Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I remove rusty jugs?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtexan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

I picked up an engine from a 1955. I enjoy resurrecting these from time to time but I have a problem I've not encountered before and need your help.

Engine does not turn. The jugs are bad as you can see in the pic. They do not budge, slide, pry off with a screwdriver etc. Heat from a butane torch doesn't seem to help either. I've tried using a block of wood and a big mallet and have only broken off fins. The jug itself has not budged.

I have the cylinders soaking in PB Blast in hopes of it penetrating and breaking it up inside. I have read every other thread on the samba related to this and I'm striking out.

Any suggestions? The only thing I have left to try is a sawzall. Please help. Any advice is truly appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Dead blow hammer.

If that doesn't work... mini sledge hammer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Time to get midevil on it
1: knock as many fins off as you can on the top and bottom.
2: use a thin blade on your grinder and cut the cylinder lengthwise on top and bottom. The more you can cut, the better
3: grab 2 cold chisels and drive then into the cuts, going towards the case. You'll split the cylinder. It might still be jammed into the case, but this usually gets things moving so you can spin it a little.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

A good chisel and hammer worked for me. If you whack it in the right spot the cast iron will break off in a couple big chunks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Most of the time alternating top to bottom with a dead blow hammer will walk them out. Takes a little patience. On really stubborn ones, sometimes it helps to remove the studs and put a big channel lock on it and rotate back and forth to loosen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Unscrew those head studs and get them out of your way.
Then air chisel or hammer bottom most lip/fin on the cylinder away from the case obviously. A couple decent blows with a 5-8lb hammer like that has always worked for me on anything that was salvageable.
If you can get ONE loose on each side you can get crafty from there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigtexan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Thank you all very much! I'll will try all of your suggestions. I'll let you know what worked when I'm done.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

It took me 6 hours to get the heads off my engine. The cylinders were NOT coming off. I used a foot long piece of rail road track and a large sledge hammer to bust them up. I was very sad to do that because what I could see of the cylinders was very smooth and the engine still had its dished pistons. All of which were smashed to pieces.

Don
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Do what esde had to say about it.

Get yourself a 4 or 4 1/2" grinder, put a cut-off wheel in it and cut your cylinders. Makita is best....or maybe a cordless Dewalt (if they make such a thing).

You've already pounded to much. A sawzall won't do it...easily.

Cut the cylinders vertically....go easy and keep it away from the case.

Or cut off the jug, below the piston, if possible...if not, below the rings.

I have a Makita, and a 4 1/2" Harbor Feright. It has been holding up just fine. I had a 4"....it didn't cut it. I let all the smoke outa the wiring....on the first abuse (sorta like a use, but strenous). I finished the job w/the 4 1/2" and have used the heck outa it since then.
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

OHhhhh, you've tried Propane.

Try a real torch. I didn't see...are you planning on re-useing the pistons? They won't be much use w/o jugs.
bigtexan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Thank you Stinky123. I suspect you are right and I'll have to cut these off. I'll have to replace the heads, jugs, and pistions (at least).

I have a much bigger hammer now. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Thank you!
Mazdd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Hi everyone I had a sized Vw 92 mm engine sat outside for 30 years the way I unstuck mine was I purchase 3 1/2” x 1/2” round plate on eBay used air chisel with a flat bit was able to un freeze all my pistons with no damage and a lot of pb blaster hope this helps
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

Here's my method:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9156214#9156214
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

On old hit and miss engines grease would be used as a press. Bolt a head back on and through the spark plug hole make and adapter to allow grease to fill the cylinder and press it out. Should work.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove rusty jugs? Reply with quote

JeffL wrote:
On old hit and miss engines grease would be used as a press. Bolt a head back on and through the spark plug hole make and adapter to allow grease to fill the cylinder and press it out. Should work.

The previous owner of my 53 25hp tried that. He didn't succeed in moving the pistons, but did make a tremendous mess. the pressure generated was enough to lift the head, and he completely filled the inside of one cylinder head tin. I have never been so filthy as when getting that engine apart

This was after scraping the major blobs away

We ended up splitting the cylinders from around the pistons, caveman style. It's crude but always works.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: