Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

Evening Gents.

About 4 years (and a disappointing 20,000 miles ago), I replaced my stock steering box with an aftermarket one, out of Brazil I believe.

FWIW I think it was this one https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/211415049h-steering-box-for-left-hand-drive.html

it leaked immediately and has continued to do so ever since, but I've been topping it up on the side of the European and North African roads frequently.

Anyways, it is now lumpy and I'm unable to adjust the slack out of the box (currently 4"+) without making the lumps / drag worse.

4" is the best I can get without it feeling too tight.

I'm not confident about rebuilding the steering box myself, so I'm intending to purchase another replacement box (crazy money here in the UK BTW) for my next pit stop, but in the meantime, is there any danger in this drag/resistance/lumps? What would you do?
I've got about 3000 miles before I am back home and hoping this isn't the box's (and my) death dance.

Thanks & Happy New Year amigos.

Ben
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife

Last edited by HastaAlaska on Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? Reply with quote

there is a very detailed thread in the type 3 forum about steering box rebuilding, you might find some relevant info there if there isn't a thread in the bay FAQ's.
the consensus is using John Deer Corn head grease, or Super lube synthetic grease to fill the steering box.
I have used the Super Lube for a couple decades on all sorts of things, I've got no complaints on their products.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

the lumps you're feeling is probably the bearing race, or balls pitting

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? Reply with quote

there should only be extremely lite drag thru center. Check it with it disconnected from the drag link.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? Reply with quote

Lumpy steering isn't a problem, until it is...

It may go for years like that, or suddenly seize up solid in traffic, or on the next twisty mountain road at speed next week, are you a gambler?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
there is a very detailed thread in the type 3 forum about steering box rebuilding, you might find some relevant info there if there isn't a thread in the bay FAQ's.

Thanks for the link and pic, good to know what is likely the issue.

SGKent wrote:
there should only be extremely lite drag thru the center. Check it with it disconnected from the drag link.

yeah, there is drag in more than just the center, it's not confined to one location either and almost feels random. - good shout on trying with the drag link disconnected,.

busdaddy wrote:
Lumpy steering isn't a problem, until it is...

It may go for years like that, or suddenly seize up solid in traffic, or on the next twisty mountain road at speed next week, are you a gambler?

I thought this might be the consensus. Wink I'll fish out my old box and see if it is in acceptable condition for a core.

Thanks for the replies guys
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? Reply with quote

We made it as far as northern Spain, (750 miles) but unfortunately, the sh!t has hit the fan! and we're fairly remote Anxious

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The steering play is now 1/4 of the wheel!

I found nuts (A) were all loose, not sure how, when, or why. To be honest, these are not nuts that I ever check or touch. They were painted like that when the box was new in 2019 and I thought it best not to touch them.

The adjustment nut (B) was loose too, but I think that is because the whole adjustment nut has stripped its thread and has backed out, causing the major excessive play. (you can just see this in the photo)

SO.....I clearly need a new steering box right away and I'm working on sourcing that.... in the meantime, so I can go and get supplies, please could I have your thoughts on the following?

1) How bad is it? - If the adjustment bolt backs all the way out, is there any danger of the steering completely failing? I can amble to the shop to get food and water with 1/4 wheel play on these Spanish dusty track roads...but will it get worse?

2) Can it be patched? - As this steering box is going to be replaced, can I tap a different thread and bolt into that hole to reduce the current play?

Any other suggestion is welcome. I've got a few days of food and water, but only a spotty internet connection to see your replies, which I will be eagerly waiting for on top of a dusty (and very windy) Spanish hill

muchos gracias amigos Laughing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

how would anyone here know how to advise you on something like that which they cannot touch, feel, or see? When you say something in the steering box is stripped, what else can possibly go wrong - cause you to turn left off a 1500' cliff? Tighten the bolts, drive 15 miles an hour to someplace where you can have a new box shipped to you, and order one. VW Heritage in the UK, Serial-Kombi in France, or maybe Paruzzi in the Netherlands might have something and ship to Spain. Or find a late bay donor locally to pull one out of.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

If it got so bound up it pushed the adjuster stud out I can't suggest anything remotely safe to even bodge it for a short drive, too much danger for me to even speculate (and I'm the king of creative bush fixes).
As Steve suggests a replacement is the only option at this point.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
2) Can it be patched? -

Of course it can! Maybe 2 or 3 times, with storyline utubes documenting each time! Maybe you'll meet some cute gals who'll help you patch it, even a different set of gals each time the successive roadside repairs fail. Hopefully nobody will die from veering off the road or into oncoming traffic when the patch doesn't do the trick.

(srsly, get a new steering box. A decent used original one will be better than the TRW unit IMO. If you pay the shipping we we will donate a decent used box. It won't be cheap to ship such a heavy thing from Toronto to wherever you are but happy to facilitate, feel free to send me a PM)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

Snore………
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

steve at wolfgang international in redding, ca sells rebuilt original boxes. i’ve been happy with mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

You could contact this fellow, he's in France. Rebuilding Bus steering boxes.

https://www.instagram.com/renatodelacale/
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

I've had an early version fail while behind the wheel. I'm very very lucky to still be here. I had been having "lump" issues for a short while, tried "adjusting it" 2X in 20 miles and it broke while I was going 40mph. It failed in the straight position, steering wheel moved, wheels did not. Get a tow to a campground, order a new box, beg for money, you know the drill.

I'm glad you are just dicking around Europe, you had zero chance of going around the world in a Bus. Even a wicked resourceful owner/mechanic could not pull that off anymore. Times have changed and those days are over.

Fill replacement Box with Super Lube, it resists emulsification with water and is far superior to older lubricants.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your input. We’re certainly on the same page and we will source a new steering box right away.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if we could do the box replacement ourselves with standard tools, in the boondocks? I have a pretty large tool box here but the pullers don’t travel with me, so are there any workarounds?

We’re currently parked up in a north Spain desert, up on blocks near the town of Chodes. it’s already -4C (25F) at 9pm so not ideal conditions, we’ve got a petrol heater but currently on the Empty mark (no gas station in town but we will m be using it sparingly. Spirits remain amazingly high as we’re in a great place and have made a good local contact (via an Irish guy called Frank who stopped by when I was under the bus, and within 3 minutes had lent us his car to go to the shop for food)

If there is no way to do the job ourselves there will be mechanics a couple of towns over.

Thanks for your input, it’s appreciated.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
I have a pretty large tool box here but the pullers don’t travel with me, so are there any workarounds?

Removing the drop arm from the steering box is tricky without a substantial puller. It's VERY tight normally. Similarly the drag link from the drop arm normally uses a puller and might stop you in your tracks (that one *might* be separated without a puller - a large hammer & some heat could do it)

The rest of the job is proably doable.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

the only suggestion I have is I think you have a later bay. If so see if there are any in wrecking yards around. If so then pull the steering gear out of it and leave the drop arm on, assuming it is left hand drive like yours. If it is right hand drive then the drop arm gets flipped over. As Scott said, it takes a pretty big puller to pull the drop arm off.
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

See it on the + side as this ads a whole lot of drama in your upcomming series😉
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

on the other hand, if you find a mechanic, he’s likely to pull it off with no problem. my mechanic, who does 4-wheel drive suspension work on trucks, etc, looked at my front end, and said “what a cute little drag link.”
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
on the other hand, if you find a mechanic, he’s likely to pull it off with no problem. my mechanic, who does 4-wheel drive suspension work on trucks, etc, looked at my front end, and said “what a cute little drag link.”
Tom was that before he took the oxy torch to it?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Lumpy...but is it dangerous? [...it is now!] Reply with quote

Propane torch to warm everything up, 3lb short sledge hammer, pickle fork or modified prybar ( hell I've used a tire iron before). It will go, keep nuts in place to avoid hurting threads.

The correct pitman arm puller is a bit of a specialized tool not necessarily found in a Spanish shop working on SEAT and Renaults.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: