Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What was your best stock engine ever?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, 6.0Ltr. L76 LS based engine 361HP, 361ft. Lbs. torque.
That thing was a beast. I drove that car across the US once and from Or. to Tx.

The engine featured the displacement on demand system. At hiway speeds, it would drop down to 4 cylinders, when needed, it would pick back up to a powerful V8.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I miss that car. Crying or Very sad

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

2.8 liter in my 83 S10 4x4 had 265,000 miles on it when I sold it.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Had to be VW 1200 engine 1960 and before. Seemingly indestructible required minimum care.

36hp? Yes, I've always heard they are pretty bullet-proof

My old '54 Truck had a 36hp I pulled out of a dirt floor shed in the middle of the desert. Changed the oil a bunch of times and ran it. No problems except now I know it was super slow (even for a 36hp) so something was probably wrong - low compression maybe
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
That's a motor, not an engine.

Laughing

Sorry.

283 2 barrel fronting a powerglide. Your first lump is always the best.

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Mopar 318 pre magnum. Do a timing chain at about 120K and keep rolling

Mopar 225/170 legendary

Volvo 1.6/1.8/2.0 pre 72

AMC 232, car dies of rust, interior evaporates, engine just keeps going
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
That's a motor, not an engine.

Laughing

Sorry.

283 2 barrel fronting a powerglide. Your first lump is always the best.

Had a '64 Impala with the same engine. Paid $50 for it because I wanted the posi rearend for my '57.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

1. 1998 Nissan Frontier 2.4 liter engine, 270K so far with no internal engine issues ever

2. 1971 VW 1600cc DP engine in my 1971 convertible, no issues in its first 32 years, then an oil cover stud vibrated out and (unfortunately) Mrs. Cusser ignored the red warning light and the oil pressure gauge and still drove it 3+ miles after all the oil leaked out, years later found that damaged the #2 main bearing; but we still ran that engine 3 more years with low oil pressure, then I rebuilt it for my 1970 sedan.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Best engine in the cars we owned had to be Volvo B20 I liked them a lot I even stuffed one into our 74 type 2 camper - thanks to Kennedy for the adapter plate

On all the boats I ran Detroit Diesel was the most reliable if you feed it habits (oil) and could stand the scream. We had 2 8V71 Jimmies in the big boat.
The Green Drippers.

In the Gensets department Deutz air cooled diesels ran for ever. 24/7 months on end. They did have a huge oil tank that the engines sat on. 3 and 6 cylinders.

We had Honda outboards and rototillers that served us well.
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
My current 2002 Tahoe 5.3 with 218,000 miles. Lots of power and no issues.

I concur. Dead reliable and strong engine.

The wife has an 05 GMC Envoy XUV 4x4 with about 132k.
She bought it new.
Only issue now is a small oil pan gasket leak that needs addressed.

Really crappy cell phone pic. Embarassed

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

my current roadster 2.0L with 300hp aint bad. and it may just be the only thing ive ever owned with a stock engine...of coarse my wifes twin turbo aint bad either..
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

‘64 Impala 283

‘69 Bay window 1600 SP did 75 mph on the flat, full load of kids right off the showroom floor. No 1600 DP ever beat it!

‘73 Buick 455 fully loaded 4 door hardtop 21 mpg and torque to burn tires all day at 130K miles

‘83 944 never lets me down ever. 35 mpg and will stay with anything you ask it to in a corner. Mileage unknown, driver’s seat belt worn to a fuzzy rope, no rubber left on the clutch and brake pedals.

‘02 and ‘04 TDIs change oil and timing belts regularly 55 to 63 mpg will stay with the traffic on any hill in 5th gear car body rots out long before the drivetrain is done. Have yet to have one fail 470+ K Km and still going strong.

‘03 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummins torque monster 500K km using no oil, still gets 17 mpg with a trailer and 8400 pounds of firewood in the mountain passes.

Last edited by oprn on Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Chrysler's Leaning Tower of Power, the Slant Six (170, 198, 225 CID) mated with one of the best automatics ever built, the 727 (or 904) TorqueFlite.
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

1. 97 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins. 425,000 miles. Still going strong and getting 22 mpg on the highway.

2. 73 Thing powered by 2.0 type 4 from a 912e. Most reliable VW I have or have had.
72 Super
63 Bug
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

66 Impala 283 powerglide, it had the stock power pack higher compression heads. That car could sit for months and would start right up like I drove it yesterday.

My replacement 66 Impala 396 is not stock Laughing

Daily Driver 3UZ-FE 04LS430 is great except the city mileage

VW wise:

there's an incorrect screw here on the air cleaner clamp, and the NOS wires not installed, but otherwise pretty stock. I even color matched all the Bakelite Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Toyota 20R engine in a 1977 Celica fastback, w/ 5 speed manual tranny. Was my introduction to Japanese engines, and just how reliable / long-lived they could be, plus relatively easy to work on as well.

Car had something like 165k on original engine when I bought it in early 1990's. We proceeded to drive it about 10 years and to over 300k total miles (speedo cable broke around that point, and never bothered to replace it) -- all w/ little more than routine oil changes and similar preventative maintenance, plus a couple part replacements (e.g. alternator, water pump).

Eventually sold it to a brother-in-law in early 2000's, when the body rust was starting to get bad. He drove it another couple years, then sold it to yet another owner, who continued to drive it few years beyond that -- !! I think I last saw it back in late 2000's. Body was pretty much hopeless at that point, but the gal who owned it said that same old engine was still running in it. Amazing...

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

partial to the following engines ( that haven't been mentioned )

saab 900 four cylinder ( best version is normally aspirated 2.1 found in 1991-1994 900's )

bmw :3.5 liter straight six normally aspirated

subaru : flat 4 2.2 liter (early incantations)

ford : 5.4 triton V8 - 1999-2006 ( V10 may be awesome too but never experienced one )

ford : v4 - very cool little engine found in saab96 and european ford transit

cadillac : 429 cu in V8 - found in 64'-67' cadillacs

honda : D16A6 16-valve SOHC found in like 1990 civic si

vw : 2.0 crossflow found in MK3 golf

not enough experience with diesels to add to the list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Worst: 460 Ford, had 2 of those 11 mpg gutless valve train clattering pieces of poop!
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Worst: 460 Ford, had 2 of those 11 mpg gutless valve train clattering pieces of poop!

I had a mint 1974 Lincoln around 1990. It too had the 460. With a 2:21 rearend, about 5000 lbs in weight, and 195 hp it was a dog and this was the last year before catalytic converters. That 11 mpg was pretty accurate around town. I did get 17 mpg on the highway but it was gutless. The only other comparable dog I had was a Buick Electra Park Avenue with a 403 V8. both were very smooth rides however.
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
Toyota 20R engine in a 1977 Celica fastback, w/ 5 speed manual tranny. Was my introduction to Japanese engines, and just how reliable / long-lived they could be, plus relatively easy to work on as well.

Car had something like 165k on original engine when I bought it in early 1990's. We proceeded to drive it about 10 years and to over 300k total miles (speedo cable broke around that point, and never bothered to replace it) -- all w/ little more than routine oil changes and similar preventative maintenance, plus a couple part replacements (e.g. alternator, water pump).

Eventually sold it to a brother-in-law in early 2000's, when the body rust was starting to get bad. He drove it another couple years, then sold it to yet another owner, who continued to drive it few years beyond that -- !! I think I last saw it back in late 2000's. Body was pretty much hopeless at that point, but the gal who owned it said that same old engine was still running in it. Amazing...

YES

I had a "71 Celica with the 18R engine... It was great as a stock engine but I eventually I put a Weber carb on It with a manual choke just for fun. It is one of my biggest regrets because I wrecked it. It was the 96TH Celica ever made and I truly loved that car. Serial no. 000..096

It was the yellow version of this ...I feel like I destroyed history.

I bought another one and swapped that motor, painted it red, put some centerline wheels on it and I gave it to my sister. That thing was cool... it looked like a little '69 Camaro. I was a little jealous but I had replaced it with a '76 Celica that I also loved, with the 20R motor.

Last edited by DeathRay64 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Very pretty cars! My Buddy had one too in gold paint. Where did all those car designers from the 60's and 70's go? And did they not mentor anyone to fill their shoes? Today's offerings are butt ugly compared to those cars! All we get now is the same shapeless blobs that someone pinched a few random body lines onto no matter what the make is!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: