebble grain material, could you do a vacuum wrap like they wrap Car parts on paper backing?. What I have done on my NOS dash, for long lasting protection, I did NOT tighten the screws all the way allowing for cooling heating warpage. And I used Meguiar's Vinyl protectant abundantly, Letting it soak in and after a day or two, wiping off the excess.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
No more Armor-All for me!
I use 303 Aerospace now. It seemed the best a few years ago. Maybe there is better stuff now.
What are you trying to protect it from?:
- Drying out: a good protectant, applied before it looks like it needs it.
- UV: protectant plus even a cheap cardboard sunshade is worth it. I use the bubble-wrap mylar reflective ones.
- Temperatures: cycling from hot to cold means expansion and contraction, and that movement puts cracks at stress points. Shades, and cracking windows help with heat. Not much you can do for cold other than a garage!

Lucky for me, I have a heated garage that is used only for my summer cars so the temp stays pretty constant (infloor heating) so the cold shouldn’t be a factor. It does get driven about 5000 miles a year, mostly sunny days. My dash has developed one small crack between the speaker holes in the four years I have owned it. I was using a Lucas based product and will try out the 303, with maybe some petroleum jelly on the area that cracked.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
If you could find a large enough sheet of pebble grain material, could you do a vacuum wrap like they wrap Car parts on paper backing?. What I have done on my NOS dash, for long lasting protection, I did NOT tighten the screws all the way allowing for cooling heating warpage. And I used Meguiar's Vinyl protectant abundantly, Letting it soak in and after a day or two, wiping off the excess.

Still looks good after 58 yrs and only 12 yrs installed. That Meguiar’s vinyl protectant works.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

Check this out! Who can do this here?

https://youtu.be/K7YCAofoDs8

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
bigfish6025
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
Here is my three step process for dash and vinyl preservation. I have done this as both preservation and then in maintenance phase. I am doing this on my notch's door panels, dash and head liner. Have not really changed this on vinyl in 25 years.
Physical materials. Old cotton flannel, Aged out Ultrasonic toothbrush unit and toothbrush, plastic spray bottle and paper towels

Thanks for sharing this! I've been a devotee of 303 for keeping drysuit gaskets alive. But needing to clean and preserve my door panels, dashboard, and especially headliner has been on the agenda.

Question about the sonicare toothbrush- just to confirm, you would go over the whole thing with the toothbrush on? I would need to mentally prepare for that job, which is why I ask... off to make me some witches brew!
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

bigfish6025 wrote:
Ossipon wrote:

Thanks for sharing this! I've been a devotee of 303 for keeping drysuit gaskets alive. But needing to clean and preserve my door panels, dashboard, and especially headliner has been on the agenda.

Question about the sonicare toothbrush- just to confirm, you would go over the whole thing with the toothbrush on? I would need to mentally prepare for that job, which is why I ask... off to make me some witches brew!

I use my Sonicare on the areas where the grunge seems to be the worst. It is amazing how well it works. Give you an example. I found it worked best when I had the panels removed and along the edge where the vinyl wraps over the board. The dirt and grease accumulates there oh so well.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

Back when I built my 65 Notch, I used a JC Whitney reproduction dash pad (72 bucks shipped). Yes, I know it's wrong, but I didn't want to wait forever and not find a good replacement. In fact I built the car as a driver, so I didn't feel too bad about using the wrong part there. I did use the 71 and later rolled pieces that hold the pad in place. That allows the pad to float a little with it subjected to both hot and cold weather we get here in Michigan. It's been in the car since I built it back in 2000, and that car spends all of it's time (except when be worked on) outside. I have yet to add any type of dressing on it either. I don't know if it's a case of the manufacturer using a different type of vinyl or what but it still doesn't have any cracks after all of these years.

I did get one of Retrovan's reproduction dash pads for my wife's car, but I haven't installed it yet. It does look very nice, since I got one with the holes drilled in it. Some day I'll install it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

Every original dash I've ever owned has been cleaned with Windex and protected with Vaseline - Petroleum Jelly. Vanilla Smella preferably. Place on liberally, let set in the sun for 5-10 min. Wipe off residue/extra. Never an issue. I never understood why you put a water based product on an oil based product to "restore or protect". This is an old debate for as long as this place has been called the VW Planet. Putting oil on your dash will destroy it they say. Shocked Haven't seen it or at least the half-life decay if true isn't applicable to any desertion of care as far as a Type 3 dash is concerned. All I know is my dashes do not crack under my watch.

Present and past dashes I've lubed up.

If you find the right auto upholster guy - you recover the dash in 2 way stretch vinyl. This is the way I would go if I needed something closer to stock.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
,,,, This is an old debate for as long as this place has been called the VW Planet. Putting oil on your dash will destroy it they say. Shocked Haven't seen it or at least the half-life decay if true isn't applicable to any desertion of care as far as a Type 3 dash is concerned. All I know is my dashes do not crack under my watch.
If you find the right auto upholster guy - you recover the dash in 2 way stretch vinyl. This is the way I would go if I needed something closer to stock.

What you said about Oil based vs whatever dates back to me from the "wonders of Armorall days" Crying or Very sad I even remember hearing suntan oil mixed with saddle soap was the ticket at one time. I am sure Ray would detail out why one chemical method would theoretically be better. But, I think in the end, what ever works best for you is the ticket. And as you say in your sig line "Okay you win"
BTW: You really wanted to make me jealous of your Distributors lined for show didn't you? Very Happy
Water
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
notchboy wrote:
,,,, This is an old debate for as long as this place has been called the VW Planet. Putting oil on your dash will destroy it they say. Shocked Haven't seen it or at least the half-life decay if true isn't applicable to any desertion of care as far as a Type 3 dash is concerned. All I know is my dashes do not crack under my watch.

What you said about Oil based vs whatever dates back to me from the "wonders of Armorall days" Crying or Very sad I even remember hearing suntan oil mixed with saddle soap was the ticket at one time. I am sure Ray would detail out why one chemical method would theoretically be better. But, I think in the end, what ever works best for you is the ticket. And as you say in your sig line "Okay you win"
BTW: You really wanted to make me jealous of your Distributors lined for show didn't you? Very Happy

No disrespect but the difference to me is that Jason and MANY others have been using and sharing the use of petroleum jelly for 20 years, I started 20 years ago because of that. When you have so many years and so many people saying it works... why waste time on anything else? That said, if you have a nice dash you've been treating with something else for 20 years post up a pic.

Wait until you hear that Porsche recommended Vaseline on their wheels Laughing
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

This turned out to be a pretty decent thread. Thanks everyone for their participation.
I got my quote back, and yes it was $1200 and quite a few months out.
I do respect their restoration abilities, but for that coin, it would have to be an absolute perfect match.

The good thing about the dash is that its a bolt on application. We can run what we can find/afford, and if ever a perfect piece comes along, it can always be swapped out.
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

No disrespect but the difference to me is that Jason and MANY others have been using and sharing the use of petroleum jelly for 20 years,...
Wait until you hear that Porsche recommended Vaseline on their wheels Laughing

None taken. When I made the comment about Armor-all was when I realized it should not be used. And as I said, I find whatever works for the person, works for them.
I wish I had dashes to show. My 64 Notch is the first vinyl ACVW since my Karmann Ghia in the 70s. All my prior effort effort on ACVW vinyl restoration and maintenance has always been directed more at door panels, headliners, and seats. (59 bugs and SCs don't have much vinyl)
So most of my dash maintenance has been on Water cooled VWs or BMWs. I would base my bias to de-ionized water/alcohol solutions on the issue of how oil based solutions did not work for me on headliner or door panels as well.
Water
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

I think keeping it out of direct sunlight for weeks, months on end and extreme temp variations is the ticket. I noticed long ago when traveling between San Diego and Seattle that the metal in San Diego was super nice, but the interiors in Seattle were well preserved. These dashes come to you mostly from a storage place or from Europe. Not Spain but Germany and tempered climates that see more overcast.

This is where I think whatever works for you comes very true. I have to shield and protect in SoCal - replenish the life juice the sun here sucks out of it. Not so mush in Seattle. Wink Laughing

Thanks Erik, 20 years? Wow we are old samba farts now. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
This is where I think whatever works for you comes very true. I have to shield and protect in SoCal - replenish the life juice the sun here sucks out of it. Not so mush in Seattle. Wink Laughing

Just look at your "joined date" Jason. That was almost 21 years ago. And you've been into type 3s longer than that. Laughing

Myself I've been into them off and on since 1983, with a dark blue 66 Square that I bought from a VW dealership.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Restoration Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Just look at your "joined date" Jason. That was almost 21 years ago. And you've been into type 3s longer than that. Laughing

Myself I've been into them off and on since 1983, with a dark blue 66 Square that I bought from a VW dealership.

So yeah, since I was 17 - 35 years ago. Crying or Very sad Making me feel real youthful Bob! Laughing

A slippery treat from Sambas past.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312928&highlight=vaseline

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: