Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

30k miles and no compression loss, overheating, dropped seats or crazy valve adjustment variation. Almost zero lash variation from break-in, actually.

When can I expect to grenade?

Share your china OE head experiences, from actual use, not aftermarket parts hatred.

-Frank
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

“China Head” has variants.
Which are yours?

-and-
Do you _know_ your valve guides are still tight in the heads?

What’s That Noise?!?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

It seems at least some of the china heads are good castings. That's great.
I was very sceptical at first, but, glad I was wrong.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

I have been using china aa500's on lots of engines now.

I have over 30k hard miles on my 2332cc in my baywindow. 9.2cr, .038" deck, and lots of 2500+ mile road trips. I did replace the guides, but the seats, and valves are straight from AA. Last two times I checked the valves, they were all spot on.

Brian
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

Ah we have an audience!

I quite literally mean the ones that come in a white and blue box called "OE" Brand. The ones that were supposed to be the absolute bottom shelf stock basic replacements.

Background: purchased from car craft about 5 years ago. Taken apart to check em out... guides nice and tight on the valve stems, flash was nonexistent. And surprise! They had a 3 angle valve job!

Checked for seal at buddy's shop who rebuilds all sorts of heads, checked out great. No obvious funny business. Also they have Osvat valves. Not stainless.

ONLY thing they did not have was the tiny square air deflectors. Added from junk vw heads. I think I paid... about 130 per head back then?

I don't know that the valve guides are doing the polka in their bores but I also have no reason to believe they are. I won't take em apart to check either.

I have heard great things about AA heads. Mine are definitely NOT AA heads.

-Frank
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

if i recall correctly
Zundfolge thought the OEM heads were a good deal for budget stock heads.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

Myt observations.
Castings are generally good, no matter the brand, even Empi. The valves on the other hand are often crap, BIG TIME! Especially the SS ones. The sock type valves are better. I have seen and witnessed several inake valves simply loose the heads after down to 800 km.
When they are on the agenda I buy them bare and install the hardware I want.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

My first 1915 I built for my 1974 Chenowth had those exact heads, the "OE" ones in the blue box with the red stripe graphic. Ran them offroad, thermally shocked them in water crossings, SURELY either grossly overheated them on hillclimbs or nearly grossly overheated them. I also legalized the Chenowth and commuted in the car for a bit before building my next engine. Sold the engine running and it's still running in a road legal buggy today.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

My first 1915 I built for my 1974 Chenowth had those exact heads, the "OE" ones in the blue box with the red stripe graphic. Ran them offroad, thermally shocked them in water crossings, SURELY either grossly overheated them on hillclimbs or nearly grossly overheated them. I also legalized the Chenowth and commuted in the car for a bit before building my next engine. Sold the engine running and it's still running in a road legal buggy today.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
if i recall correctly
Zundfolge thought the OEM heads were a good deal for budget stock heads.

And I got that idea from a guy that built engines from 1970 till 2008 when he died. He rebuilt a ton of heads over the years but it just got cheaper to install new chinesium heads.
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

I recently bought a pair of the OE heads. I found that the exhaust valves in one of the heads were 35s, completely wrong valves. Vendor immediately send me a pair of Kuhltek heads - which look identical to the OE heads. At least the valves are the right size this time. Don't like how they seat, but I'm not super familiar with them. I am having trouble getting this rebuilt engine to run right, but so far suspect timing and carb. Not sure if my issues could be caused by bad heads/valves.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

personally I try to stay away from kuhltech heads since they had an issue a few years back with seizing valve guides. I think the issue was they didnt ream the guide after installing it. Seems the valves 'felt' ok when lightly inspected but once the head heated up seizeorama. Owners kept wondering why they would pop a pushrod once in a while. Tow the car home, reinstall the pushrod and would start up with no issue. Drive it up a hill or stomp on it a bit and you hear a backfire and loose power. Repeat.

Maybe they are better now post pandemic but Id still check them and get better valves while you are at it.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

Well it seems we have a mixed bag! I will consider myself lucky and tell myself that if my engine has not self destructed yet, it will do so in about 70k!

Until then I will drive worry free!
Very interesting picture of the valve situation... must have been built during some local holiday celebration. Yikes!

-Frank
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It seems at least some of the china heads are good castings. That's great.
I was very sceptical at first, but, glad I was wrong.

Da#$% dude.. You just jumped a notch on my scale.. Not everyone can admit when they are wrong.... You are instantly better than any Boss I ever had.....
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Been a few years, "stock OE" China head observations Reply with quote

I ran 12lbs. Through a set 10 years ago for a year, no issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: