Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

This is the story of my 1979 Dasher.

Some might say this is a rare find, a diamond in Africa sort of discovery and for those who treasure the 70s and 80s Volkswagens as I do, they would be right. Craigslist, a few hours of driving, and $600 bucks later and we were driving back to Idaho some 216 miles, breaks barely working with no history of how well she ran. I figured if she made it home it was going to be a good deal.

She's a yellow/cream 1.5L diesel with a 4 speed transmission. The odometer stopped at 100k miles which may mean low miles, but likely not. She made it all the way back with no issues averaging speeds anywhere from 55-75 and getting 40 mpg.

From my research, the jury is out about which car gets the "first water-cooled imported by Volkswagen into the USA" award, the Rabbit or Dasher, but here are the facts I've discovered and think are cool:

1. The Dasher was designed by the same renowned car designer as the coveted Audi Quattros famed in rally racing and shares similar quirky component layouts.

2. The Dasher is sometimes called the Passat B1 and is the root of Volkswagen's Passat, Fox?, and Quantum vehicle lines. (I think...)

3. The Dashers were more popular in South America and Volkswagen made later versions of these with features of mk2 Jettas and called them The Passat Pointer.

Initial photos of the car will be coming soon. I will post all updates and questions here as this project goes. Let me know if there are any specific things you are interested in seeing or any questions you have. I am excited to get this car more road worthy so I can daily drive it. The long-term plans may or may not fall along the lines of a resto-mod project, but that really depends on how it all unfolds as I go. I'm mostly just excited to learn and restore this vehicle.

For the extra curious among us, I have decided to call the car Farrah Fawcett after a song by Capital Cities called "Farrah Fawcett Hair". If you like good music or are looking to expand your shop tunes, definitely go give the song and album a listen. If you got this far, you are a champ for reading all this and thank you for following along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Hey congrats on your latest purchase! Very Happy
I've subscribed this already.

Last edited by TornadoRed06 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

The Dasher was the first here in Western Canada. If memory serves it was only offered for maybe 2 years. Very few of them were around then and none at all now. At one time I had an Audi Fox that shared the same mechanicals. Great cars all of those early water pumpers but the sheet metal worms ate them up very quickly in colder climates where salt is used liberally.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

There is a white [with green moss] on the side of Rainier on the shores of Lake Washington in the Renton area. It's a sad piece of metal. I bet the owner would love to get rid of it.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

The Dasher's first year in the U.S. was 1974 (MY). The Rabbit arrived here in 1975 (MY).
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Sounds about right!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
The Dasher's first year in the U.S. was 1974 (MY). The Rabbit arrived here in 1975 (MY).

Correct. My parents gave me a subscription for Road & Track magazine, in which I remember this issue and its road test including the Dasher (gas engine only back then)-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also remember a VW ad for the '74 Dasher, "$4000 for a Volkswagen? Is it worth it?" or similar.

OP- I had an '80 Dasher diesel 4-door hatchback as my DD from late '83 for a few years until I got a good job with a new company car. Took a 10,000 mile drive around the upper USA in late '83, in which I had absolutely no problems with it. I kept the Dasher as my utility car thru '99. Was able to pin the 85 mph speedometer given some time on level highways...

It's been nearly a year since your post. Do you still have the Dasher, and can you put up some photos?
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

I wish I had more of an update to give, but too many projects and I have ran into quite the hangup. Phase one on this project has been to just get it road worthy: New tires and alignment, fluid flushes, new timing belt, lights all working.

The big bottle neck I have run into is needing a specialty Pully puller for the intermediate shaft puller to complete the timing belt change and water pump replacement.

Which brings me to my next issue. I am a tooth or two off on my timing belt now which might mean I need to pull the engine, or do a head gasket replacement to get the timing of the engine top to bottom reset.

Here are some more photos of the vehicle. We will see how this progresses. I would really like to get this road worthy first before starting to tear it apart but open to suggestions.

The chronic rust through the floor pans might need to be addressed sooner rather than later and has me thinking about carbon fiber floor pans and a tube chassis which is way outside of my skill set and tool set at the moment.

raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Unbolt the pully from the crankshaft sprocket. This will give you room for the timing belt removal. You really should have a manual, it will be worth the investment.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

D78Q85V87 wrote:

The big bottle neck I have run into is needing a specialty Pully puller for the intermediate shaft puller to complete the timing belt change and water pump replacement.

Which brings me to my next issue. I am a tooth or two off on my timing belt now which might mean I need to pull the engine, or do a head gasket replacement to get the timing of the engine top to bottom reset.

Here are some more photos of the vehicle. We will see how this progresses. I would really like to get this road worthy first before starting to tear it apart but open to suggestions.

Ummm…. Remove the four 6mm Allen head bolts holding the crank pulley to the timing gear. The pulley should slip out between the crank bolt & lower rad support.

Once the pulley is off, the you should be able to coax the intermediate shaft pulley off. There’s a bit of friction between it & the shaft, but I’ve never needed a puller to remove it. If it’s stuck, you can try warming it with a torch, the aluminum will expand more that the steel shaft & it will come off.

Why would you remove the cylinder head?!?

There is no timing mark on the cam gear.
To set the timing correctly, you need to remove the valve cover & make sure that the cam lines up with the top surface of the head (a special fixture) but a piece of flat bar works just as well. The bolt on the cam gear is then loosened & the cam gear is popped loose by a hammer & drift. The cam gear is wedge mated to the cam & is therefore infinitely adjustable until tightened.

The flywheel has a timing mark, and the injection pump is locked in place with a pin, a deep, thin wall 11mm socket is my go to for this.

In an ideal world, you need a dial gauge & special adapter to dial in the pump timing, but as long as it hasn’t been f#^%ed with, the lock pin should be sufficient.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Unbolt the pully from the crankshaft sprocket. This will give you room for the timing belt removal. You really should have a manual, it will be worth the investment.

The reason I need to pull the intermediate shaft pulley is to replace the water pump. There is one bolt on for getting the water pump out that is blocked by the intermediate shaft pulley. I do have a manual and I will double check that but to my recollection, I don't remember it having super in-depth details about this matter but maybe I'm just dense and didn't read it thoroughly.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Ummm…. Remove the four 6mm Allen head bolts holding the crank pulley to the timing gear. The pulley should slip out between the crank bolt & lower rad support.

Once the pulley is off, the you should be able to coax the intermediate shaft pulley off. There’s a bit of friction between it & the shaft, but I’ve never needed a puller to remove it. If it’s stuck, you can try warming it with a torch, the aluminum will expand more that the steel shaft & it will come off.

Why would you remove the cylinder head?!?

There is no timing mark on the cam gear.
To set the timing correctly, you need to remove the valve cover & make sure that the cam lines up with the top surface of the head (a special fixture) but a piece of flat bar works just as well. The bolt on the cam gear is then loosened & the cam gear is popped loose by a hammer & drift. The cam gear is wedge mated to the cam & is therefore infinitely adjustable until tightened.

The flywheel has a timing mark, and the injection pump is locked in place with a pin, a deep, thin wall 11mm socket is my go to for this.

In an ideal world, you need a dial gauge & special adapter to dial in the pump timing, but as long as it hasn’t been f#^%ed with, the lock pin should be sufficient.

This is very helpful information. So I have screwed up the timing and seem to be a tooth or two off top of the engine to bottom of the engine or cam shaft to crank shaft. It will start and run but it is extraordinarily loud. I was looking and I do not see markings on the bottom crank shaft pulley/gear and corresponding markings elsewere that are supposed to be lined up. My concern with this is also that if the markings are only on the pulley and if the previous owner removed that pulley, who's to say they put it back on the engine correctly. Maybe there are realities about the engine construction that make that not possible, but that is the complete story of the issue I am currently dealing with as it relates to the timing belt.

As far as the intermediate shaft pulley goes, I did undo the bolts behind the pulley but that didn't seem to do anything. I need to get it off so I can undo a bolt holding the water pump on so I can service it at the same time I'm replacing the timing belt. Thank you for your help.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Crank TDC mark will be a 0 or notch, seen through a sight hole of the bell housing on the transmission, just below the battery/water outlet on cylinder head.

This is on a Jetta, your car will NOT have the threaded sight hole, but it will be in the same place.

DO NOT remove the seal carrier bolts behind the intermediate shaft pulley, this will allow the intermediate shaft to come out with the pulley.

The intermediate shaft pulley cannot be removed without the belt pulley still attached to the crank.

As said before, the cam is locked in place with a special fixture plate,

My go to is a 17mm Snap On wrench.

and the injection pump is locked in place with a pin

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Crank TDC mark will be a 0 or notch, seen through a sight hole of the bell housing on the transmission, just below the battery/water outlet on cylinder head.

Ok awesome! I will check the transmission again and see if I can see that hole you are referring to. It would be great if I could get this fixed without having to take the engine out and/or apart.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

BIG WIN THIS WEEKEND. It turns out my suspicions on the timing belt issue were wrong. what ended up being out of time was the P-pump. Got everything lined up and timing belt back on and we are good to go! No smoke and idling clean with plenty of power. Next improvements are: hoses, tires, fluid flushes. I am very glad it is running again.

TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

That's fantastic, great! Very Happy
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Good going with determining the actual issue and getting the engine going again. With that major hurdle behind you, the other tasks should be easy and predictable.

"Plenty of power"- I remember Mr. Wu's comment to Jim Douglas on holding back Herbie at the night stop of the El Dorado race in "The Love Bug"- "the stlength of fawlty holses!". Your Dasher remarkably has only 8 more! But from my many years of driving my '80, I could bury the (federally mandated 85 mph) speedometer given a long enough stretch of highway.

Will you rivet on a long patch piece of metal to the right front floor to connect the sill with the actual floor section that rusted away? If you find a scrap piece of galvanized metal, that'll work fine. Then spray over it with black undercoating for edge sealing and cosmetic "hiding".
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

I would like to weld in a new floor pan section, but for now I am just trying to get it so I can drive it around. The drivers side floor pan is great so there are no issues with the seat on that side. I think to truly fix the issue with the seat mounts on the passenger side will require welding. Maybe I will do a full repaint, down the road as part of the restomod phase.

For now the focus is on getting it mechanically sound and then drive it around town. I am still planning and assembling inspirational resources for the restomod build project.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Quote:
planning and assembling inspirational resources for the restomod build project.

A few ideas from my modifications to my Dasher from '83:
- Removed the chrome/aluminum fenderwell opening strips
- Had the bottom half of the body- below the factory side trim strips- painted a slightly contrasting color; I chose a gunmetal grey against the stock silver upper body
- Paint the bumpers to match the contrasting color using a flex agent
- Paint the panel between the taillamps flat black
- Install 14" VW alloy rims from a slightly later car; that maintains the "family look". If I'd redo my Dasher nowadays, my fave wheel would be the '84 Rabbit GTi 14" "snowflakes".
- Install a sport steering wheel such as from a late '70's Scirocco or a period aftermarket one to get rid of the "frumpy" stock one. Don't get a smaller diameter; as you know you need the leverage of the stock diameter since the car has no power steering
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
planning and assembling inspirational resources for the restomod build project.

A few ideas from my modifications to my Dasher from '83:
- Removed the chrome/aluminum fenderwell opening strips
- Had the bottom half of the body- below the factory side trim strips- painted a slightly contrasting color; I chose a gunmetal grey against the stock silver upper body
- Paint the bumpers to match the contrasting color using a flex agent
- Paint the panel between the taillamps flat black
- Install 14" VW alloy rims from a slightly later car; that maintains the "family look". If I'd redo my Dasher nowadays, my fave wheel would be the '84 Rabbit GTi 14" "snowflakes".
- Install a sport steering wheel such as from a late '70's Scirocco or a period aftermarket one to get rid of the "frumpy" stock one. Don't get a smaller diameter; as you know you need the leverage of the stock diameter since the car has no power steering

These are great! I am working up a creative brief to help solidify a plan for updates, changes, and modifications. I am hoping to have that done in the next couple weeks and will do a big update some of these will definitely make the list in some form or other.

I love those "snowflake alloy rims also. It needs a new dash and I have been wondering if the scirocco one would fit as finding a good dash out of a Dasher is likely going to take the Lord himself returning to make happen. probably more realistic to find one off a rabbit or MK1 jetta or caddy truck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: