Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blantos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just inherited what I believe to be a 1960 15 window Deluxe from a very close family friend who just sadly passed from kidney cancer at the age of 43. His life goal was to rebuild it and he was in the process of doing so. I actually picked this van up with him in New Orleans and drove it back to CA approximately 13 years prior. This trip/van inspired me to get a 1985 Vanagon myself ~4 years ago. Anyway, I'm kind of at a loss on what to do with this and was wondering how much (ballpark) it would cost to restore this and how much it could potentially be sold for (ballpark). Please see photos below.

Brian
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

It can easily cost $75k-$100k from this point to restore it. You can spend more or less depending on your standards.

Once restored, it can be sold for a bit less than it costs to restore it.

If you want the most money, sell it like it is.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

"Lind"'s advice is pretty much spot-on.

Caution - you're about to get all sorts of unsolicited low-ball offers for it "as-is". Consider them but consult with our more knowledgeable and honest members here for advice "Lind", "Clara", "Campingbox", "Buciobatisti" and "Oldbug.com" and a few others would be high on my list to listen to advice from...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

If your handy and have the time, space and inclination, then the two biggest obstacles look to be Paint and Headliner.

Anyone who has the time, space, inclination and a factory workshop manual can rebuild bus brakes, install bearings and seals, run new cables, electrics, install a motor, seats, lights etc without a lot of expensive tools. A good paint job though requires skill and specific expensive facilities and equipment. Likewise a good headliner can make or break a good restoration. Lots of good buses out there with saggy baggy misshapen headliners, don't do it.

It looks like a pretty straight and rust free bus and better place to start than most. Also I imagine a cathartic experience putting it back together.

This must be close to what its worth finished although it hasn't sold... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2586787

43yo that's a tragedy, sorry for your loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

getting it so it can drive on/off trailer _may_ improve its value
other than that restoring it would be for the passion and not the dough
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
If your handy and have the time, space and inclination, then the two biggest obstacles look to be Paint and Headliner.

Anyone who has the time, space, inclination and a factory workshop manual can rebuild bus brakes, install bearings and seals, run new cables, electrics, install a motor, seats, lights etc without a lot of expensive tools. A good paint job though requires skill and specific expensive facilities and equipment. Likewise a good headliner can make or break a good restoration. Lots of good buses out there with saggy baggy misshapen headliners, don't do it.

It looks like a pretty straight and rust free bus and better place to start than most. Also I imagine a cathartic experience putting it back together.

This must be close to what its worth finished although it hasn't sold... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2586787

43yo that's a tragedy, sorry for your loss.

Agree. If you are a little handy this seems to be a fairly easy project, especially if complete. Assuming inherited means it was free I would be building this bus. I dream of a project that dry and straight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

Sorry for the loss of your friend. From the pics, it actually looked amazing before the restoration commenced.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Caution - you're about to get all sorts of unsolicited low-ball offers for it "as-is". Consider them but consult with our more knowledgeable and honest members here for advice "Lind", "Clara", "Campingbox", "Buciobatisti" and "Oldbug.com" and a few others would be high on my list to listen to advice from...

Bill

Great advice ^^^

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

Dismantled Project buses aren’t worth much these days, there just isn’t the market. $35k would be reasonable if it’s complete, less if it’s missing seats, etc.
Restored to a high level, $80k-$100k at auction.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
charles henson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

It depends on what type of finish you want to have at the end of the restoration/refubishment.
Not every bus you see around has to be a shiny paint trophy winner type with $100k spent on it. It looks like a pretty complete car with all the stuff inside.
I am sure your friend (RIP) would of love to see it back on the road with you as he has kept it for so long, and did not even sell it when he was becoming ill.
If funds are available , maybe take it too a panel beater/ paint shop to get a qoute on doing any unfinished repairs and painting it.
Do not get to fussy on the interior, put it back together as is too see whats need to be sorted out and then look to buy second hand bits to make it usable or build a camper setup inside the back is cheap enough.
Spend the money on new rubber seals for windows to avoid water leaks.
Then onto a mechanic to get it running and ready for registration.
I am sure the enjoyment driving it will out way any money spent in the long run. Its easier to get the car on the road as is cheap as possible then fix things up to a nicer standard later if needed when you have the time and money to source parts at swap meets and the like. You can sell it for a lot more later on as a running drive able car then in boxes in pieces!
Hope my 2c worth makes good sence. cheers
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

Great bus, and if it was a "Life Project", then it will not matter how long or how much it takes to restore or make it roadworthy, sorry for your loss and good luck on this great bus.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blantos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your guys' input. Really appreciate it!
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

If you’re attached to the bus and want to enjoy it and the memories then go for it, it’s worth the effort. Otherwise sell it as is, you’ll regret the gray hair you’ll gain and the headaches from what you’ll go through to finish a complete restoration. As well as you’ll probably lose a large chunk of money if you sell after restoration. Killer bus
‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

I won't ever doubt the astronomical amounts often quoted for a "complete" bus restoration ($100K), but I think we need to more closely examine the cost factors. For example, did you get a $20k paintjob, or a good job at $3k perchance? How much work was done by others at $100/hr+ ? What ate your goals and expectations for "100% finished"?

The point is, not many of us who actually own an early bus have $60k plus invested ,or even more, spent getting it "completed". I would contend that the greater majority do their own work, and many have access to resources under $100/hr. Acquiring any bus in any condition is a much different game than 10 years ago, yet many of us have been owners since prices were manageable. Many of us have a bus worth 3-4 times what we spent right!?

So in the interest of accuracy maybe it's better to point out what's currently available for sale in comparison. What is the best route..... buy one complete where someone else overspent and you get a deal, or start with something that is already closer to the end- goal and work on it? I see this case is about determining this bus's sale value, but it's days and dollars will be determined Only by One individual , the lucky sob that decided that "taking it on since the price was right" is gonna be a worthwhile endeavor. I hold the opinion that there are plenty of car owners who should not gravitate to vintage or classic car ownership when they have no knowledge or ability , unless spending exhorbitant amounts of money is no obstacle to their follies or gives them personal fulfillment,.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

blantos wrote:
Hi there,

I just inherited what I believe to be a 1960 15 window Deluxe from a very close family friend who just sadly passed from kidney cancer at the age of 43. His life goal was to rebuild it and he was in the process of doing so. I actually picked this van up with him in New Orleans and drove it back to CA approximately 13 years prior. This trip/van inspired me to get a 1985 Vanagon myself ~4 years ago. Anyway, I'm kind of at a loss on what to do with this and was wondering how much (ballpark) it would cost to restore this and how much it could potentially be sold for (ballpark). Please see photos below.

Brian

Hi Brian. Welcome the the samba.
Bummer about your friend.
The bus looks pretty complete un dented and rust free.
Myself I think it was better before being taken apart, but going on from here. I would look in the faq at the top of the page and read the threads about buying and selling.
FAQ: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71827

Also look at the classifieds
That bus is like a twin to my April 61 corner window bus. Except less rust and dents. Awesome!

Basically… Do you want the keep the bus and drive it around? Needs a paint job and assembly and ? Mechanical.

Is that too much time hassle and money? Think about it for a while. Finding a decent 15 window is not easy. Not into it? Then sell. Bet you are already getting messages.
A German 15 is worth much more than a Brazilian 15
Not as much as a 21. But more than the average bus.

Do Research on values. Check the classifieds on the site.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Last edited by Clara on Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

What would your friend have wanted you to do with it? I'm guessing he picked you as the inheritor for a reason. He'd probably love to look down on you getting it back on the road and enjoying it as much as he did.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

my 2 cents
if you like the VW buses then yes restore it or at least put it back together your self and keep it forever
if you're really not that into them and don't have the time or inclination to work on it, you might as well sell it now, these things really are like a mog half car half hobby

and condolences
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

Bring a Trailer is a good resource for real sales, it’s documented and shows the range in prices. Some restored 15s have gone for $75k some for $125k, and there are a lot of variables involved in that range as a little research will show.
As mentioned, restoring a bus like this will not be cheap and if you pay someone to do it it’s going to be pricey, but since you got the bus for free, you could potentially still finish in the black depending on several factors. If you are handy and can do assembly and mechanical you would for sure make money of that’s your goal.
The irony is, since you got it for free, if you sell it as is, as a dismantled project bus, you’ll still make the same amount of money if not more then if you restore it.
If your goal is to have a very cool bus then this is a keeper no matter what route you choose.

$125k examaple: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-volkswagen-15-window-bus/

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

Put it together, drive it, and enjoy it. Have fun with it. They don't have to be perfect to enjoy.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Just inherited a 1960 15 Window Deluxe...requesting help Reply with quote

Not that it matters, but it looks like an early 61 to me, not a 60…
I vote you keep it to make your friend happy…
Unless he wanted you to sell it?
Sorry for your loss. Nice friend to leave you his bus. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: