Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

In refurbing the rear drums on my '77, the star wheel adjusters were seized solid in their bores.

I beat the piss out of one of the adjusters with a punch for probably 20 minutes and never got it to move. Then it dawned on me to use leverage.

I found that a CV axle bolt from my 911 is the same thread/pitch as the adjuster that threads into the star wheel.

An impact wrench and literally 5 seconds and each one came out. Essentially you're forcing the star wheel out as the bolt bottoms out and keeps turning. Very similar to what a lot of you guys use to get the brass spacer out for the starter shaft.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe this was common knowledge, but it helped me tremendously. I thought maybe it might help someone else on here in the future.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

next time put some penetrating oil on it, go have lunch and when you come back it will come out a lot easier. WD40 is not penetrating oil BTW.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

very clever! thanks for sharing this.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
very clever! thanks for sharing this.
Basically red rust is a molecule larger then the steel it changes so it swells up and jams things. It also increases friction. Black rust is a FE O2 reaction too but it is a smaller molecule. True penetrating oil - PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench etc., have chemicals in them that change the red rust (large molecule) to black rust (small molecule) and lubricates to reduce friction at the same time. That helps free things up. I broke an exhaust stud one night and the other 3 did not want to budge on a sports car I had. A machinist I knew said use some penetrating oil overnight. So I tried, what was left of the one that snapped unscrewed with my fingers, and the nuts on the other three became very easy to remove. I keep a can around always now because of it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

I've used lots of different brands of penetrating oil. Kroil penetrating oil is hands down the best I've used. As Steve stated, apply it, have lunch and it will do wonders in loosening up rusted parts.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

Krol and Gibbs works best.

Oh.. and HEAT.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

Using an appropriate high temperature grease during assembly helps a lot.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

28 seconds of propane would have saved you 28 minutes of tool noise
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

LOL, no good deed here...
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:
LOL, no good deed here...

Your tip is excellent and has been used by me many times. Takes seconds to get frozen adjusters free, oil or no.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

It's a good deed, man, dont sweat it. I did it that way also.

I never knew the bit about large rust molecules vs small rust molecules, so your post added value. I'll have to look that one up.

Thanks,
Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

Good idea but doesn't work when the shoes are locked against the drum as they were on my '78 Bay Window. I ended up breaking off as much of the star wheel as I could with cold chisels and then drilling thru the exposed adjuster stud. No amount of penetrating oil worked. Needless to say I had to replace both backing plates as well as the adjuster studs & star wheels.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

Heat took this crap off, with hand tools. It’s the magic of thermo…..

wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Okay, can you guys educate me on using heat? I've had very little luck in the past using it, if ever.

I do not have an oxyacetylene torch, unfortunately.

I have a MAPP gas torch (I was told this is hotter than the blue propane bottle), so have used this on multiple occasions with no success.

I can literally hold the flame on a bolt head for 3 minutes and sure, the penetrating oil will smoke like crazy and the bolt head might actually turn cherry red, but the seized part of the bolt down in the bore doesn't get hot enough. In fact, I had tried using heat on one of these star wheel adjusters. That didn't work so I beat on it. When that didn't work I had to think of a better way.

I have even debated about getting an induction heater.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, so what's the secret?
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

I was taught to heat the metal housing/nut that the bolt threads into, not the bolt itself. This causes the metal to expand around the bolt while the bolt stays relatively cool or doesn't expand as much as the housing it threads into creating a small gap for penetrating lube to get into and in most cases, lessening/freeing up the seized areas so that the bolt will free up instead of breaking.

So for the star adjusters, I would heat the housing that they sit in and then spray penetrating lube in then heat again and spray and then try to free up the star adjusters. Using high-torque leverage like a bolt threaded in and pushing from the bottom of the star adjuster on the housing cup would work better than using pliers or vice grips on the exterior of the star adjuster.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Good GOD, you ARE the Rust Belt.... not just living in it...... Wink Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

Another plus for Chicago! It just keeps getting better.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip for Removing Seized Rear Brake Star Wheel Adjusters Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Good GOD, you ARE the Rust Belt.... not just living in it...... Wink Wink Wink

Right?!

That there is the real deal rot/rust from salt. The rest of the car must look a bit concerning as well...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: