Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just_Shep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag? Reply with quote

I have a set of 4880's and a set of 4875's (Not completely sure of the difference) lying around and was curious if anyone has used them in the rear to help with the sag. I image the ride may be a little more stiff.

I wanted to check here before I got new line kits for them. Smile
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag? Reply with quote

Do a search on this topic in this forum. Lots of information on the subject. The consensus seems to be that air shocks really can't raise the rear much because of the way the suspension is. You can get an inch or so which might cure your sag but the harshness of the ride will be a big negative.

To go back to stock height maybe some new stock type shocks would be the answer.

Many will say to "re-index your rear suspension" and they say it is easy. I don't know one way or another.

Anyhow, do the search and read for yourself. Hope this helps.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag? Reply with quote

Just fix it properly.
Re-index your torsion bars, and while you're at it, replace the four rubber bushings.

The Thing Shop reprint of the workshop manual (their edit) calls for a 27º ±30' angle between the spring plate (at rest and off of its perch) and the door sill.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag? Reply with quote

I am doing my rear torsion angle this week.

I have 21.5 now which I believe is stock for a Beetle. (I have a Thing)

I think a Thing is 23, and (your) handwritten note in your Bentley Manual was 27 from a previous posting.

I saw the post from the guy with the Red Thing and he set it to 27 but in my view his rear looks too high!

Any comments? I believe I searched all posts
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag? Reply with quote

That hand written note was not done by me.
It must have been done by Larry, or whoever was humping the Xerox machine at the Thing Shop when they made those manual re-prints. I have seen several copies of the Thing Shop re-printed manual, and each of them has the same edit, and in the same scrawl.

My '74 Thing (now totaled and gone), along with my (replacement) '73 were both set at a "target" of 27º; per the edited Thing Shop manual. Both cars sat level after the adjustment process, but I believe the actual final angle depends on how worn the torsion bars are, and every car is different.

Everybody hopes to hit the desired ride height on the first try, but it seldom happens. Whether it's side-to-side, of front-to-back some minor re-adjustment will probably be needed, and will be different on every car.

This job can be a pain in the neck, but it's not hard work, just time consuming. Anyway once it's done, it's good for many years.
And, it's the right way to fix it.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag? Reply with quote

I found that just replacing the worn torsion bar bushings leveled mine up nicely without changing the spline settings at all.

Having said that I installed Monroe air shocks in the rear and the front. The rear was originally for trailer towing, the front is just because I gotta mess with stuff. I don't remember the model number of the rears, 4880 almost sounds familiar, fronts are MA810.

At 5 psi, all the way down:

At 40 psi, where I tend to leave it:

At 70 psi:

Compare:

If you do it you'll have to move the lower bolt back a little in the rear because the shocks are a little too big around.

For the fronts I had to add my own steel eyelet sleeves.

You would think that it would make the ride stiff but it doesn't. I found just the opposite, it gives a more floating ride which I like. I believe it's simply lifting the car off the springs and riding on the air instead.
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag? Reply with quote

Thanks!

KAmes what was your angle on the new (and old) torsion bar since you didnt change the notch location?

I replaced my torsion bars 12 years ago with ones from the Thing shop and the angle now is 21 degrees, so I am wondering if going to 27 might be too high. I set it to 25 yesterday but have the body off (so I wont be able to tell the ride height till done with the restoration).
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Monroe Air Shocks to help with rear sag? Reply with quote

jehlan wrote:
Thanks!

KAmes what was your angle on the new (and old) torsion bar since you didnt change the notch location?

I replaced my torsion bars 12 years ago with ones from the Thing shop and the angle now is 21 degrees, so I am wondering if going to 27 might be too high. I set it to 25 yesterday but have the body off (so I wont be able to tell the ride height till done with the restoration).

I measured approximately 22 degrees, but that was measured to gravity not the body of the car. The car likely wasn't level but it's probably in the ballpark. 25 degrees might be a good first try, I know one spline seems to make a lot of difference. I was just putting mine back to where it was. I put it back to the same spline, but it seems the new bushings didn't settle down under weight as much, a pleasant surprise.

Edit: The angle didn't change before and after, I drew a line on it and put it back exactly. I know it was the same spline because one spline change moved it way off my mark.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: