Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

My one hour old 40HP engine is toast. Thick sludge with aggregate in it after 1 hour. I am to blame i a sure but I need to know why.

Does this make sense?

Used 40HP case with known oil sump water pitting but still in OK shape.
I soda blasted it to get the crap out.
I pulled all galley plugs and cleaned everything after blasting
Every part was new or rebuilt and all parts individually cleaned.

My theory is this.
- When i soda basted the case my blaster was contaminated with other media
- I basically salted the walls (embedded) of the case with crap.
- The cleaning did not get this embedded crap out.

30 min engine break went fine. Changed oil after at it was good.

- I happened to flood the engine with 1 gal of gas after that (Bummer)
- Did not discover it till a week later AND after i tried to start the engine. (Double Bummer)

Could heat and gas in the case release crap from the engine case to destroy the engine in one hour? Because that is what happened.

If that does make sense will the case continue to release crap or ???

crap from 4 finger swipes of sludge after filtering (inch scale shown for comparison)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Close up of the same thing

Engine sludge and some of the pitting

Typical bearing after an hour.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

So it ran for an hour with that much gas in the oil?

Or did you notice the gas, drain it, more oil and then run?

If it ran with that much gas in the oil it was screwed anyway
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

What was your cleaning regiment after soda blasting the case?
Did you run rifle brushes through every bore?
That certainly didn't look metallic, had the engine sat outside before you got to rebuild it?
I'll say, the easiest explanation is that you missed a pocket of sludge when you cleaned it. There are a lot of hidden pockets in there, I know as I did the exact same thing once and wiped all the bearings out.
I assume the engine was not running a full flow oil filter, but this is a good argument for one.
You didn't by chance run a used oil cooler did you?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
So it ran for an hour with that much gas in the oil?

No. never ran with gas in the case. 1 hour total time from new to terminal diagnosis.

Ran 30 min before gas issue. Gas problem happened but did not discovered until after cranking the engine and of course pumping the gas around but it never fired. Drained. New oil.

Engine fired up and soon after the knock started. Then ran about another 30 minutes after this before i knew the knock was terminal.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
What was your cleaning regiment after soda blasting the case?

High pressure water, Nylon brush, mild detergent. Blow out with compressed air. Let dry and blow out again. Then wipe down with de-greaser. After that i put all the galley plugs back in. Press fit with loctite 609.

esde wrote:
Did you run rifle brushes through every bore?

Yes. Pulled all plugs and bought a set of brushes for each size. There is one galley that has a kink in it. Almost lost the brush in that one....

esde wrote:
That certainly didn't look metallic, had the engine sat outside before you got to rebuild it?

Don't know but suspect at some time it has water in the case as the oil sump was pretty corroded. Part of me wonders is that was just released magnesium from the case rot or aggregate from my blaster.

esde wrote:
I'll say, the easiest explanation is that you missed a pocket of sludge when you cleaned it. There are a lot of hidden pockets in there, I know as I did the exact same thing once and wiped all the bearings out.
I assume the engine was not running a full flow oil filter, but this is a good argument for one.

That is what i really, really want to believe. Hence the questions will more come.

Full Flow was not on it. This is a 100% stock restoration. This is right now one of my safety net ideas if i use this case again. I do not want to run one long term but maybe at start-up.

esde wrote:
You didn't by chance run a used oil cooler did you?

No. It was also new. I just washed it out this weekend (post tear down) with mineral spirits. Nothing came out of it.

Strange thing is as i cleaned the engine this weekend the only place i found heavy sludge & debris was in the case bottom. Nowhere else. I found evidence it was there but nothing still there. Almost like it pumped through, did its damage and settled.

Uggg... I need to understand this.....

Parts i am looking for:
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

thats just straight up dirt and gravel, that sadly, was still in the case somewhere.

clean clean clean, and then when you think its clean, clean it three more times. as mentioned, run brushes through every single oil passage. compressed air.

*edit you posted a reply stating you did all this
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

many sludges need help ,soap&h2o dont work on them so wekk not even with presure wshing. break clean works good, but neds to be done a good few times as well as compressed aie in every hole, this encludes the cam tower holes and all agllys, Ive seen many cases that didnt get the small pully end olug pulled and it's all funked up there. also, pickup tube's can be issues, replace them with every rebuild.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

proper machine shop jet wash with caustic soda and hot water. then a pressure washer jet in all the passages until clean. The only time a case would be beaded with walnut shells would be to re plate it. The crap will come out of it but again it takes about 20 - 30 minutes in a machine shop professional jet parts washer, a good stream of a high pressure washer in all the passages, AND lots of high pressure compressed air. A long copper wand to run air down to the ends of the passages helps too. You'll feel the stuff coming out of the passages and screw holes until you get all of it.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

Thank you again. Guess clean was not clean enough. Guess i will have to find a proper hot wash locally. (Orange County, CA)

Parts i am looking for:
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

What bearing was making the knock and what does it look like?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
What bearing was making the knock and what does it look like?

#3 & #4 seem to be the likely sources. Rod bearings look like this.

Rod journals both have a shadows on them at Top and Bottom end and deep scratches. The arc in this image. That is not lighting. Both sides of journal have this on both #3 & #4. Crank was NOT polished by me but was clean and smooth when i started. (done by PO)

Parts i am looking for:
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

That's certainly not good, but I've seen worse that didn't knock.
The strange mark on the rod journal is new to me, and I think it's worth some further discussion. My hunch is that rod is twisted or bent.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

While the gravel is alarming, you haven't found the cause of any knock.

Maybe the bearings were the wrong size or something.
Check the lifter bores?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
That's certainly not good, but I've seen worse that didn't knock.
The strange mark on the rod journal is new to me, and I think it's worth some further discussion. My hunch is that rod is twisted or bent.

Thank you I am no engine builder but man i want to learn and do this myself. Any advise or leads are appreciated.

Regarding that shadow on the rod journal. I am having the crank ground this time. I did not first time as i was under the impression it was done.

Regarding rods. Again was under the impression they were rebuilt. (Fresh grinds on both ends) One of them does have a "ding" on the forge mark so maybe... Likely to replace these just in case.

Let me ask this. Is it normal for 40HP rods to have chamfers at the rod cap seam after they are re-ground? From looking at other 40HP rods this seams normal. Like this. (Not my rods or my picture. Happy to remove is asked)

modok wrote:
While the gravel is alarming, you haven't found the cause of any knock.

Maybe the bearings were the wrong size or something.
Check the lifter bores?

Thank you.

Regarding lifter bores. I did replace the lifters. They did seem to fit well in the bores. Lifters are now shot both at the top and the shank so i am sure my bores are not healthy any more. How loose can they be? Did not thin they could cause knock. Hmmm...

Regarding bearing size. I plastigaged every bearing at assy to check fit.

To all of these ideas. Why would the engine not knock from the get-go? Why the correlation to when the engine flooded or delayed onset of the knock? That puzzles me.

Thank you for the insight.

Parts i am looking for:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

If .751 fits more than .250 into the lifter bore I'd call it bad.
That's about ..005 or .006 clearance

Just a guess. I remember several other bead blasted engine cases where the lifters and the bored just ate each other.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

Got pictures of cam and lifters?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

That is exactly why I am not a fan of blasting any case. A Hot-Jetwash is best to clean cases. There is just too many nooks and crannies in the case to put all them debris -

Heads and pistons you can blast all you want and sheetmetals.

Goodness -
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

those rods don't look anywhere near the quality I would trust in mine.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

As a person who has spent most of their life in agriculture this magnified view bears more than a passing resemblance to potting mix with most of the organic material removed. I see what looks to be vermiculite, pearlite, mica-grow, and some strands of peat moss.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you "salt" an engine case? Like the old time gold miner? Reply with quote

Didn’t see this mentioned but did how did you clean the oil cooler ? It’s quite common for people to reuse old oil coolers. Most just run the parts washer nozzle into one side and run it till it flows clean, SOP I’ve done it myself many times and it usually works. However the two dominant air cooled engine manufacturers Continental and Lycoming never reuse oil coolers having found that it’s impossible to clean an oil cooler 100%. Looking at your situation there was residual blasting material combined with whatever funk was trapped deep inside oil galleries. I’ve seen this scenario before. I saw one man build an engine 3 times because he had to bead blast the case every time. 4th time was a charm when he skipped the blast.

The larger takeaway here is shitcan that oil cooler, don’t even attempt to reuse. You’d be surprised how that blasting media works it’s way into everything, even the pleats of the pushrod tubes and the pushrods and rocker arms. It’s nearly impossible to get it all out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: