Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finding your old VW
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GergDramis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

Is there a forum or a different site where one can search for a previously owned VW?
I have the original vin plate that I would like to reunite with my old bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

Welcome!

Depends on if the bus was pre 68, there's this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=460826&highlight=plate
If it was 68-79 I'm not aware of a similar topic.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

You are in Maine. Contact some of the other Maine members like Randy In Maine and see if they know how long the DMV there keeps VIN numbers of it they know a bus that matches the description. Lots of states drop them after 10 years unregistered unless stolen. A really large number of nice buses found their way back to European buyers, so there will be a chance it isn't even here anymore. I had a mint 1971 I sold in 1984 that I always wondered about. I tracked the guy down whom I sold it to, as I remembered his name and occupation. He sold it about 1989 to the next guy and 3 weeks later a truck hit it while parked and demolished it. So just remember, it may have a happy or unhappy ending. And those things like doors and rooms that looked shiny and new when younger may seem cramped in size and dingy now. Or maybe a happy ending will happen.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
You are in Maine. Contact some of the other Maine members like Randy In Maine and see if they know how long the DMV there keeps VIN numbers of it they know a bus that matches the description. Lots of states drop them after 10 years unregistered unless stolen.

Doesn't matter how long they keep their records for, it would be a violation of the Federal DPPA to give that information out to anyone except the last titled owner.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

The best thing to do is to post a Forum topic in the appropriate section stating the VIN # and see if anyone owns it.

This will allow the VIN # to be found via Google as well, if someone goes searching the VIN #.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
You are in Maine. Contact some of the other Maine members like Randy In Maine and see if they know how long the DMV there keeps VIN numbers of it they know a bus that matches the description. Lots of states drop them after 10 years unregistered unless stolen. A really large number of nice buses found their way back to European buyers, so there will be a chance it isn't even here anymore. I had a mint 1971 I sold in 1984 that I always wondered about. I tracked the guy down whom I sold it to, as I remembered his name and occupation. He sold it about 1989 to the next guy and 3 weeks later a truck hit it while parked and demolished it. So just remember, it may have a happy or unhappy ending. And those things like doors and rooms that looked shiny and new when younger may seem cramped in size and dingy now. Or maybe a happy ending will happen.
'

I've been told one of my Buses is in the UK (well another is in the UK as well but it's pretty distinctive and was found via being tagged on facebook) and I asked someone there if there was a way to see if it was registered there. He told me I would need to know the license plate number. Of course I don't because I'm not even 100% sure it's in the UK.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
SGKent wrote:
You are in Maine. Contact some of the other Maine members like Randy In Maine and see if they know how long the DMV there keeps VIN numbers of it they know a bus that matches the description. Lots of states drop them after 10 years unregistered unless stolen.

Doesn't matter how long they keep their records for, it would be a violation of the Federal DPPA to give that information out to anyone except the last titled owner.

somewhat different but any vehicle here from 1976 to today requires smog. Anyone can punch in a VIN or plate on the state lookup system of a 1976 - today car and the online site will tell you the smog history of that VIN if it is in California. The state here cannot release names and addresses by license plate without an approved legal reason. Car Fax $ can tell you sometimes a little history on the car if the VIN exists in its system. Often it will even tell you the dealers who reported servicing the car by VIN.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Car Fax $ can tell you sometimes a little history on the car if the VIN exists in its system. Often it will even tell you the dealers who reported servicing the car by VIN.

There are some dealers who might not be able to do that anymore as our VIN's can be too old for their operating systems - in my case, when the kid was working at a local Subaru dealership, he would bring the bus in from time to time to work on her (little things like new tires etc) if things were slow in the service dept - they couldn't enter her VIN as it was too short, and they didn't have a work around to get the system to recognize her, so under the radar she went.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding your old VW Reply with quote

CarFax is just an internet scam. They can only tell you what somebody else has told them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: