Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP - wire to Fog light connector cut is bad place
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: HELP - wire to Fog light connector cut is bad place Reply with quote

Bought all the parts to install OEM-style fog lights in my 1997 EVC, including brackets, interior light switch, L & R fog light, and a full lights wiring harness that will replace the existing harness (running all the way back to the fuse panel inside the cab).

My issue ... someone cut one of the 2 wires that leads right into one of the Fog Light connector clips (see photo). I've also attached a second photo showing the inside of the connector where contact gets made with the light's metal connectors.

With the wire being cut so close to the connector, I'm at a loss on how I can re-connect the wire ... normally I have always just stripped both ends, tied them together tightly and wrapped with black electrical tape (I realize this is not the best method, but the electrons flow). With it being cut so short, there's no chance to strip and solder that I can see. is there a way to remove the little bit of wire that's still inside the connector clip and insert freshly stripped wire? I don't see a way to "open" the connector clip. Am I going to have to source another clip from another harness? Thanks everyone!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: HELP - wire to Fog light connector cut is bad place Reply with quote

Seller of harness likely has additional harnesses and is going to send me another connector as a pigtail hat I can solder on as a fix. Waiting for confirmation.

Would still love ideas on what could be done to fix this one for future reference. Always love to learn new skills.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - wire to Fog light connector cut is bad place Reply with quote

You need to depin the harness. The wire is soldered to a pin that is then pushed into the plug. The pin has a barb that needs to be released. Sometimes you can get lucky and use a pick to release the bard. There is a tool for each kind of pin.

You can get a set of de pinning tools.

My "proper" way of connecting wires use to be strip, twist, solder, heat shrink wrap. But due to the brittle nature of solder, I have had a few joints fail. Usually in high vibration and strain applications on a off road motorcycle. I have had many twist and tape connection fail.

MY current goto are low temp solder sleave. These are the standard in the aerospace industry. They use to cost several dollars per, but then came Amazon... Low temp solder is not brittle. Waterproof. Strain relief. Fast. I just use a lighter to heat.

My EVC came with factory fog lights. One thing that I found odd was that the fog lights do not shut off when you turn on the brights. They should per DOT regs. Not sure why. We bought our EVC new right off the showroom floor, so no chance of someone modifying it.
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - wire to Fog light connector cut is bad place Reply with quote

Most sockets/pins in wiring harnesses will have a release tab on one side of socket/pin that will allow you to pull the wire etc. out of the harness. There are specialized tools to do this, but I've had success using a slotted micro screwdriver.

In your second pic, slide the screw driver into the hole/gap to side of the two metal prongs (you may have to try both to find the right one, or even both simultaneously?) to release the fixture from the harness/connector, and allow you to pull the wire/fixture out.

You won't need to do it with a new connector on it's way, but hopefully this will help someone as an FYI Cool
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - wire to Fog light connector cut is bad place Reply with quote

HeyCrutch wrote:
Seller of harness likely has additional harnesses and is going to send me another connector as a pigtail hat I can solder on as a fix. Waiting for confirmation.

Would still love ideas on what could be done to fix this one for future reference. Always love to learn new skills.

The leads can be separated from the housings. They are locked into place with a tab built into the connector. These can be removed using a small screwdriver to depress the tab far enough to release the connector. Most of the time there is a single tab but sometimes these have two tabs so keep that in mind. On my 1993 Weekender, I ended up replacing out a bare/shorted wire from the ignition switch > fusebox > stereo in the this manner, The old wire was removed from therespective housings and replaced with a new wire with the same connectors. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9940822#9940822

Examples of the locking tabs:

HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: HELP - wire to Fog light connector cut is bad place Reply with quote

The replies are much appreciated ... as one poster said, with my pigtail on the way I don't have to go this route of separating the pins from the housing, but I'm very happy to know how to do this (or at least how to attempt it).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: