Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who is using wheel adapters? Please post your 1st hand info!
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
riva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Who is using wheel adapters? Please post your 1st hand info! Reply with quote

I did some searching, but my search-foo may be lacking. This is one I saw:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=773364&highlight=offset

Slalombuggy had some interesting input on adapter use in that one, which I greatly appreciate.

I thought it would make a good thread if those with 1st hand experience running wheel adapters would post their setups together in a thread. I'm assuming only high offset wheels would be successfully paired with adapters because of the issues which Slalombuggy mentions above. But who knows.

Hello... is there dapter data in there? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anybody home?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is using wheel adapters? Please post your 1st hand info! Reply with quote

There was a pair of stamped sheet metal wide 5 to Chevy adaptors on my sand rail when I bought it. That was one of the very first things I changed, I did not trust them at all!

There was cast aluminum VW 4 bolt to Chevy adaptors on all 4 wheels that came on my Manx copy. I am not a fan of adaptors of any kind but I must admit that these ones survived for 46 years on that car without failing. While they did not fail they did cause the handling problems outlined in the thread link you posted. I am happy they are not on the front anymore and quite pleased with the difference that made. The rears will be coming off too not because they are causing any issues back there but just to have the same bolt pattern front and rear.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is using wheel adapters? Please post your 1st hand info! Reply with quote

I have been running VW wide 5 to Porsche 5 adapters on the rear of my Micro since 2008 with no issue. They are the thick aluminum style not stamped steel. I also have the drums studded and lug nuts, not lug bolts
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who is using wheel adapters? Please post your 1st hand info! Reply with quote

I've been using 5/8" 5x112 to 5x114.3 adapters on my 76 Westy to run Chrysler rims that I already had. They work well and I haven't had any issues with them over 20,000 miles so far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is using wheel adapters? Please post your 1st hand info! Reply with quote

I just found out recently that wheel spacers and adaptors are not legal in Alberta. I find that interesting because my Buggy passed an inspection with them on as did several others hat I am aware of. Also Porsche used spacers on some of their cars right from the factory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: