Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary turn signals for added safety / visibility
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
belky611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Auxiliary turn signals for added safety / visibility Reply with quote

I recently added some comments to this post by FJBen https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775845 I shared that I had experienced several rear end near misses that I initially put down to inattentive drivers until I realized that the visibility of my turn signals left a lot to be desired - they work but are so small and low mounted compared to modern cars with their high mounted super bright led signals- I realized those drivers probably didn't even notice them, relatively dim and mounted way down by the bumper.

So I resolved to remedy that with some bright LED turn signals mounted high enough to be noticed. I also resolve NOT to drill any holes in the body so I devised a plan to put them inside, mounted on the rear door trim alongside the third brake light (two tiny holes in the plastic trim for each does not bother me - besides I already discovered that ACE hardware brand plumbers epoxy (grey) is a perfect match to my grey interion to plug unwanted hoes and minor repairs (bonus tip there for you)

So here's how I wired up for the lights - I will cover the mounting and home made brackets in a later post, this is a work in progress but I will say I am well pleased with the progress and outcome so far.

As far as I know I can't post videos here (tried and it didn't work) so I'll share this link to my instagram post on the subject for anyone interested in seeing the turn signal in action https://www.instagram.com/p/CnqbBN3hHXX/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary turn signals for added safety / visibility Reply with quote

Great addition, well done
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary turn signals for added safety / visibility Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for posting this! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
belky611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary turn signals for added safety / visibility Reply with quote

Here's the finished project, (Link below) wires are wrapped identical to the stock 3rd brake light and tucked neatly up to the plastic trim, Mounting brackets made with modeling brass and a little sticky backed foam for anti rattle padding, holding everything firm. When the weather is warmer I plan on priming and paint the the brass brackets / black screws to complete the black on grey blend in.

The clip with the old guy hand blocking the stock signals is intended to simulate a vehicle behind the van blocking the view of the stock signals, as can happen in traffic, as you can see the new led are quite visible in broad daylight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn0fdAJMgvz/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: