Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temp sensor location poll
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where are you putting your temp sensor
Oil relief plug
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Drain plug
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
oil pressure idiot light hole
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
external cooler
28%
 28%  [ 11 ]
type 3 block off
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 38

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

I am only interested in the temperature of the pool. It will be hotter than after the cooler(s) depending on what you have. In a water cooled vehicle the temperature is usually what the head is at, unless you have a Jag and in that case you may be measuring steam because of where the sender is. The temperature in the head is just before it leaves for the cooling system. In a VW that is the pool before the oil is sucked back up and sent thru the cooling system. So that is where I measure it. If the pool gets too hot it is time to add to the pool size (extended sump) or slow down.

In a late T4 the pool temp is higher than an early dual relief case. The reason is that on a late T4 the oil circulates thru the cooler, the excess dumps back into the pump and thru the cooler again. In a dual relief case the excess is dumped back into the pool.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Ya sadly I don't have type 3 block off and I'm not planning on a external so my 3 bad options are idiot light oil relief or drain plug. what's the least terrible lol

I saw a CSP pic of a billet sump cover and it had the drain plug like recessed up in to protected it from getting crushed but cant find it for sale anywhere.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

I have one inline after the oil coolers ,sorry about the filthy Motor ,but mine is 'driven' Wink Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I am only interested in the temperature of the pool. It will be hotter than after the cooler(s) depending on what you have. In a water cooled vehicle the temperature is usually what the head is at, unless you have a Jag and in that case you may be measuring steam because of where the sender is. The temperature in the head is just before it leaves for the cooling system. In a VW that is the pool before the oil is sucked back up and sent thru the cooling system. So that is where I measure it.

^^^Yes!^^^
The hottest point on the system is correct in my mind too. Actually that would be in the pushrod tubes I think coming back from the heads but that is not a practical place to put a sender at all.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Oil filter housing, here's my way of doing it with a dual in/out filter mount. This also gets you a pressure sender port too-

No drilling or tapping required, all bolts together.

I agree with this, hence why I copied it! Cool
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

I like the idea of two sensors, one very close to the outlet of the pump (sump temp) and one after the cooler right before oil is sent to the mains. I never use an active stock cooler on a performance build. This give more data. You can wire up a toggle switch to select which sensor you want to read. This way you will know if you need more cooler or not.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Type III block off plate mounting.

Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

What about the sender/sensor, i find that the probe that goes into the line is to large, i would think it would reduce flow too much, has anyone found a 1/8"NPT sender with a thin or short probe?

I want to put my sender in the line that goes back into the case/main oil gallery so that i can see the oil temp that the main bearings see. The engine is EFI and i plan on using oil temp as the input for the warm up enrichment. Oh, and it is dry sumped so putting the sender in the oil tank is possible, but i think that it would be too unprecise and slow to react to changes in oil temp there
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Generally the sump is used to get oil temp, as in most other auto and ind. (hydraulics) applications use this also, oil will be hottest just after it leaves the components it just left and cooled, crank, cam, heads. Sump provides a large reservoir with an average temp of all oil, prior to cooling.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Have mine in external filter housing.

richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Last edited by richierich on Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
I like the idea of two sensors, one very close to the outlet of the pump (sump temp) and one after the cooler right before oil is sent to the mains. I never use an active stock cooler on a performance build. This give more data. You can wire up a toggle switch to select which sensor you want to read. This way you will know if you need more cooler or not.
I like this idea too. Out of interest, how much cooler is your oil after cooling? I know, how long is a piece of string, just interested in how efficient "our" oil cooling can be. I'm a very silly person, my sensor is in the return flow from an outboard cooler before it circulates the stock cooler (type-4), so between 2 coolers. Oh dear. In my defence it was one of a zillion things in a complete resto. Embarassed
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
I like this idea too. Out of interest, how much cooler is your oil after cooling? I know, how long is a piece of string, just interested in how efficient "our" oil cooling can be. I'm a very silly person, my sensor is in the return flow from an outboard cooler before it circulates the stock cooler (type-4), so between 2 coolers. Oh dear. In my defence it was one of a zillion things in a complete resto. Embarassed

So far for me it is just an idea so I can't answer you question. I will be doing this on my current build at some point.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

I have two different temp readouts and both of them have dual inputs and can be set to toggle automatically between the two probes.

As far as using the oil temperature as an input for mixture enrichment... my gut feeling is that it may be far too slow. Cylinder head temperature I think would be much quicker and more relevant to the fuel mixture needs of the engine.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

maybe the oil relief location gives "wrong" temperature for the oil, but I'm more worried about the case overheating and warping than the oil itself to be honest. Laughing
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have two different temp readouts and both of them have dual inputs and can be set to toggle automatically between the two probes.

As far as using the oil temperature as an input for mixture enrichment... my gut feeling is that it may be far too slow. Cylinder head temperature I think would be much quicker and more relevant to the fuel mixture needs of the engine.

Yeah, i have the same feeling, especially when having the sensor in the oil tank, especially considering almost 9 liter total oil volume, thats why i was wanting to put the sender somewhere prior to oil gallery or in the return from the sump. The normal thing would be to put it in the coolant return, i dont really know how fast water heats up either though. The startup enrichment turns "off" quite quickly after it has started to see a temp increase, so it is not used for tuning/adjustment while running.

I have CHT as well, so i might use that as input. But i still want accurate oil temp readout.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
maybe the oil relief location gives "wrong" temperature for the oil, but I'm more worried about the case overheating and warping than the oil itself to be honest. Laughing

Well put! Ya it might not be best location but it may suffice and for some be the only option at that time.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:
Oil filter housing, here's my way of doing it with a dual in/out filter mount. This also gets you a pressure sender port too-

No drilling or tapping required, all bolts together.

I agree with this, hence why I copied it! Cool

Here's mine:

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

A few years ago I did mess around with temp sensor location. I tried the sump, pressure relief, and oil filter locations. My recollection is that the sump read consistently higher than the filter mount. Interesting and unexpected was that the filter sensor is much faster to respond. Put a good load on the engine and the gauge would react 10-20 seconds later. With the sump location, any change in temperature took well over a minute to show on the dial.
The relief plug is an awful position. It's behind the piston so it doesn't get any real flow. Might as well just consider it the "average case temp" sensor.
I've kept it in the filter mount.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Temp sensor location poll Reply with quote

esde wrote:

The relief plug is an awful position. It's behind the piston so it doesn't get any real flow. Might as well just consider it the "average case temp" sensor.
I've kept it in the filter mount.

I don't have a remote filter. What's best in this case? The sump plug? Front or rear relieve plugs...? Oil pressure switch?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: