Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pressure plate contact inside belhousing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure plate contact inside belhousing Reply with quote

There was nothing wrong inside the tunnel, although the group of tubes including the clutch cable tube had a zap strap around them, which I thought was weird.

I tried a different pressure plate and disc with instant results. I have pedal pressure when I'm supposed to now. I won't know if the problem is solved until I try it with the new disc as the test disc is well worn out.

Both pressure plates are F&S. The one I tried today has VW stamp and part number stamped 111 141 025. The height of all relevant surfaces are the same when unloaded, plus there a few aesthetic differences but 3 main differences I found on the "new" plate.
-The release plate is thicker and 5mm bigger in OD (ID is the same).
-The release arms are shorter.
-The release plate doesn't move when loaded on the flywheel.

I don't know why this one is working, just that it is working.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I won't know for certain that this is the fix until I test it with the new disc but first I'll need to clean up this crusty old part so I don't foul up the new disc.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pressure plate contact inside belhousing Reply with quote

AWESOME! Hope it works with the disc installed!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure plate contact inside belhousing Reply with quote

Update.

Pretty sure mdege is right that the problem is the clutch disc thickness.

This pressure plate does not work with the new disc installed. With the old disc installed (7.3mm thick) the release plate is 27mm from the flywheel surface, which is good. With the new disc installed (9.4mm thick) the release plate is all the way down to 21mm from the flywheel surface. No good.

I adjusted the previous pressure plate with the new disc installed so that the release plate is 27mm and I think everything is working as it should. I can at least adjust pedal play properly. I'll update when I get the engine running again.

I'd like to have adjusted both pressure plates to the new disc thickness but I can't figure out how they stake the nuts on the older style pressure plate.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure plate contact inside belhousing Reply with quote

RustPatch wrote:
Update.

Pretty sure mdege is right that the problem is the clutch disc thickness.

This pressure plate does not work with the new disc installed. With the old disc installed (7.3mm thick) the release plate is 27mm from the flywheel surface, which is good. With the new disc installed (9.4mm thick) the release plate is all the way down to 21mm from the flywheel surface. No good. .

7mm is the worn out limit for the clutch disc. Your flywheel is screwed up.
RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure plate contact inside belhousing Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Where can I find the problem with the flywheel? When I had it turned, I measured it and found the surfaces to be flat to within 0.001", parallel to within 0.001", and 24mm apart.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure plate contact inside belhousing Reply with quote

RustPatch wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Where can I find the problem with the flywheel? When I had it turned, I measured it and found the surfaces to be flat to within 0.001", parallel to within 0.001", and 24mm apart.

Then perhaps the pressure plate is off.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure plate contact inside belhousing Reply with quote

RP,
Did you get this figured out? My bet is on too thick clutch disk as that directly affects how far those adjustment nuts protrude from the flywheel when all installed. Then pushing the clutch pedal raises them even more.
RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pressure plate contact inside belhousing Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
RP,
Did you get this figured out? My bet is on too thick clutch disk as that directly affects how far those adjustment nuts protrude from the flywheel when all installed. Then pushing the clutch pedal raises them even more.

Yup, I think so. I got my carb back so I could do a running test this weekend. Goes through all the gears a lot more smoothly (now that the clutch can fully dis-engage), and there's no more contact inside the bell-housing. Very Happy

When I got the disc I didn't think it was that much too thick, the book says up to 9.2mm and I'm only 0.2mm above that but I guess if the pressure plate isn't adjusted for that thick of a disc you get the issues I had.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, greatly appreciated! I'll update if there's a problem, but for now, I think we've fixed it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: