Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

Yes, I've searched.
Yes, I've asked SubaruGears.
No, I did not find/receive an adequate answer.

"A starter from any RWD TDi VW" is my only clue.

Thanks for any and all assistance.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

How about a little more info... Like what engine you are using and which transmission? Generally, I think you use the stater that matches the trans.

I didn't know subarugears made adapter plates.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
Yes, I've searched.
Yes, I've asked SubaruGears.

reason # 489 why i despise that asshat

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
How about a little more info... Like what engine you are using and which transmission? Generally, I think you use the stater that matches the trans.

I didn't know subarugears made adapter plates.

Entschuldigung!

https://subarugears.com/product/vw-tdi-adaptor-only/

Engine: 1.9 AAZ
Trans: Subaru 5spd

Two potential starters are showing up at the shop today, so I got my fingers crossed.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:

"A starter from any RWD TDi VW" is my only clue.

what car(s) could this possibly be referring to?!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

Crafter TDI?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

Amarok?
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

No Sh!t:
This adaptor is to be used with the VW TDi flywheel, VW Tdi clutch cover & VW Tdi engine mounted starter motor from a RWD Tdi.

WTF does that mean?

Lets play a new game: Who can name a RWD VW Tdi?
Only thing I can think of is something like the Euro Td Vanagon.

Last edited by Franklinstower on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:

Only thing I can think of is something like the Euro Tdi Vanagon.

i thought the actual tdi engines (however much faith we put into it specifically referring to a tdi and not just a turbo diesel) came out years after the vanagon was gone from showrooms?.. even in the EU, no?

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

A Tdi starter that fits the teeth of your flywheel will be a Bosch SR0408 or a SR0425 (shorter).

I think the wording is poor "RWD Tdi": it's either FWD Tdi or RWD TD. If they meant the latter, you'll need an adapter plate to install the Tdi starter, but I doubt they designed it using an older style starter.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

WTH? How exactly does a TDI flywheel fit a Subaru engine? Or is this to adapt a VW TDI to a Subaru transmission ( Laughing , why?)
I did read "engine mounted' starter which rules out the FWD starters SR0408X (SR0425N is NOT a TDI starter, it's a gas starter).
But then there are no RWD TDIs in the USA. Who knows what they are talking about. To confuse even more:
"They are a lightweight sports flywheel design that use the Subaru starter motor and Subaru clutch."

Wow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

The SR0425 starter is a gasser but it fits the same, just shorter, so that's still helpful.

Maybe they meant a longitudinal engine starter, they are indeed mounted engine side, like old Audi's or Passat.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

I'm building up a BHW TDI onto a Subaru 5 speed for my Doka with this adapter plate from Subarugears. The adapter plate has a starter mount position that locates the starter next to the block under the turbo like on a B5.5 Passat or Audi A4. Any starter that mounts to the trans, like on a Vanagon, Subaru or any transverse engine, would spin the engine backwards in this position.

I did find a post on another forum from a guy that claims that he was able to use the flywheel/clutch assembly from a '97-'05 A4 / '98-'05 Passat (Valeo part number 52285615) along with a Napa starter part number 244-8520. I haven't been able to cross reference the Napa number to find the application but on the Napa site it looks just like the starter I pulled from my '04 Passat TDI automatic parts car. Pictures from this forum show the starter in position.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The issue I'm running up against is that the adapter that I received last summer from Subarugears has a 19mm step machined out of it that located the starter further away from the engine block. My Passat starter fits fine but it sticks out past the crank hub and well into the bellhousing of the Subaru transmission.

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

3B Passat from Europe with AGZ (long. VR5) has starter in that config...I have one and can take measurements if needed
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

vwjoel wrote:
I'm building up a BHW TDI onto a Subaru 5 speed for my Doka with this adapter plate from Subarugears. The adapter plate has a starter mount position that locates the starter next to the block under the turbo like on a B5.5 Passat or Audi A4. Any starter that mounts to the trans, like on a Vanagon, Subaru or any transverse engine, would spin the engine backwards in this position.

I did find a post on another forum from a guy that claims that he was able to use the flywheel/clutch assembly from a '97-'05 A4 / '98-'05 Passat (Valeo part number 52285615) along with a Napa starter part number 244-8520. I haven't been able to cross reference the Napa number to find the application but on the Napa site it looks just like the starter I pulled from my '04 Passat TDI automatic parts car. Pictures from this forum show the starter in position.

The issue I'm running up against is that the adapter that I received last summer from Subarugears has a 19mm step machined out of it that located the starter further away from the engine block. My Passat starter fits fine but it sticks out past the crank hub and well into the bellhousing of the Subaru transmission.

I don’t see your flywheel bolted up. Temporarily install your flywheel and post a picture of the area where the starter gear and ring gear would engage.

It may require a spacer or adapter to get the depth correct. As far as starter rotation clock wise or counter clockwise. I’d bench test your starter to verify its rotation direction. Mounted on the engine side of the flywheel, if looking forward from the backside of the starter, I believe it would need to spin counter clockwise to spin the engine clockwise.

Perhaps reach out to member David Clymer. He might be able to get you the exact information you need if you aren’t able to get a direct answer. Realize, they are on the opposite side of the world and have vehicles that never made it to the US market. I’m always envious of all the cool rides Europe has, that we will never have here. Crying or Very sad
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

UPDATE

Adapter plate loosely mounted to Subaru dummy transmission.

Bosch starter that matches up to the adapter plate.

Starter loosely held up to plate. Notice how the "nose cone" of the starter protrudes past the mounting surface.

Arear of transmission that will have be removed to allow starter to mount flush.

VR6 Single Mass Flywheel and clutch kit.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

I've been following this thread since I will be using the SG Auto adapter plate. I've been in communication with Todd for 3? years and have found him to be responsive to communication and providing clarity where needed. So to see you having to DIY this is surprising. Todd/SubaruGears has responded to another thread on there recently when it was brought to their attention. Maybe a re-ask will get you the answers to help you?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

vwjoel wrote:

The first picture shows the plate without a 19mm step, while the second picture shows the step.

My plate does not have the step, which might cause an issue.
And the Bosch starter you've used is p/n SR0423X

You can see in this picture that the starter teeth are too far away the ring gear on the flywheel.
Going to dig through my stash and see if I can find another flywheel.

This situation is pretty f------ frustrating and completely unnecessary.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:

This situation is pretty f------ frustrating and completely unnecessary.

no kidding.
it really doesnt seem that hard, or that big of an ask, to just specify which starter they were holding in their hands/modeling when they designed the plate.

11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SubaruGears adapter plate: What part number starter does it use? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

no kidding.
it really doesnt seem that hard, or that big of an ask, to just specify which starter they were holding in their hands/modeling when they designed the plate.

I've reached out to SG two or three times in the ~year I've been working on this project..to only be given snarky answers. But thick skin, sarcasm, and a penchant for shite beer runs in my family (Mum was British) so I'm not too annoyed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: