Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Low back Seat rebuild.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugsandJeeps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: 1973 Low back Seat rebuild. Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am in the process of rebuilding the seats for my thing. Am I correct in thinking the pads and covers would be the same as a 65-67 beetle seats? Meaning pads and covers would fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Low back Seat rebuild. Reply with quote

I believe the seat bottom (spring set) is is a bit taller than the Beetle. Like an inch or so.

I just rebuilt my front seats. Ordered the pads and covers from the Thing Shop. Fit perfectly with no issues.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugsandJeeps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Low back Seat rebuild. Reply with quote

should the pads still fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Low back Seat rebuild. Reply with quote

When I re-did the stock seats in my '74, I used all Beetle stuff from Wolfsburg West.
I did this because I preferred the basket weave material (as seen in the owners manual) to the smooth vinyl. (The Thing shop refused to make them for me.)

They fit just like the original stuff. I did cut two pieces of scrap carpet to the shape of the seat springs, to place between the springs and the coconut pads.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Low back Seat rebuild. Reply with quote

When I received my Thing in 2016 there was only the convertible top frame with the seat covers ripped, so the seat frame was rusted bad.
I was able to media blast the frame and make a metal piece to repair missing metal of the frame. I used burlap between the frame and the padding.

I ordered specific seat covers and pads for a Thing from TMI. They have a choice of fabric, colors, piping.
I chose Oxen Red (looks like leather), because it was custom I had to wait for the covers to be made. The covers fit great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I added seat heaters from RockAuto while I was recovering the seats.

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
tyiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Low back Seat rebuild. Reply with quote

I always use seat pads from Wolfsburg West part #113881375f and 113881775f . I have used TMI seat covers ,but covers from the Thing Shop are the best.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: