Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temp sensor location poll
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where are you putting your temp sensor
Oil relief plug
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Drain plug
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
oil pressure idiot light hole
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
external cooler
28%
 28%  [ 11 ]
type 3 block off
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 38

Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

We all know people have different opinions on the location of temp sensor.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Remote oil filter mount.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

I like it, the only thing you're not seeing is any heat lost through the hose journey from the pump to the filter mount-I'd imagine pretty minimal.

I tend to use that exact location for oil pressure, since the lack of engine vibration makes those occasionally pesky VDO senders much more reliable. Haven't killed one since!
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

None of the above. Mine is an RTD in the dipstick tube. I carry the dipstick on my key ring. My second choice would be the type 3 block off plate. The drain plug is too vulnerable to road damage in my view as is the relief plunger hole (wiring damage in this case). The oil cooler location is not where you will find the peak temperature. The stock oil pressure switch location is completely useless unless you tube in a bypass back to the sump to get some flow past the temp probe.

Last edited by oprn on Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Oil filter housing, here's my way of doing it with a dual in/out filter mount. This also gets you a pressure sender port too-

No drilling or tapping required, all bolts together.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Ya all good options I think since my vehicle in question is a buggy and Im using a maxipump 2 to keep rear clean and simplified I have to make some compromises. Definitely not a fan of drain plug at all, all options have pros and cons it seems some more then others.

think my cleanest choices are t on idiot light or oil relief I know they suck but better then nothing I suppose
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

The idiot light hole will only tell you the temperature of the engine crankcase not the oil. Same could be said for the pressure relief location. You need flow past the temp sender for the reading to be legitimate. Both those locations are dead ends.

If you do the tee in the oil pressure sender hole you need this bypass line.

Here is the tee and temp sender.

And here is where is dumps into the crankcase.

Anything less than this and the results will be totally deceiving! As you can see by the engine serial number, this is how VW set them up on the industrial engines.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The idiot light hole will only tell you the temperature of the engine crankcase not the oil. Same could be said for the pressure relief location. You need flow past the temp sender for the reading to be legitimate. Both those locations are dead ends.

Anything less than this and the results will be totally deceiving! As you can see by the engine serial number, this is how VW set them up on the industrial engines.

Interesting read many threads and this is first I saw this set up. I like it does someone sell that hose or are you making it?
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

I was going to run a 356 oil distribution block in conjunction with a remote FF filter. Got me thinking now if that would be a good idea or not..

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Dangib wrote:
Ya all good options I think since my vehicle in question is a buggy and Im using a maxipump 2 to keep rear clean and simplified I have to make some compromises. Definitely not a fan of drain plug at all, all options have pros and cons it seems some more then others.

think my cleanest choices are t on idiot light or oil relief I know they suck but better then nothing I suppose

Type 3 blockoff isn't a bad spot if you don't have external lines to tap.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Dangib wrote:

Type 3 blockoff isn't a bad spot if you don't have external lines to tap.

stupid question That's something that needs done during a engine build correct. Cant be done with an assembled motor I'm assuming with shavings
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

If your engine uses the blockoff plate on there you can remove the plate and drill/tap it for the sensor, you'd have to drain the oil first of course. easy peasy.

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

The tip of the sensor needs to be sitting in the flow path of the oil. Having a big adapter, or a tee on there won't be accurate.

I prefer the oil filter adapter.

Brian
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Dangib wrote:
oprn wrote:

Interesting read many threads and this is first I saw this set up. I like it does someone sell that hose or are you making it?

It came on this industrial 1600 SP engine that I rebuilt for my sand rail. I converted it to a doghouse cooler and it is in an 800 pound sand rail that rarely sees over 40 mph so I am not in the least bit concerned with oil temperature and have no plans for a temp gauge.

Those fittings and hose are around here somewhere, I just kept them for a conversation piece. I assumed they were stock by the fit and finish.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

No issues with this setup (except the hoses, changed them for teflon AN hoses)

RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Mine is right on top of the oil filter. Seems to work fine and is accurate
Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

I’ll think right place is the sump for the sensor, it shows you that it cools the oil and put in cooled oil in system. Sure it’s a bit delay but shows the right temp in engine. Maybe have wrong here but my sensor is in the sump and that’s is what goes in the engine is about 60 to 80 degrees depending on how I drive. That’s show me that the oil is cooled down in system Laughing
Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
If your engine uses the blockoff plate on there you can remove the plate and drill/tap it for the sensor, you'd have to drain the oil first of course. easy peasy.

That’s the sump oil temp Very Happy
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Janne71 wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

That’s the sump oil temp Very Happy

Better than measuring the dead zone at the oil idiot light spot Very Happy

VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Mine is at the cooler. Fan switch on the way in and temp sender on the way out.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: