Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

Let’s put all the personal attacks aside. If you have a problem with the way someone rubs off on you, send a PM and hash it out privately or message a moderator. We don’t need to hear it here.

Back to the technical stuff…

What is the exact damage to the ring gear teeth you are seeing? I would love to see a picture if you have it. Just wondering what “wear” constitutes in this instance.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Let’s put all the personal attacks aside. If you have a problem with the way someone rubs off on you, send a PM and hash it out privately or message a moderator. We don’t need to hear it here.

Back to the technical stuff…

What is the exact damage to the ring gear teeth you are seeing? I would love to see a picture if you have it. Just wondering what “wear” constitutes in this instance.

You're a fine one to talk! All you've done is attack what I've said. I have supplied the technical stuff. If you choose not to try it, fine. It doesn't matter to me if you try it or not but don't attack what I say because your opinion differs. I'm not trying to convince you. I'm not putting it forth as gospel, just information to be used or not. If it bothers you, just ignore it and go away!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Thanks for the idea, I am going to use in on my wife’s Subaru to see if we can make that worn ring gear last.

It helped on mine quite a bit. Just be sure you use a dry lube and use it sparingly. I had my starter out at the time so it was pretty easy to measure in from the starter mounting face to determine the position for the hole. I gave it about a 1 1/2 second squirt and did it again the next day. I also let the engine run for a few minutes to be sure to sling off any excess. It worked out so well, I'm wondering why I never did it before! Maybe I could have stopped the wear before it became noticeable!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

Not once have I personally attacked you…

Anyways, back to the subject matter.

I get the feeling that this may be a bandaid on a bigger problem. If your flywheel isn’t old, but is showing significant wear, I think it wise to find out why this is happening happening in the first place, because it shouldn’t be an issue. Something else is going on.

So, what exactly is happening to your flywheel?

PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

I will say the only times I've seen this issue has been:

a) A batch of forged flywheels a firm had made with no hardening. They just expected EN19T to be hard enough as it was, little naive.
Teeth wore out on all the flywheels within a year to the point that starters wouldn't engage properly.

b) A couple of installs over the years where the starter was either misaligned on a mounting adaptor plate slighty, or wasn't setup with enough clearance for the gear to engage cleanly when it gets fired out of the starter. You want about double the usual gear clearance for an engaging starter vs a constant mesh.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

I never said that my flywheel ring gear was abnormally worn. I said it was noticeably worn but not broken or worn out. I said the problem with my spinning gears was not wear but a sticky Bendix Helical. My ring gear is worn but not worn out There is no problem or issue!!! Read the posts!

This discussion was about my experiment of using lubrication on the gear teeth, not the condition of my ring gear. And before you go "but why do the ring gear teeth need lube if they're not worn out"? Get real! If they were worn out, no lube would help them! Maybe a little lube will help them from wearing totally out.

This ring gear is old. It's part of an early KEP 1200 hooked up to a 1974 Capri V6 engine. I got it in 1995 after it had been sitting in an abandoned kit car for at least ten years. It was worn but serviceable when I got it. It's still worn but serviceable and I'd like to keep it that way. Hence the lube experiment.

Hey, I get it. New ideas can be frightening, especially if your mind is locked on "the way it's always been". There's people who cross lock their seat belts because they "never wore them before and ain't going to start now".

But don't worry! Unlike a seat belt ticket, there are no repercussions to not trying it. (Except for unnecessary ring gear wear) You don't have too! However, I did try it and it worked for me.

The science behind the super sticky dry gear lubricant is valid. Why not try a new modern lubricant for an old problem. Yeah, it really is a problem and has been since the day it was invented. Look at it from a design engineers point of view.

How to start the engine? A starter with a ring gear was finally accepted as the standard but golly gee whiz it's horrible what's happening to those gears! Let's try some oil! Nope! Just made a mess and attracted crud. Grease! Nope same problems! Oh well! We'll just call the Ring Gear a Consumable like tires or air filters! It'll last as long as the engine...maybe!

I tried a solution to what I saw as a problem. It worked. What is your problem with that????
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

No fear to try new here. But as I said before your wear issues suggest a problem with the flywheel or the starter. You COULD contact Kennedy Engineering to discuss it with them. Some of the employees have been there since before your adapter was made. I drove past the place yesterday.

Wulfthang, you HAVE been attacking people on a personal level:

"My sixty five year old is running great with no lube...why fix it if it ain't broke....I'm an expert on everything because I set the lash on long chains....big bold NEVER'S...etc. etc. "

If you have personal issues with me, take it to PMs as Vanapple said.

And oprn you too have been getting personal.
"Conformity, it’s all about conformity! Don’t rock the boat someone could fall in and discover the water is only 6” deep and we didn’t need the boat after all! "

What's your issue with those who disagree with a need for that fix? It's fine if you agree with Wulfthang's idea. I've not said it should never be tried. You guys act like Vanapple and I are attacking Wulfthang. We are NOT. We just suggest there may be some other problem that he's not looking into.
Why are you guys so touchy? It's as if I told a woman that her lipstick is smeared and it turn out that it's her time of the month. WOW!

Am I a bad guy if I indicate that I have some past experience in the field? or is it better for people to spout off on subjects they know nothing about? Of course we're on the internet here and a large percentage of the "information" slung around is entirely baseless. If you cannot handle suggestions from others, then why post on an internet forum?

Even PhillipM who has had many disagreements with me seems to concur with me and Vanapple on this subject.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
No fear to try new here. But as I said before your wear issues suggest a problem with the flywheel or the starter. You COULD contact Kennedy Engineering to discuss it with them. Some of the employees have been there since before your adapter was made. I drove past the place yesterday.

"My sixty five year old is running great with no lube...why fix it if it ain't broke....I'm an expert on everything because I set the lash on long chains....big bold NEVER'S...etc. etc. "

"Conformity, it’s all about conformity! Don’t rock the boat someone could fall in and discover the water is only 6” deep and we didn’t need the boat after all! "

What's your issue with those who disagree with a need for that fix? It's fine if you agree with Wulfthang's idea. I've not said it should never be tried. You guys act like Vanapple and I are attacking Wulfthang. We are NOT. We just suggest there may be some other problem that he's not looking into.
Why are you guys so touchy? It's as if I told a woman that her lipstick is smeared and it turn out that it's her time of the month. WOW!

Am I a bad guy if I indicate that I have some past experience in the field? or is it better for people to spout off on subjects they know nothing about? Of course we're on the internet here and a large percentage of the "information" slung around is entirely baseless. If you cannot handle suggestions from others, then why post on an internet forum?

Even PhillipM who has had many disagreements with me seems to concur with me and Vanapple on this subject.

What part of there is no problem with my ring gear do you not understand? I stated that it was worn but not worn out! I stated that it still worked fine! I stated that I got it from an old kit car in 1995 and that it's history is unknown. I stated that it was worn then but has been working fine. I stated that my starting problem was not the flywheel, it was a stuck Bendix.

You and vanapplebomb have gotten fixated on a "bad ring gear"! I have repeatedly stated that this was an experiment on lubing the ring gear yet the two of you have done nothing but attack what I have said! The two of you have contributed nothing but negativity to this thread! Just go away if it bothers you that much!

So I'll ask it again:
I tried a solution to what I saw as a problem. It worked. What is your problem with that????
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

This whole post is absurd grease the ring gear if it makes you happy cool. A little cant hurt. But why make a post about it seems pretty silly. You guys might as well be arguing about what color M&M's taste better.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

What part of there is no problem with my ring gear do you not understand? I stated that it was worn but not worn out! I stated that it still worked fine! I stated that I got it from an old kit car in 1995 and that it's history is unknown. I stated that it was worn then but has been working fine. I stated that my starting problem was not the flywheel, it was a stuck Bendix.

You and vanapplebomb have gotten fixated on a "bad ring gear"! I have repeatedly stated that this was an experiment on lubing the ring gear yet the two of you have done nothing but attack what I have said! The two of you have contributed nothing but negativity to this thread! Just go away if it bothers you that much!

So I'll ask it again:

I have NO problem with that other than not seeing the problem you "fixed" as being a problem. Is it NOT OK to disagree? Are you that woke? You COULD have left it at my disagreement instead of attacking Vanapple and me for disagreeing with you. The ENTIRE problem here is that you seem to be trippin' on someone not being in entire agreement with you. And you keep harping on it instead of moving on. So just remember that you and I have had a number of conversations when we agreed. Hell...You have a buggy and I have a couple of buggies. What's the big disagreement. It's not like we're of different nationalities that are at war or anything like that. We have lots in common.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Wulfthang wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

So I'll ask it again:

I have NO problem with that other than not seeing the problem you "fixed" as being a problem. Is it NOT OK to disagree? Are you that woke? You COULD have left it at my disagreement instead of attacking Vanapple and me for disagreeing with you. The ENTIRE problem here is that you seem to be trippin' on someone not being in entire agreement with you. And you keep harping on it instead of moving on. So just remember that you and I have had a number of conversations when we agreed. Hell...You have a buggy and I have a couple of buggies. What's the big disagreement. It's not like we're of different nationalities that are at war or anything like that. We have lots in common.

I have no problem with anybody disagreeing with anything I say but I do have a problem with people who keep trying to twist my statements and/or trying to insult me. Woke? Really? I did not attack you but I did defend the science of dry lubricants.

I continuously pointed out that there is no problem with my flywheel ring gear. I just wanted to discuss using some lube on it and then detail my experiment using it on my own!!!!

Oh well. The experiment is still a success several days and a dozen or starts. Much smoother and much quieter. I will continue to use it at some yet to be determined schedule. However, the attempt to discuss here what I thought was a neat idea was a total failure. So, for the last time: There's nothing wrong with my friggin' flywheel ring gear.....that a little dry lube won't fix!!! Bwahahaha!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
This whole post is absurd grease the ring gear if it makes you happy cool. A little cant hurt. But why make a post about it seems pretty silly. You guys might as well be arguing about what color M&M's taste better.

Read an article where john q public got their panties in a bunch because the green one doesnt wear the thigh high boots anymore.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

Wulfthang, didn’t you just start this thread not long ago?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9989619&highlight=#9989619

…And this is the picture you took of your ring gear?

Wulfthang wrote:
I couldn't get an eyeball on the ring teeth but I took some photo's.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

Ok now I understand... trying to convince everyone thru multiple posts that grease is the genius move on a worn ring gear. You could of had the motor out and fixed the problem Months ago. If you don't get the answer you want the first time try try again. I'm guessing this is a (purchased) build and the ability to complete the repair is the real problem? Why not take detailed pictures of the motor area and we can come up with a plan. Take it one step at a time
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

I never stated that my ring gear was in perfect shape. I stated numerous times that it was worn. I also said numerous times that my car starts just fine. I never said to use grease. This thread was about dry lubrication. No, this car was not a store bought build. I built it in my shop over a years time starting with a partially completed frame. I had the engine and transaxle left over from another project. When I retired and shut my on-the-side firearms business down, I kept my machine shop.

The amount of negativity that has come out over this post is disturbing and the insults continue. "Woke? I'm guessing this is a (purchased) build and the ability to complete the repair is the real problem?" Really?

I spent half my life as a LEO so insults just roll off like water off a Ducks back. However, it does show a distinct lack of intelligence and conversational ability when you have to resort to insults to make your point. Sly innuendo, twisting statements, insults, etc. are all things I'm used to from shyster Defense Attorneys in Court when they have no valid arguments. It's no big deal.

Ok, to recap:
Never use any type of lubricant on your flywheel because it will upset the naysayers!
Don't sail out of sight of land or you'll fall off the Earth.
Humans have never landed on the Moon.
The Covid Vaccine is a good thing and all humans should get it.
Climate change is going to make the Earth uninhabitable by 2010.
Biden is an excellent President. (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth!)
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication for the flywheel ring gear. Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
…take detailed pictures of the motor area and we can come up with a plan. Take it one step at a time

I agree. That wear, and it is significant, looks to me like the pinion is too far from the flywheel. Or perhaps mismatched pressure angles between the pinion and ring. Either way, that flywheel looks toast.

When you replace it, it would be worth putting spotting blue on the gear and turn over the engine with a new starter and see where the contact patch is. If it is towards the tip of the tooth like the wear suggests, the adapter plate is probably machined wrong, or the aftermarket flywheel is somehow off, which could be a very real possibility. Either way. Something is significantly out of place. The contact patch should be much closer to center.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: