Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle stand
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

What do you guys recommend for a transaxle stand for a trans rebuild? Do they make an adapter for an engine stand?

Or would this be a better option?

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Tubster-Extra-Larg...&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

I have done a syncro and 091/1 transaxle without a stand. If I were doing them for a living a stand would be helpful. The more important tool is the one that bolts across differential case for setup. I fabricated that. I used my bench till I was ready to drop the differential case back on. I use a bbq grill to heat the case to ease in assembly.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

Thanks.

Do you have a p/n for that tool? Also, any other must-have tools for a transaxle rebuild?

This is in reference to my trans failure in New Mexico

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=41
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I built this for a friend, laying on my back, under the van....

Luckily it turned out to work very well in the shop!

Note those four nubs that this unit grabs onto.
You can drill holes in them and bolt the four arms of a 'normal engine stand' to the gearbox case.
That's pretty easy way to do a seldom gearbox job.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

Tjet, which transmission do you intend to rebuild, Air-cool or Boxer?

I use the bench, floor, and my press, depending on what step I am in. I also have an old umbrella table which works as good as the bench.

I've either purchased the necessary tools or fabbed them.

Fabbed tools

-stand for the gear carrier (press purposes)
-tool for holding the main shaft to torque the 1st gear race nut
-tool to remove the race nut (purchased from a guy in Quebec)
-tool to push out the pinion shaft/big pinion bearing
-tool to remove/install the side screw adjuster
-several different tools for use with the press as necessary

--- Stand on the list now.

I did purchase a Jig for setting the gear adjustment in the DK and earlier air-cool transmissions. But, as I understand, a Jig is not necessary for setting gear adjustment in the WBXer transmission (091/1)

Of all the specific tools, you really need the big pinion socket.

I always pressure wash the outside of the transmission before opening it.

Last edited by AndyBees on Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

I really like that mount idea, which grabs those tabs. I think I can fab that up. I will also add a stub in the middle to fit into my floor jack.

I'm trying to find the trans code. I broke the locker thing off when I pulled the trans. I was on my back & didn't realize how heavy it was...

Andy, it's a syncro locker trans

I'm guessing I will need this too

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

That other unit is for a pro-shop.

Not my place to talk a feller out of a project....
but I would think you've got bigger fish to fry.....
rebuilding a gearbox out of a storage shed 2,000 miles from home? Laughing Laughing Cool

Sodo wrote:
Note those four nubs that this unit grabs onto.
You can drill holes in them and SIMPLY bolt the four arms of a 'normal engine stand' to the gearbox case.
That's pretty easy way to do a seldom gearbox job.

It's a harbor freight engine stand, a drill bit and some bolts.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

One of the steps is the final torque of the pinion bearing retainer nut. I made a tool out of 90 degree steel angle scrap. It bolts to the bottom of the differential case and clamps to the bench top. It hold the case secure while you torque it. Has to happen quickly before the case cools. It might be hard to torque it on a rolling engine stand.

There is an assembly step on the syncro a stand would be helpful. I think it might have been the rear cover. You need gravity to hold something like a shim or bearing while you install the cover.

I purchased the diff bearing support tool and the pinion bearing large race nut tool. I also purchased the fixture tool that holds the pinion while you torque the nut that secures the pinion bearings to the pinion shaft.

For ease of setup. It massaged another set of pinion bearings so they slip onto the pinion shaft and into the case. It took 5 or 6 swings to get the pinion depth correct.

There is a tool you bolt across the differential case for setting differential bearing preload and back lash. It takes the place of the bellhousing. It keeps the case from spreading so you get correct and repeatable readings. You’ll need some pinion marking paste and a dial indicator. An inch pound torque wrench to name a few tools.

Well worth the investment.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

The trans I want to rebuild is a spare unit that's been sitting in my basement for a few years. I will ship out the "rebuilt" spare to the storage facility in New Mexico where my van is (hopefully by summer).

I just checked - the 2 tabs on the left (passenger side) are already drilled - cool

Thanks for the tool info Mark Cool
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

This is in reference to my trans failure in New Mexico

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=41

Missed that NM part in your other topic....If any local help is helpful, get in touch anytime....you coulda stored it in my backyard.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind offer Vanis Smile

Hey old_man, I see you've got a TW. I'm building up an '87 with an XT225 6 speed. Gonna need to back burner it now due to my trans issue

https://www.tw200forum.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=au...00579/full
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Thanks for the kind offer Vanis Smile

Hey old_man, I see you've got a TW. I'm building up an '87 with an XT225 6 speed. Gonna need to back burner it now due to my trans issue

I had an engine out of a 225 once, I too put it into something fun.

As for the transmission stand, I did everything on that stand except tighten the pinion nut. I did that on the floor if I remember correctly. My only advice is take lots of picture of not only 'before' but also the rebuild process. That way when you find tha extra retaining clip at the end of the rebuild you won't be left guessing if you installed one.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all the input. I'm going to get this transaxle outside for a thorough cleaning, and drill the tabs for my engine stand. I've already reached out to GT Gears to get some parts moving this way. I will be getting his slider hub, and plan to get his 0.925 4th gear to replace the factory 0.85.

Driving in 3rd at 60 MPH @4400 RPM for 2+ hours I realized that the OEM 4th is just too tall with my 29" tires. I'm not sure what cam is in this mystery 2.2 wbx I picked up a few years ago, but the engine really wakes up at that rpm.

I will take lots of photos and start a thread on it.

Cheers,
Tracey
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
and drill the tabs for my engine stand.

when I did that, I was shocked what a big pile of aluminum I has after drilling those holes.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
tjet wrote:

when I did that, I was shocked what a big pile of aluminum I has after drilling those holes.

Aluminum? That would be kinda lucky, but feasible. Or unlucky, that a new aluminum gearbox already needed a rebuild.

But (little) piles of magnesium chips are fun.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
tjet wrote:

Aluminum? That would be kinda lucky, but feasible. Or unlucky, that a new aluminum gearbox already needed a rebuild.

If I would have known that, would have saved them as fire starter!...so the gearbox makes not changing fuel lines even a more spectacular show?

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Aluminum?

I picked up an Aluminum 091/1 Case very cheap about a year ago with a mix of new & used bearings, OE magnesium gear carrier, complete 3rd gear set (122) and only the splined gear of a 1:1 ratio 4th gear set. The guy had it listed on FB. My brother lived nearby and grabbed the deal for me. $100 for everything was the price and actually included more than he had listed in the ad.

Back in the day, we ground out the bell housing of the old swing axle bug transmissions to accept the larger 12 volt flywheel. The magnesium filings were quite flammable and fun. Very Happy Very Happy
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

The drilling of the tabs for an engine stand worked out perfect. I have it in my basement.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle stand Reply with quote

It has surrendered!

What is that just behind the starter? (above).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: