Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

Hello everyone on the Type 3 section of this website. I'm about to inherit a 1968 Fastback that has been sitting in a garage/closed trailer since 2004. It turned over in 2013, but didn't start. The only known need is a tie rod replacement, but I'm guessing a bunch of other stuff might need to be changed. Oil, battery, cleaning out spider webs, that sort of thing. I was wondering what else is known to need replacement and how should I go about trying to get it running, was told to get a safety inspection and AAA membership before I do anything. Is that a good idea? I have about a month and a half solid to do nothing but try to get it running to the best of my ability in the summer. Currently reading HTKYVWA by John Muir slowly and ordered the brown type three book (planning on making a full scan of it because I couldn't find a PDF if anyone wants it). Thanks in advance if you share some wisdom!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

All fuel and brake rubber lines have to be replaced. Flush brake fluid. Change engine and trans fluids. Lube front end. Check brake linings. All this before you start it and take it down the street. Safety first!

Have friends who are familiar with Type 3 cars before you start.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

right, the smart man will do the brakes first. Don't forget the fuel hose under the tank... Do that when you have the tank out to swap the tie rod(s). The type 3 has a special inner left tie rod end that's at an angle, beware of that. inexpensive oil filled shocks will probably be needed. don't get the gas shocks, they ride rough.

the fuel pump (mechanical) is likely to have gone bad. Bug fuel pumps might or might not work well depending on the carbs you have.

full scan of the brown manual will be a copyright infringement, I wouldn't suggest doing that except for your own personal use...

welcome - type 3's are great, much better than a beetle Smile
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
All fuel and brake rubber lines have to be replaced. Flush brake fluid. Change engine and trans fluids. Lube front end. Check brake linings. All this before you start it and take it down the street. Safety first!

Have friends who are familiar with Type 3 cars before you start.

All of these, especially the fuel hose(s) under the fuel tank while it's empty. I'd probably pull clean and repack the front wheel bearings as well. Basically do as much maintenance stuff as you can before trying to drive it. I only say that as most of that stuff has been sitting still for the last 18 years, and the grease may have turned to oil in that time (why Phil suggested greasing the beam). I too recommend hose changes for both the fuel and brake systems. Keep in mind that you'll probably have to rebuild the master cylinder, as those parts inside take a new shape from not being used. Also use only blue hose (wrapped silicone) from the rez to the M.C., as rubber hose will start to eat itself in brake fluid and could clog a port in the M.C. Yes, I've seen it happen, and replaced the master cylinder because of it.
I'm sure there are other things you could do, like check the compression of the engine to help determine it's health too. Keep in mind that ignition condensers have been iffy lately, while the points are no problem. Spark plugs are another one of those items, as you never know where they're made, even Bosch plugs. Plug wires are another item, as it seems like no one is offering them to fit a type 3, and small animals like to eat them. This also applies with the brake light wires at the switches.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

What everyone else said plus...Something that others may have almost touched upon, but missed; the gas tank, and carburetor float chamber. If the car was put away wet like mine was, the gas had turned to shellac and the internal filter inside the gas tank was useless and plugged from the shellac'd gasoline. There was a small residue in the fuel line from the tank to the back. But this was nothing compared to the gas tank. And it is a smell which will haunt me forever. (And any water in the tank may rust out the tank)
One other bit. Were the tires flat or nearly so? Don't take it out on the road if they inflate. They do not have long for the world.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

i, do you know if this '68 still has its factory original fuel injection (standard equipment on US-spec Type 3 starting with the '68 model year), or if it was converted to dual carburetors? Regardless, the advice of replacing the fuel hoses is prudent. Ask for hoses that are ethanol-fuel resistant.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

Do not be in a rush to get it going....found mine under a pine tree for ten years. At first it seemed over whellming. Just take one system at a time for inspection repair replace. Like all of the electrical connections,I did that on mine and do not have any eletric gremlins. Finding decent centric not out round rear brake drums was a challenge. Now i just drive it knowing it is reliable.
Just how I found the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
What everyone else said plus...Something that others may have almost touched upon, but missed; the gas tank, and carburetor float chamber. If the car was put away wet like mine was, the gas had turned to shellac and the internal filter inside the gas tank was useless and plugged from the shellac'd gasoline. There was a small residue in the fuel line from the tank to the back. But this was nothing compared to the gas tank. And it is a smell which will haunt me forever. (And any water in the tank may rust out the tank)
One other bit. Were the tires flat or nearly so? Don't take it out on the road if they inflate. They do not have long for the world.

Yeah, I'm dealing with that right now lol. It has about 6 gallons in it. that gas tank is a nightmare, and I opted to buy another one with a bit of rust, but nothing compared to the id say 1/8 of an inch coating of brown and black tar that coated the entire inside. Bought a new fuel sender and a few other things.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Inheriting a 1968 fastback that's been sitting since 2004. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
i, do you know if this '68 still has its factory original fuel injection (standard equipment on US-spec Type 3 starting with the '68 model year), or if it was converted to dual carburetors? Regardless, the advice of replacing the fuel hoses is prudent. Ask for hoses that are ethanol-fuel resistant.

It has the original FI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: