Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting Back to Fuel Injection
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

I bought my '76 standard beetle a few years ago. One of the previous owners had converted it to a carburetor and I've been driving it that way. I've collected two complete sets of fuel injection parts over the last couple of years and was intending to do the conversion myself, but never had the time. It's now time for an engine rebuild, which I'm having my mechanic do. He's familiar with the FI system and is going to convert it back for me. I've owned two previous '76 beetles before, one of which I bought brand new from the dealer, and loved the way they ran and drove. I'm looking forward to having the car back to original.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

I had an aircooled vanagon with the same basic FI system and, once it was sorted out, I loved it. It started right up in the deep of winter, with a healthy idle under any circumstances cold or hot, throttle response was crisp (for the dog it was), etc., etc.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Most mechanics today are the #1 enemy of the Bosch L-Jet system. The P.O. of my Beetle took it to a highly regarded Fuel Injection mechanic in this area. Highly regarded and very expensive for older cars of all types: BMW, Jaguar, Porsche etc. That mechanic butchered the FI in my car.

Here’s my best advice: make sure your mechanic intends to install the L-Jet system in stock configuration. Install all of it. The only exception to this rule is the EGR (most here will agree).
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

When that injection system is performing as designed, it is the smoothest running one I know of! There is always a slight hesitation on a hard launch, off the line. But in normal driving, that flat spot does not show itself.

The best part is the lack of tuning! No more dicking around with a carburetor twisting screws! No more resetting a choke or checking the accelerator pump stream. It is all being controlled. Makes for some straight forward easy driving. Best running Bug I have driven was that 77 I refurbished. Wish that I was able to have kept it.

Have fun in it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
Most mechanics today are the #1 enemy of the Bosch L-Jet system. The P.O. of my Beetle took it to a highly regarded Fuel Injection mechanic in this area. Highly regarded and very expensive for older cars of all types: BMW, Jaguar, Porsche etc. That mechanic butchered the FI in my car.

Here’s my best advice: make sure your mechanic intends to install the L-Jet system in stock configuration. Install all of it. The only exception to this rule is the EGR (most here will agree).

We're installing the correct L-Jetronic system and the engine will go back to 100% factory stock. I have supplied him with two complete original late Beetle FI systems that I purchased on The Samba from folks that went the other way.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Would be a nice extra if you could get your mechanic to document his build back to FI!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Question: have you sourced a gasket kit for the FI system? I thought most of the FI gaskets are not available anymore.

I'd love to rebuild my '75 fi bug engine, but I'm worried about getting it back together with a lack of the gaskets. As others have said, it's such a smooth running engine. So I might do nothing but enjoy it as is.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Question: have you sourced a gasket kit for the FI system? I thought most of the FI gaskets are not available anymore.

I'd love to rebuild my '75 fi bug engine, but I'm worried about getting it back together with a lack of the gaskets. As others have said, it's such a smooth running engine. So I might do nothing but enjoy it as is.
There aren't many that are too FI specific and can be easily reproduced. The only place I've ever found the plenum gasket is BugCity in CT. He has other gaskets too...sometimes he's not cheap though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
When that injection system is performing as designed, it is the smoothest running one I know of! There is always a slight hesitation on a hard launch, off the line. But in normal driving, that flat spot does not show itself.

The best part is the lack of tuning! No more dicking around with a carburetor twisting screws! No more resetting a choke or checking the accelerator pump stream. It is all being controlled. Makes for some straight forward easy driving. Best running Bug I have driven was that 77 I refurbished. Wish that I was able to have kept it.

Have fun in it!
VW Jimbo, and 61 Bus I totally agree. When sorted it is THE best system. I love my '75. As far as that slight hesitation, I made a small mod to my distributor. I originally did it to clean up the idle with my 2280 cam. (excellent with the FI) A side benefit seems to be the elimination of that hesitation, or flat spot. The way it is now I run 10 degrees at idle and a max of 32. I believe it's the cam that allows me to run up to 32 with no detonation.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Have fun in it!
VW Jimbo, and 61 Bus I totally agree. When sorted it is THE best system. I love my '75. As far as that slight hesitation, I made a small mod to my distributor. I originally did it to clean up the idle with my 2280 cam. (excellent with the FI) A side benefit seems to be the elimination of that hesitation, or flat spot. The way it is now I run 10 degrees at idle and a max of 32. I believe it's the cam that allows me to run up to 32 with no detonation.

Sounds like a great bandaid! The issue is the long intake tubes. As it was taught to me. The rush of air takes a few seconds to travel to fill the cylinders on the very onset, from the AFM. Not a big deal, but enough of one to cause that slight hesitation. It is one of many things that makes these cars so fun!

Let me know how the cam reacts. Every cam that was tried, high lighted that flat spot. I am not sure why. Really wishing I had become a mechanical engineer! Damn it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:

For the gaskets that are no longer available, my mechanic was able to reproduce the necessary gaskets in the shop by cutting gasket stock to the correct profile.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Hi 61 Bus - I’d like to suggest you take a few pictures of the engine compartment now and as the work progresses. You can post them here for comments.
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

The engine has been out of the car as it's being rebuilt, and that's almost done. Once it's installed, I'll post some pictures.
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Just drove the car back home today with the (original to the car) engine rebuilt. It's back to fuel injection!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

If I were you I would get those wires near the belt tied down. If you don't they will get wrapped around the alternator or crankshaft pulley.

Another route to go is to install the Mexican Beetle fuel injection. The only thing in the manifold is air. The fuel is injected at the intake valve. Modern fuel injection systems have dry intake manifolds (no fuel and air mixture).

I am working on a system adapting the Ford EEC-IV sequential fuel injection to my 1972 Super. I may have to use a chip to change the Ford firing order to that of the VW.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

61 BUS wrote:
Just drove the car back home today with the (original to the car) engine rebuilt. It's back to fuel injection!

Slick! Cool You won't be sorry.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

DesignBuild wrote:
If I were you I would get those wires near the belt tied down. If you don't they will get wrapped around the alternator or crankshaft pulley.

Another route to go is to install the Mexican Beetle fuel injection. The only thing in the manifold is air. The fuel is injected at the intake valve. Modern fuel injection systems have dry intake manifolds (no fuel and air mixture).

I am working on a system adapting the Ford EEC-IV sequential fuel injection to my 1972 Super. I may have to use a chip to change the Ford firing order to that of the VW.

Those wires are usually pretty stiff, and not really long enough to get under the belt, you have to try pretty hard to F them up.

And L-jet's injectors are at the ports, the only time there's fuel in the manifold is during cold starts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Is this the same system that was used in the early American Rabbits where there is continuous injection?

What were some folks referring to when they were talking about hesitation?
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Glad that you are happy with your once again fuel injected bug !
But that engine compartment is the stuff of nightmares ! Very Happy Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Back to Fuel Injection Reply with quote

DesignBuild wrote:
Is this the same system that was used in the early American Rabbits where there is continuous injection?

No, the Rabbit CIS is basically K-jet, apples and oranges compared to L-jet. Injection pulse length is determined by air flow, RPM and temperature, vacuum levels manipulate fuel pressure to richen or lean with load variations. It's batch fire so each cylinder gets 1/2 of what it needs onto the intake valve each revolution, two revs make a cycle.

It's dirt simple and almost bulletproof, most issues result from vacuum leaks or old corroded wire terminals, or dumbshit mechanics who think it's witchcraft and don't make an effort to understand it. Once you open up your mind and realise how it thinks it's easier to adjust than a carb.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: