Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Moe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

Good morning guys,

So going at it again after 12 years! I'm currently buying the parts I need for a 1776 build up on Scat.
I just don't know the size bore I need for that size piston.

So I have the following questions:

1) what size is the bore for the the regular 1600cc d/p?

2) and what size bore on the heads do I get for a 1776cc?
A) 85.5mm
B) 92mm
C) 94mm

Thank you yall
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

90.5 = 1776cc
92 (thick wall) = 1835cc
94 = 1915cc

paired with stock 69mm crank of course.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

Just a heads up....there are MUCH better heads available than a set of Scat "pro-stock" heads. Especially for a small 1776. Not sure if you are stuck on Scat parts, but quite a bit has changed in the last 12-15 years for parts quality and availability.

Why don't you list what you are trying to do with this thing?

-What is it going in?
-Are you wanting to keep the heater boxes?
-What kind of carb/carbs?
-What exhaust?
-What are you hoping to rev the RPM to?
-Are you wanting a stop light racer, or a cross country driver?

What I am getting at is tossing a set of "big valve" heads on a little 1776 will make for a gutless little engine. A set of properly built 35x32 or 37x32 heads will make more power over a wider RPM range, and be FAR more pleasant to drive.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

I have stock valve heads on my 1776 with a nice 3 angle valve job happy little motor. I would put them in the hands of a experienced porting guy before buying big valve heads
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

I would atleasy add a stroker crank to go with it and bump the power up. it's been 10 years since Ive seen those scat heads, back then for the cost they were pretty nice. I did a few motors that used them. now days I would go the pan of cheetos route unless there out of $$ range from the scats.
Big Moe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

Wow....okay, so things have definitely changed.

So I'm probably going to put all the stuff I had behind and start new.

I have a few cases, and a have a set of 1641cc mahle pistons.

I'm trying to build an engine with my son as his daily driver.

Whos good now for engine parts then? Who has the best rebuild kits, the best heads and carbs?

Is Empi still low budget? 🤔

I've been out for a while 😆
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

sled wrote:
90.5 = 1776cc
92 (thick wall) = 1835cc
94 = 1915cc

paired with stock 69mm crank of course.

Just to be clear, 92TW require heads and case to be cut for 94s. They do make 92TW that have heads cut for 94 and case cut for 90.5/92. Standard wall 92s have the heads and case cut for 90.5/92.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

If you want good quality and deal with a single vendor.. it's hard to be CB's Builder's Choice kits.

https://www.cbperformance.com/Builder-s-Choice-Engine-Kits-s/116.htm

I've used them as the base for a few builds I did for customers and all the parts are high quality, the parts fit and work well together. All customers are happy with what they got.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

For just heads and with a 1776, I wouldn't hesitate to order those chinese heads from carcraft, opened for 90.5s, small ports, stock ish valves, single hi-rev springs.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

For a simple fun engine for a young kid, I would build this...

-Stock crank and rods, rebuilt.
-AA 90.5 A's, or 92 thick wall A's, Grant cast rings.
-New AA500 35x32 heads, blend the bowls, get a good 3+ angle valve job. Here is a link about it. The heads in the link are single ports, but the same rules apply to dual ports.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682243&highlight=

-Cams are tough to find right now. Web is starting to get more back on the shelf. CB is still a ways out. If you can get one, a cb2239 or cb2232 is great. In a bug and 1835cc's, the Web 218/119 wouldn't be bad.
-Light 12.5lbs flywheel
-Stock heater boxes,
-CB hideout header and muffler
-Swap meet rebuilt dual kadrons, scat linkage
-Re-use all the stock OE tin.
-Cut down the stock push rods
-Stock rockers on solid shafts
-.045" deck height
-8.8:1 compression

It will go together easy, should be around 100hp. It will keep up with traffic, and pull hills, but it won't be to much to always be getting in trouble.

The biggest problem with the "kits" is the vendor has no idea what you are going to put it in, or what your driving style is. A 1915cc built for a bus is quite a bit different than a 1915cc built for a bug. I prefer to pick and choose my parts. No single vendor has all of the best parts. When I order parts for an engine, I get them from no less than 4-5 different vendors.

Brian
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
For a simple fun engine for a young kid, I would build this...

-Stock crank and rods, rebuilt.
-AA 90.5 A's, or 92 thick wall A's, Grant cast rings.
-New AA500 35x32 heads, blend the bowls, get a good 3+ angle valve job. Here is a link about it. The heads in the link are single ports, but the same rules apply to dual ports.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682243&highlight=

-Cams are tough to find right now. Web is starting to get more back on the shelf. CB is still a ways out. If you can get one, a cb2239 or cb2232 is great. In a bug and 1835cc's, the Web 218/119 wouldn't be bad.
-Light 12.5lbs flywheel
-Stock heater boxes,
-CB hideout header and muffler
-Swap meet rebuilt dual kadrons, scat linkage
-Re-use all the stock OE tin.
-Cut down the stock push rods
-Stock rockers on solid shafts
-.045" deck height
-8.8:1 compression

It will go together easy, should be around 100hp. It will keep up with traffic, and pull hills, but it won't be to much to always be getting in trouble.

The biggest problem with the "kits" is the vendor has no idea what you are going to put it in, or what your driving style is. A 1915cc built for a bus is quite a bit different than a 1915cc built for a bug. I prefer to pick and choose my parts. No single vendor has all of the best parts. When I order parts for an engine, I get them from no less than 4-5 different vendors.

Brian

Never a truer statement.
I too order parts from several reliable vendors. That way I get the parts I want.
Not what they want to sell to me!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

Brian

Most people don't know what works well together and can really screw up a build with mismatched parts... I fixed one of those last year.

If you just click on the website and order a kit, then you can be making a mistake.

A few years ago I worked with a customer that decided he wanted to go with CB's 2017 stroker kit. It was going into a 66 Bus and he wanted their EFI and crankfire. I worked with the CB staff to make small changes to the "kit". Those being primarily a different cam and lower compression via more cc's in the heads.

The final result was awesome and the customer loves it.

It's up to the end customer to know when they need professional help.

"A man needs to know his limitations".

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

Most guys behind the counter selling the parts don't know a whole lot more than the customer. Laughing They will just pick the parts with the best mark up, that might be in the ball park for the application.

CB is one of the few exceptions. Their price is higher for good reason.

For what this guy is after, I don't think he really needs a full kit. Order rebuilt stock crank and rods from DPR, get the cylinders, heads, bearings and cam from AA Performance, and a few of the small parts from CB. Have a local shop do the valve job, and balance work.

Brian
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

Brian has good reliable advice - worthwhile listening to. Also, keep the deck tight - .040 to .045 is the best
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
CB is one of the few exceptions. Their price is higher for good reason.

Brian

Exzackly.... If you don't know what you're doing, you need to talk to a "engine builder", not a parts salesperson.

The extra cost for the purchase, is well worth it in the end.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of heads do I need for a 1776cc build up?! Reply with quote

I have used Tims "super stock" heads for all small displacement builds, and they rock for the price. They are 32x37 but will do 32x35 also. Stand up guys that do top notch work

https://www.performanceworkshop.net/cylinder-heads
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: