Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What was your best stock engine ever?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

My Honda 90 trail was pretty good. It got 90 mpg in town and I put a lot of miles on it back and forth to work, rain or shine it never let me down!
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

I think the designers had to eat government shit for years... aerodynamics destroyed design because of the ignorant green agenda
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Well it didn't help, we had full sized cars getting 20 mpg back then and the 4 cylinders were in the 35 to 45 range. All those years of "streamlining" and cars still get much the same today.

Maybe even a little less...
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Well it didn't help, we had full sized cars getting 20 mpg back then and the 4 cylinders were in the 35 to 45 range. All those years of "streamlining" and cars still get much the same today.

Maybe even a little less...

True, but a lot of that has to do with Americans wanting bigger & more powerful engines so they can accelerate faster in traffic jams! I admit when I was a teenager & even into my early twenties I wanted more power but I grew out of that mindset. Now though, its the 30s-50s age group.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
My Honda 90 trail was pretty good. It got 90 mpg in town and I put a lot of miles on it back and forth to work, rain or shine it never let me down!

I second the small Hondas. I've got an '82 C70 Passport that I've had for over 15 years. I used it as my primary mode of transportation for several of those years and regularly got around 100 mpg. I also took it on longer rides and a couple of camping trips as well. The most memorable was riding it across New Hampshire and to the top of Mount Washington, which it could only manage in 1st gear at about 7mph all the way up. I did rebuild the engine once in the 35,000 miles I have ridden it. The little spring-loaded arm that holds the shift drum in place cracked and it would pop out of second gear occasionally. Since I had it all apart, I put in a new piston and cylinder just because. The only time it broke down was when the screws that held the carburetor bowl together rattled loose and fell out. Sadly, it mostly sits around in the corner of the garage now since drivers are way too agitated and aggressive toward such a slow vehicle. I do still get it out for an early morning weekend ride a few times a year though.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Where did all those car designers from the 60's and 70's go?

They retired and died.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Honda made and makes some very fine engines. Had a buddy with a 1200 early Civic ( non CVCC ), bullet proof and great mileage. 2 speed automatic you had to shift. Excellent around town car. Aerodynamics matter at high speed, the average interstate rip seems to be around 90mph. Modern design is not some crazy conspiracy.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

We had one of those ugly Honda Elements for 16 years. It had 260K on it. The engine(USA made) and transmission(Japan made) were still going strong when the brain went wacko. The engine didn't burn a drop of oil and I only completely changed the trans fluid once which did not have a filter. I sold the car for parts.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Honda made and makes some very fine engines. Had a buddy with a 1200 early Civic ( non CVCC ), bullet proof and great mileage. 2 speed automatic you had to shift. Excellent around town car. Aerodynamics matter at high speed, the average interstate rip seems to be around 90mph. Modern design is not some crazy conspiracy.

Exactly.

"The ignorant green agenda" got the air cleaner, and automobiles more efficient. if you dont like that go drive a tractor.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
"The ignorant green agenda" got the air cleaner, and automobiles more efficient. if you dont like that go drive a tractor.

Air quality is getting worse here. We never had the problem here that people in Californication had. All that smog you guys talk about was never here. I think our cold weather is what save us that problem. If a car was not in good tune here in the winter it just simply would not run! You cannot get away with the neglect that people in warm climates can. Now with the increase in population and everyone driving gas guzzling SUVs our cities are really starting to stink like never before!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Now with the increase in population and everyone driving gas guzzling SUVs our cities are really starting to stink like never before!

If only there were EVs...

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
crofty wrote:

Air quality is getting worse here. We never had the problem here that people in Californication had. All that smog you guys talk about was never here. I think our cold weather is what save us that problem. If a car was not in good tune here in the winter it just simply would not run! You cannot get away with the neglect that people in warm climates can. Now with the increase in population and everyone driving gas guzzling SUVs our cities are really starting to stink like never before!

Agreed. I've never understood the idea behind driving a 3-ton station wagon back & forth to work. Most don't even carpool with those boat anchors.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
oprn wrote:
crofty wrote:

Agreed. I've never understood the idea behind driving a 3-ton station wagon back & forth to work. Most don't even carpool with those boat anchors.

And then, up here in the rust belt, half the population lets their land barges idle for fifteen minutes to warm up every time they go somewhere when it's below freezing.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
If only there were EVs... so the pollution could be shifted out into the countryside too instead of just in the city.

There, fixed it for you! Wink
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

I bought a '76 Datsun 620 just because sometimes you need a pick-up. It was cheap and had 80,000 miles on it. It flipped over and when it was getting close to the 200,000 mark , I told myself that it was about to leave me stranded at any mimute. I sold it for about what I had bought it for several years earlier. That damned truck was all over town for years after that and finally rusted to death. The L20 was still going and the guy that bought it from me said someone wanted the motor for a fork lift he had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

doug bugg wrote:
Chrysler's Leaning Tower of Power, the Slant Six (170, 198, 225 CID) mated with one of the best automatics ever built, the 727 (or 904) TorqueFlite.

...with the push-button gear selection, too!
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

The slant 6 was a great engine but I don't recall it being available with the 727 transmission in any application, only the 904. The 727 was mated to the larger engines.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
The slant 6 was a great engine but I don't recall it being available with the 727 transmission in any application, only the 904. The 727 was mated to the larger engines.

Except when you drove through a puddle, the car backfires and shears the plastic gear on the bottom of the distributor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

My 84 F'n Dodge van had one, great engine and trans, "computer controlled" ignition not so much, nothing says reliable like pushing it out of another intersection. Swapped in the earlier distributor and eventually put a Weber on it, not bad after that aside from 13 MPG.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your best stock engine ever? Reply with quote

7.3 powerstroke. Pre emissions. Aftremarket is strong, just like an acvw,. 282,000 and doesn't use a drop of oil. Er, motor oil. The body however, is starting to rust in all of the usual placex tho.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: