Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line solutions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbug64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Fuel line solutions Reply with quote

Hey guys. I’m slowly trying to gather some parts in hope that I might get my 1954 on the road this summer. The fuel line that runs down the spine is gone. Just curious what solutions people have come up with to replace or bypass this. Can anyone share the size of the metal line as well as the flexible fuel lines?

1954 Standard Beetle
1965 Firetruck Red Double Cab
1975 Porsche 911
1984 Rabbit L
1988 Scirocco 16v
Random Toyota daily drivers because winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line solutions Reply with quote

There are a few threads on replacing it, I read through them all and thought about it for a while before jumping into it. Best done with the front tunnel panel off, pedals removed, shifter out, shift rod and coupling out, and find some way to get light into the tunnel. I used 1/4" copper nickel line, as it bends well without kinking. Takes patience to make it happen, but it's doable. I think the factory line is clipped in 4-5 spots, I managed to get under the factory clip thats below the shifter, and then used some bailing wire to secure it elsewhere. Hardest part was making the end to come up and out in front, leave the tube long in case you kink it, so you can pull more forward. I went back to front, and used some fiberglass electricians fish poles to help guide things. Closest thing to building a ship in a bottle that I've ever done.
SD
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line solutions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287328
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: