Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No computer car for me.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217561660
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopefully, the folks on capital hill make it beneficial to all.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Even cars with central locking have knobs to unlock the doors when the power fails.

I think even a 73 year old could overpower the locking solenoid mechanism to free herself.

It's unfortunate she didn't think of that.

This would be an issue with non-computerized central locking too, if it shorts.

Sudden unintended acceleration falls in the same category.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Even cars with central locking have knobs to unlock the doors when the power fails.

I think even a 73 year old could overpower the locking solenoid mechanism to free herself.

It's unfortunate she didn't think of that.

This would be an issue with non-computerized central locking too, if it shorts.

Sudden unintended acceleration falls in the same category.

meh...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/201.../71053474/

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Granted drivers of Dodges and Vettes should be banned.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

so nobody had a car jack, tyre iron or even a rock to put a window in?

maybe worth investing in a window breaker/seat belt cutter tool Think

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...

Last edited by finster on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Granted drivers of Dodges and Vettes should be banned.

I resemble that remark! Mopars have always had a history of electrical problems. As far as Vettes, I'm a Sting Ray guy only. The later ones are not real.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Mopars have always had a history of electrical problems.

Weird, news to me. I call bullshit, no more problems than any other make. I've owned about thirty MoPars between the model years 1929-2008 and never any electrical issues. Did you read this on the dark web? Or maybe a friend's uncle's brother had a shitty Volare?

As for "no computer car for me"? I guess you better not buy anything newer than something from the late seventies.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

I've had about a dozen Mopars myself (1964-2017) and the only issues I ever had were electrical related. I currently have a 2017 Grand Caravan and electrically it has a mind of its own. The rear hatch and passenger side door work when they feel like it. Would I buy another? Probably as long as it wasn't an EV. I consider electrical issues to be minor. If I had major mechanical problems I would not buy again.

P.S. Why don't you go after the guy who launched the attack in the first place? I rolled with it. Take it easy. Deep breaths.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Deep breaths, yes, it's all good. Sorry, dyed in the wool MoParite. I grew up with GM and Ford kids so I'm naturally a little defensive.

I have been working in a Chrysler parts dept. since '91 and have seen a lot of shit. I have seen some electrical issues but mostly radios, I heard GM's radios suck too.

Any electrical issues as of late seem to be software needing to be updated. More drivetrain issues with Jeeps and Rams.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

My 76 bus has a computer.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Try growing up as a Rambler guy like me and I say Rambler with much affection. They were typically categorized as making cars for old guys like I am now. I've had a few of those over the years and no major problems electrical or otherwise. '68 & '73 AMXs were among those. They were quick, especially the '68. I always felt that AMC used the best of everything. They had their own "Weather Eye" heating system, their own engines, a Motorola charging system, Delco window distributor, Ford starter with firewall mounted solenoid, Borg Warner manual transmissions, Mopar Torqueflite & Borg Warner automatics, and their own & Dana rear ends.

Last edited by Bonesberg55 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Try growing up as a Rambler guy like me and I say Rambler with much affection. They were typically categorized as making cars for old guys like I am now. I've had a few of those over the years and no major problems electrical or otherwise. '68 & '73 AMXs were among those. They were quick, especially the '68. I always felt that AMC used the best of everything. They had their own "Weather Eye" heating system, their own engines, a Motorola electrical system, Delco window distributor, Ford starter with firewall mounted solenoid, Borg Warner manual transmissions, Mopar Torqueflite & Borg Warner automatics, and their own & Dana rear ends.

Yeah, but that Trunion front suspension.....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Seriously, if I were looking to replace my Bug I would only consider replacing it with another non-computerized restored vehicle. Being unexpectedly trapped inside and then burnt alive by a car should not be part of a list of things that cars can do.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it looks like my Bugs will last me until they take away my keys or I croke. Still, I wouldn't want to be expected at 73+ (and maybe a little overweight or handicapped) to try and bust my way out of a side window and get myself out of a burning vehicle in a timely way.

Like kids today having to worry about being killed at school, being trapped inside a car and being burnt alive for no apparent reason shouldn't be part of a driving experience.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

I have owned 3 Dodge Caravans and one pickup. They all have electrical issues. the last Caravan was so bad that it could not be driven and the dealer could not fix it so after dumping a boat load of money into it I ended up giving it to the local fire department to practice cutting up with the jaws of life!

No more Dodges for me - ever!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

My wife had a Nissan Murano - what a pleasure it was to drive that car - until one day, it got hit by lightning. No one was in the car. That car was never the same even after all the electrical work done to it so we got rid of it.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have owned 3 Dodge Caravans and one pickup. They all have electrical issues. the last Caravan was so bad that it could not be driven and the dealer could not fix it so after dumping a boat load of money into it I ended up giving it to the local fire department to practice cutting up with the jaws of life!

No more Dodges for me - ever!

Our current Caravan is a 2017. Its our second. We had a 1989 years ago and that had zero problems but it did not have the electrical add-ons that the 2017 has. With Mopar avoid the electrics as much as possible and you'll go forever. Very reliable drivetrains.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

ahhh, the joy of software updates... Rolling Eyes
https://www.thedrive.com/news/bmw-owner-discovers-...gIqHCNfkbU

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Technically, not a "computer" in the modern sense, since it's analog with no software. Bosch called it an ECU, but VW was a little sloppier in their ads.

My dad handed down the dictionary he used in business to me when I started my career in 1979.

I had a reason to look up "computer" and it stated "A person who computes." So I checked the publishing date.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: No computer car for me. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Technically, not a "computer" in the modern sense, since it's analog with no software. Bosch called it an ECU, but VW was a little sloppier in their ads.

My dad handed down the dictionary he used in business to me when I started my career in 1979.

I had a reason to look up "computer" and it stated "A person who computes." So I checked the publishing date.

So Phil, are you saying it doesn’t compute any information? It’s just guessing?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: